Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

SR Harris Fabric Outlet

Hey,
    Has anyone ever been up to SR Harris? I went up there yesterday and was pretty crazy the amount of stuff they have in there.

Wondering if someone has done much with the nylons up there. They dont have weights/yard on anything up there so it seems like it would be difficult to make a big project nice and lightweight.

I'm as new as can be to DIY and they just didnt seem to have time to deal with me up there. But the great thing is all the fabrics are 50% off all the time.
    So i picked up a rem 50"x45" for like $6 and figure ill try and make a couple roll top stuff sack to learn how to sew.

Any comments on someone elses experience who actually knows what there doing would be great.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not familiar with that store, but from my experience, most local places just don't have to top end high quality fabrics unless you get lucky every once in a while. I found some 1.1 oz ripstop from walmart once with dwr and cleaned them out. I learned to sew on scraps and started with stuff sacks. Learn your machine, keep it clean. Change your needles. Use the right size needle for the job. Go slow. Don't look at the needle when you sew, look at the edge of the fabric and line it up with the allowance marks on your machine if it has them. If not, you can lay down tape or draw them on with a sharpie. Let the machine pull the fabric through don't pull or push it. Most importantly, have fun learned a useful skill!
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe / DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    All of my DIY projects have matrial from SR Harris. You can feel the difference between 1.1 and 1.9 ripstop material. Most of the ripstop fabricis in the camo area. I know it is kind of an over whelming place, but I have had good conversations with people in there. Ask the customers what to do, they will most likely give you advice on how to go about cutting some material. While the staff seems to be unhelpful, they will help if asked.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah, overwhelming is a good description for the place. I guess if you've got the time to hunt through everything and get lucky enough to find some lighter weight ripstop maybe it's a decent deal. When I stopped in I hunted and hunted and didn't spot any 1.1oz stuff; all I found seemed to be 1.9oz if not heavier or camo patterns that didn't really float my boat. Honestly you're probably going to do better just ordering from Backwoods Daydreamer or elsewhere online - you'll get exactly what you want without hunting and pay about the same if not less. HYOH and TIYOF (Tread Inject Your Own Fabric )

• + New Posts