Hammock
    TBD!

Rockslyvanian Adventure Question

"Can I borrow your hammock?" Is the most recent question that caused me to register here on Hammock Forums. But it's only the latest question in an interesting series. Here's the rest of the story...

My husband's 16 yr old 'pup' is no longer able to hike/camp with us, so I've been striking out solo for about a year. It's peaceful, it's wonderful, and I love the solitude.

Over the summer, for the solstice, I took off for my first overnighter by myself. My plan was to camp off the AT along a ridge where a few years ago I freaked out about camping there due to evidence of bear (I'm unreasonably terrified of bears). That initial adventure ended with tickets from the local authorities because we camped on watershed property. This time I was out to conquer my fears.

My pack was heavier than I thought. I had the tent, the pad, the sleeping bag, water, snacks...everything that would have been split two ways before. I hoisted everything on my back and up the mountain I went.

The way out to the ridge, to the spot I remembered, was difficult. I lost the trail, got caught up in some rodos, and scrambled over boulders. Then it got worse. Upon finding the trail I noticed...evidence... a suspiciously overturned rock, bear poo, a log destroyed by scratching... and then a recent path of paw prints through the stilt grass. The stilt grass alone was disheartening- it had erased places where I knew I saw old hunter's fire circles- the bear tracks were terrifying.

With the sun's light quickly fading from the sky and my heart racing I decided to get off the ridge and camp somewhere else. I was defeated- but not enough to go home. I hiked another mile and a half on the Pinnacle Spur trail (off the AT) hoping to find a level place to set up for the night. When I came to the border of the Game Lands my only hope was that a hunter maybe made a spot up in the woods. No such luck. But off the trail it started to level out and so I pushed up through the trees until I'd have just enough light to set up the tent before darkness fell. I couldn't get the pegs in quite right due to the rocks so I slept in a saggy tube all night. And it was wonderful.

The half moon peeked out from the clouds, the 17-year cicadas chirped, white tailed deer moved through and made annoying grunting huffing sounds (probably because I was in their level spot). I slept well enough cuddled up with a rock poking on my right side. In the morning I enjoyed the forest, the trees and all of it.

On my way home, I met an AT through hiker named Stripe. He had been naked hiking (for the solstice) until he freaked a local guy out at the Pinnacle. He was wearing a mere kerchief when I met him, but that's another story. He told me about a book he read about through hiking the AT. I can't remember the title even though I looked it up on Amazon. On Amazon I even read the first few pages of the book- it wasn't bad, just not something I was going to buy. The one thing I do remember was that the through hiker had a Hennessy Hammock. And I thought to myself... well, now isn't that a great idea.

And so here I am, on the eve of the equinox still thinking about hammocks.

I always, always, always research things before I purchase. I can't afford to buy more than one, and I want something that's going to work the best for me. Since I've never actually slept in any hammock of any kind this one has me spinning. Especially because I'm thinking about my next solo trip and imagining how great it would be to lighten the pack and set up for a comfy perfect evening under the stars.

How do I know if I'm going to like a hammock? What if it's uncomfortable? I like to sleep flat on my back if I can help it. I need a bug net. I hate velcro. I can learn to tie knots. I'm 5"2' 120 lbs- can I get away with a kid's version? Of course I'm thinking about a HH. Yes, I've read dozens of threads here and might even have some of the lingo down.

Here's the thing: Can I borrow your hammock? I'm neat, clean, organized and honest. I would be happy to pay shipping both ways to borrow your hammock just to try it out at home and send it back. Let me know if you're interested and we can work out the details.

Thanks for being part of the adventure!

Julie

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images

Re: Rockslyvanian Adventure Question

Julie,
    I recommend you find a local gathering of hammock hangers. That way you get to check out the various setups out there.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Where in PA do you live. There are bunch of us here and I for one woul;d be happy to show you my Hennessy and let you try it out.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WL Bullfrog/Tadpol
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies

Re: Rockslyvanian Adventure Question

Hey Julie. If you'd like you can borrow my eno single nest set up if you would like. I live in Reading but I work in Hamburg so there probably wouldn't be any shipping involved. Send me a pm if you want.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the site. Words of warning ...

1) Tons of info here, don't try to wrestle it all in one or two sittings. Take your time.
    2) Look up Shug, either through his links here or straight thru youtube. He has a whole series of how to stuff for beginners.
    3) If you're looking to start inexpensive, search the site for table cloths (there are several threads about them.) I made my kids' hammocks from these and they love them.

Good luck,
    STinGa
    Last edited by STinGa; 09-19-2013 at 17:56. Reason: fixin' some typos
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a HH and a DIY bridge. If you are not to far into PA I would be happy to meet up and pass it off for you to try. By the way. I Love my HH.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I knew from your description you got ticketed in Hamburg. They are tough out there. We met some forest rangers at the trailhead in Eckville and two things they (at least a few of the rangers) love to bust you for are starting and ending at the same trailhead (never heard of that being a problem until I was told), and camping near the Pinnacles. Also, one ranger told me of a large group that he made a point to check their club blog and ticket after the fact for too large of a group. Just sayin' so you can stay out of trouble along that watershed corridor.

Not saying all rangers are bad (I met quite a few nice officers on that trip), but I guess they deal with so many violators that after a while some get tired......

Hammock
    TBD!

!!!Thank you!!!

You guys are awesome! Yeah, it was the Hamburg rangers that got me- at least it wasn't a bear! In a way, I considered it a donation for all the good times I've had out in the woods there. I'm really fortunate to have a beautiful area to hike with so many ways to make loops that's close to home and not too crowded. Thank you for all of your suggestions, ideas, and offers! I look forward to meeting and talking to you!

All the best!

Julie

• + New Posts