Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)

Hiking among the oaks with a Warbonnet

I spent 3 and a half days in Henry Coe State Park. This is a low elevation park, but it's got quite a lot going for it especially in early spring. We had perfect weather - the few clouds disappeared by the end of the first day so was all sunshine and clear moonlit skies. On the first night we camped on a ridge. I got to do a one tree hang on a HUGE oak tree.

We were a meetup group, which essentially means you hike with people who you just met. One of my three companions for this trip was a college student who asked that her pics not be posted online, so you won't get to see her using my Hennessy any old way she wanted to. At one point she hung the ends close together and sat in it like a swing. The hammock doesn't appear to be damaged....

On the second night, the wind was feeee-rocious. I didn't put the tarp up on the ridge because things were so calm and peaceful; when we camped near a pond the second night, those calm breezes turned into gusts of wind that seemed to be headed for Oz. I put up the Cathedral tarp (Preacha's Wife special) and hunkered down under it with my stove.

That distance shot also shows (in the top of the branches to the left) a hiking companion's tent, a one person REI model. By comparison I look like I'm using a six person tent. The corner tarp tie outs were staked down to the ground, the middle two on each side were guyed out further to provide room. The (less than prepared) hiking companion who borrowed my HH also borrowed the handful of mason line I had for using the grip clips to hang her food.

Here's the wackiness that was the third night's hang:

This was the one spot I felt I could hang and still be part of the group I was (nominally) leading. China Hole is a narrow canyon with steep hillsides, where two creeks meet and there's precious little space for tents. I would have gone uphill if not for the feeling that we were being watched; three women in the wilderness and one bear spray between them, I didn't feel right going in search of better trees. We had frost on everything in the morning but it wasn't a hard freeze, as the water wasn't frozen in either of my bladders. My straps are soaking in Tecnu as the large tree is covered with poison oak. Trekking poles make great hanging aids as I was able to get the strap around the tree with it without much hands on contact.

This was the first hang I got close to being uncomfortable in the Blackbird. I had to choose between a decent hanging angle and not scraping the foot end of quilt or hammock on the dead oak branch on the ground. (This was a seriously large branch - the oak trees in this park are like grandaddy trees.) Ultimately I put my fleece down my back to offset the chilly spot on my back rather than play with the straps in the freezing cold.

I would not have been able to replicate this hang in my HH, so I gave the one really good spot nearer the water to the young lady using the HH.

This is a really great place to bring beginner backpackers. I say this because a lot of the trip was spent hiking along ridge tops and the cell phone reception was great, plus they have this zone system so they know where you are each night, plus if you do not get back to drive off in your car they WILL come looking for you, which is easy to do as many of the trails are actually dirt roads. The map is a great resource with water sources marked clearly in blue. Within a certain radius of headquarters you camp where designated and they only allow groups of eight in any zone, so it's not particularly crowded.

A ranger stopped in his truck as we were hiking to the ridge top one evening and offered us water - I'm sure he was flipping out that two women more than 14 miles out from the entrance were walking with no gear whatsoever in the evening. We were camped at the bottom of the hill. While we were camped in China Hole, a rescue helicopter with a litter across the skids went north, then half an hour later went south again. Couldn't see anyone in the litter. But obviously they are more than prepared to be out the door and looking.

We didn't see the wild pigs that were obviously plentiful, from the ripped up meadows we walked through. We did see lots and lots of huge wild turkeys, lots of butterflies, and tons of wildflowers, bugs, and small creatures like cottontail rabbits, salamanders, frogs, and coots. It was the perfect time to go, as soon all that lovely green grass will dry up and turn to stickers to jam up in your socks and the temps will rise to 100F or more - but right now the creek crossings were easy, the views from ridge tops were constantly awesome, and the overall feel was tranquility with occasional interruptions by groups of college kids tromping around with their huge packs. Happily, they marched right on by and left us slowpokes to hunt good pictures with our cameras.

Some other pics:

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

nice report

Nice report and great pictures!
    Thanks for sharing that.

Wishing _I_ could get out and stomp around in the woods for a bit.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Nice report and pics! Beautiful. It won't look like that for at least another couple months here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That sure is some beautiful country you got there. Its been a long time since I have seen grass that green other than at a golf course. Stupid brown desert

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Any time you get out this direction look up the Fresno-Madera Hiking Group and come along. We've even had folks from England show up.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    thanks for the report lori. I have been itchin to get out and try my gear in a real setting, what are some of the better places to go in coe park?
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Thanks, great photos.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Great trip and pics! Makes me look forward to spring; I'm watching it snow right now.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    thanks for the report lori. I have been itchin to get out and try my gear in a real setting, what are some of the better places to go in coe park?
    There are too many routes possible - it's a huge park and it all depends on the mileage you want to do. The most popular areas for camping are close to headquarters but the further you go, the less people you see. China Hole was neat, Coit Lake area had gorgeous flowers and loads of wildlife, but I think the fisherman go out to Mississipi lake. The best thing is to order the map and look at pics online, and go talk to one of their rangers.

The trails are easier to walk than the roads, btw. They show lots of switchbacks on the map but many are shared with bikes so are mostly gentle sloping walks through some gorgeous scenery. The roads many times take you up steeper switchbacks or straight up the ridge. My calves were feeling the downhill of the roads going out to our first site. A couple of times my feet went out from under me on small rocks - the Gossamer Gear poles I just got were fantastic, kept me from butt sliding a few times.

Just be prepared for ticks and poison oak. Both are out and plentiful. I was quite happy to be hanging with permethrin treated straps. My tent camping buddies were watching them walk up their screen.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    That sure is some beautiful country you got there. Its been a long time since I have seen grass that green other than at a golf course. Stupid brown desert
    What are you talking about. The Supes have had green grass for a while now. In the valley itself however......ya hardly anybody even has grass.....stupid rock yards. All these **** kids around here have never known what it's like to earn money mowing lawns

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast