Thread: Is it worth it?

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Is it worth it?

So, I am super excited that I ordered an underquilt shell from underquilts.com. Should be here fairly soon! So now I am on the hunt for some down. I have found a lot of down pillows and comforters online of 550-650 fp down for under a hundred bucks. Many are 28-34 ounces of down each. So my question is is it worth the hassle of removing all of that down and transferring it all over to the underquilt and have enough leftover to make an overquilt? Or better to buy one ounce bags to make it easier? I appreciate the help!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    How much warmth and lightness do you want? Pillows are not made for warmth. They have a high percentage of feathers and will weigh more than straight down for the same temp rating. 550-650 fp down is mediocre at best in today's market. For me... it wouldn't be worth it. For you.... only you can decide.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    How much warmth and lightness do you want? Pillows are not made for warmth. They have a high percentage of feathers and will weigh more than straight down for the same temp rating. 550-650 fp down is mediocre at best in today's market. For me... it wouldn't be worth it. For you.... only you can decide.
    +1

Anyway, good down makes a lousy pillow as it is too compressible.

I'd get the down from a commercial down supplier (in bulk) or buy it pre-packaged....Actually, I won't DIY down projects, but I guess it's too late for that, for you!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Some of our cottage vendors sell by the ounce and it is very high quality at fair prices.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    +1

Actually, I won't DIY down projects, but I guess it's too late for that, for you!
    Not me, I love DIYing anything Down..That is where the fun is at, not to mention, you save alot of money.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Not me, I love DIYing anything Down..That is where the fun is at, not to mention, you save alot of money.
    When I was looking at the ARGON material, I was tallying up the costs, and it wasn't a whole lot of savings for a DIY 3-season with overstuff compared to what you could get from the vendors here :/ Maybe I just don't know where to look for the best down deals.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I believe you ordered a winter weight Foyle - if so, then you need 13 oz of 850 down. Wilderness Logics has 850 for $7.00 an oz.

"My Luxe" pillows from ebay have 800 down and a lot of members here have good things to say about them. "My Flair" pillows have 600 fill.

Is it worth it to go to all the trouble of getting down from jackets, pillows, etc? Only you can answer that. I for one get down from name brand jackets from places like Goodwill and it's 700 fill. To me, it's worth the trouble. To others it won't be. I don't mind filling and weighing little bags of down for my projects. Much of what I make goes to friends and family who can't afford all the latest whiz bang stuff.

I still use the first uq I made using down from a Kmart pillow - probably 550 fill and it has feathers in it. Have I "upgraded"? No, as I see no reason to - it still keeps me warm and yes, it weighs much more than an 850 fill uq.

You can save money on diy - only you can put a price on your time.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    my personal opinion-------just buy the down (wilderness logics in the little packets) Loose down flys every where, makes a huge mess, and I have no idea how these guys seperate the down and put it in little bags for stuffing--I like DIY buy down drives me crazy!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You be the judge. Cut open a pillow or.....

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    I believe you ordered a winter weight Foyle - if so, then you need 13 oz of 850 down. Wilderness Logics has 850 for $7.00 an oz.

"My Luxe" pillows from ebay have 800 down and a lot of members here have good things to say about them. "My Flair" pillows have 600 fill.

Is it worth it to go to all the trouble of getting down from jackets, pillows, etc? Only you can answer that. I for one get down from name brand jackets from places like Goodwill and it's 700 fill. To me, it's worth the trouble. To others it won't be. I don't mind filling and weighing little bags of down for my projects. Much of what I make goes to friends and family who can't afford all the latest whiz bang stuff.

I still use the first uq I made using down from a Kmart pillow - probably 550 fill and it has feathers in it. Have I "upgraded"? No, as I see no reason to - it still keeps me warm and yes, it weighs much more than an 850 fill uq.

You can save money on diy - only you can put a price on your time.
    I like the idea of getting my own down and repurposing other items. how do you go about removing it and weighing it out? I have seen the trick of using a shop vac with some mesh over the tube. Is this pretty effective? How do you go about weighing out one ounce at a time? Thanks Much!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast