Built-in SOS, neon & phosphorescence

Dear readers,

I'm a gram weanie. I also follow the Leave-no-trace philosophy. I cannot help but to think out new ideas for camping and hammocking along these lines, hence this post.

I did my bachelor's thesis in biology on bioluminescent mushrooms, which got me reading the the glow-in-the-dark-stuff websites that are out there. Combining these interests it ocurred to me that if you have a tarp that has a non-conspicous colour on one side, and phosphorescent or neon colour on the other side, this could double as a huge SOS-sign.

If you're in a pinch, you fold the tarp into a triangle (the universal SOS shape) and lay it out on ground that is visible from above. It would then be either stupendously conspicous in neon pink, or it would be glowing in the dark as per phosphorescence. If you're doing fine, the phosphorescent side could double as lighting when the tarp is used normally, over your hammock.

Normally I hate screaming colours but this is a way to build-in more functions in the material that you are bringing on a trek anyway, AND if it has a non-conspicupous colour on the one side, I won't get heart palpitations from a colour like "insane orange" or "crazy pink" or "madman yellow".

Now, I wanted to get your thoughts on this. Does it already exist? Have you had similar ideas? Anything else you'd like to add? Thanks guys, you're the best.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Interesting idea. Not sure how keen i'd be with a built in nightlight every time i stealth hung or simply wanted to sleep!

But it would be awesome to see at night!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Sure, sure.
    I guess you could have a reflective material instead. That way it would reflect light from helicopters or moonlight instead of the material giving off light of its own. Then it could double as a reflective blanket on the inside of the tarp if you're not in a SOS-situation.

If you'd still want phosphorescence though, there are paints and materials that last for different time lengths. from 30mins to 12hours, or thereabouts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Not to Rain on the parade but for me LNT is not just about in the park, it has to be global. Personally i would like to see people increase their skill levels and reduce all the buying of more technology.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Not to Rain on the parade but for me LNT is not just about in the park, it has to be global. Personally i would like to see people increase their skill levels and reduce all the buying of more technology.
    What we need..., is more plastic bags blowing around the planet.

"LNT is not just about in the park, it has to be global"

I agree with this, but I don't know where you'd get the idea that som people think that it's "just for the park". I've never heard of anyone camping in the parks in this part of the world. LNT is just the default. It's what you do.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    The bio luminescence is not bright enough to really see by. It may be enough for a glow but that's about it. There would have to be a chemical reaction like a light stick to make it brighter and that doesn't last long. Has any one noticed that you really don't see foxfire any more? It's simply because there's too much light pollution. Foxfire is not that bright. That's why I'm saying it might not work. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    LNT and other practices of conservation have to start somewhere. Think globally, act locally as they say.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

nyhiker:
    yep bioluminescence is generally very week, but it depends on a multitude of factors. fireflies are generally brighter than foxfire because of different biochemical causes. I'm talking about phosphorescence though. some are short acting and some are longer acting, with varying intensities. some paints last a good 6 hours with fair intensity, if it has been "charged" enough.

I'm sorry to hear you hardly see foxfire any more. fungi are a vital part of an ecosystem. we unfortunately (but naturally) don't get them at all here in sweden. although I did see Armillaria mellea the other day

• + New Posts