Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Northern Mt. St. Helens. First hammocking. Leave Tuesday, looking for suggestions

So I'm going to be hiking the Goat Creek trail ( http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/goat-creek-2 ), it is just north of Mt. St. Helens and travels into the blasted area for a small bit.

I leave Tuesday morning which I know is really soon but this is my first time backpacking in over a decade and my first time ever hammock camping. I wrote up my gear list, I would love opinions and suggestions. I understand most things I won't be able to do by Tuesday, but I figure at the very least I'll be better prepared next time with the advice I get now.

The trip is a three day trip, including one section that is ~6 miles before you see water. Sadly my base weight is 5 pounds heavier than I was aiming for

Here is my gear list, it is set up so you can comment on it, or you can comment here; whichever you prefere: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1E&usp=sharing

Thanks in advance, I plan to take a few pics with my phone and will write a report when I get back.

I am wondering if I posted this in the wrong forum. I saw trip planning and though it meant any trip, guidance regarding the correct subforum would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Insaniac99; 09-21-2013 at 04:39.

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    Sadly my base weight is 5 pounds heavier than I was aiming for

Here is my gear list, it is set up so you can comment on it, or you can comment here; whichever you prefere: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1E&usp=sharing

Thanks in advance, I plan to take a few pics with my phone and will write a report when I get back.
    I don't really count ounces or calories, but I know you are at less weight than I carry. I just pack up and get on the scale. I quickly learned I would go broke and/or be uncomfortable by buying the lightest stuff or ditching some things I find comfort in - like food, and solid rain protection . And my pack weight has come down, and could loose 2.5/3 more pounds if I bought a new pack. You'll realize real quick what can be improved, left behind, or reduced as you hike that gorgeous trail. Enjoy the trail, take quality pictures, and smell the roses. Remember the adventure rather than the equipment/weight. You have good notes on your equipment and can re-evaluate things when you get home. Good luck
    -Turtle Creek

Images
    Yours is like my 1st hammock trip 7 years ago: last minute! I was very used to ground dwelling but my friend convinced me to try a hammock maybe a week before I left sweltering MS for the high mountains of WY! It sure was a learning experience!

I notice your consumables are almost 14 lbs. Is this all your food and fuel? Is that including carried water? Seems like a lot for 3 days. But then again, hard to slight luxury eating if you were carrying steak and potatoes for baking! Still, 34 lbs for 3 days is not horrible, I've done a lot worse.

Do you need to carry plenty of water every day, at over 2 lbs per liter? ( I'm probably just missing it, but I didn't see water listed in your weights? Maybe it is just included in your consumables?)

What kind of temps are you expecting? That bag seems a bit much, but then again it's cheap and it is what you have on hand. ( I'm just brainstorming hear to see if I can come up with some suggestions)

Another thing I'm not seeing wts for worn clothing except for one 7 oz shirt?

Also, I see that your Atlas straps are 11.32 oz + ~ .5 oz for carrying bag, while your 15 foot harbor freight strap ( I use those) is only 2 oz? Is there anything that can be changed around there?

But either way, 34 lbs ain't that bad, you can still have a good time!

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Creek View Post
    I don't really count ounces or calories, but I know you are at less weight than I carry. I just pack up and get on the scale. I quickly learned I would go broke and/or be uncomfortable by buying the lightest stuff or ditching some things I find comfort in - like food, and solid rain protection . And my pack weight has come down, and could loose 2.5/3 more pounds if I bought a new pack. You'll realize real quick what can be improved, left behind, or reduced as you hike that gorgeous trail. Enjoy the trail, take quality pictures, and smell the roses. Remember the adventure rather than the equipment/weight. You have good notes on your equipment and can re-evaluate things when you get home. Good luck
    Thanks! I'll be sure to enjoy my time

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yours is like my 1st hammock trip 7 years ago: last minute! I was very used to ground dwelling but my friend convinced me to try a hammock maybe a week before I left sweltering MS for the high mountains of WY! It sure was a learning experience!

I notice your consumables are almost 14 lbs. Is this all your food and fuel? Is that including carried water? Seems like a lot for 3 days. But then again, hard to slight luxury eating if you were carrying steak and potatoes for baking! Still, 34 lbs for 3 days is not horrible, I've done a lot worse.

Do you need to carry plenty of water every day, at over 2 lbs per liter? ( I'm probably just missing it, but I didn't see water listed in your weights? Maybe it is just included in your consumables?)

What kind of temps are you expecting? That bag seems a bit much, but then again it's cheap and it is what you have on hand. ( I'm just brainstorming hear to see if I can come up with some suggestions)

Another thing I'm not seeing wts for worn clothing except for one 7 oz shirt?

Also, I see that your Atlas straps are 11.32 oz + ~ .5 oz for carrying bag, while your 15 foot harbor freight strap ( I use those) is only 2 oz? Is there anything that can be changed around there?

But either way, 34 lbs ain't that bad, you can still have a good time!
    dangit, I wrote a nice detailed reply and then the forum logged me out and I lost it and don't have time to rewrite it!

in summation:
    • temps 50/30F, rain expected multiple days
    • real consumable weight is just under 11, there was an error in the spreadsheet counting something twice, that is now fixed; thanks for making me look and find it!
    • water is in hydration pack, there will be a 6 mile trek with no water during part of it
    • only other sleeping bag I have is warmer, heavier, and more bulky
    • harbor frieght strap is untested and I don't know what material it is (and therefor if it will stretch, I am thinking about whoopies for next time due to weight. Still want the HF strap because we grow trees big here
    • Clothing that isn't weighed is because I didn't have time to get them on the scale and I figured them less important since I know I won't take it off (clothing is also my sun protection)

Have to dash to meet my lady I will elaborate more when I get time thanks for the suggestions so far!

Images

Northern Mt. St. Helens. First hammocking. Leave Tuesday, looking for sugges...

Hey just a tip for posting at the forum: I think you can tell it to keep you "always logged in". That's to avoid that frustration of it logging you out unexpectedly. If that can't be done, speaking from experience, I always try to remind myself to compose anything in a word processor, even just plain old notepad, And then copy it to Hammock forums. Saves a lot of grief when I can remember to do it! LOL!

I have used those yellow Harbor freight ratchet straps for years, mine have had virtually no stretch. Also very durable. I think they have a 1500 pound breaking point, and a 500 pound working range. The lower limit might be set by the actual metal ratchets. Or maybe not, the working range is always some significant smaller fraction of the breaking point.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the tip about staying logged in, I was trying to make a quick post on a different computer than usual and I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

I forgot to say, I would gladly leave my sleep pants and socks off of my list, but I have never tested this sleeping bag. It claims the comfort range is 20*, with the extremes of 10 and 30. I'm a skeptical person by nature and I don't want to be cold. Our estimates are that it will reach 35* which is too close for the claimed range for my taste. If the range is off, or our estimates are wrong (or worse, both) I will want the clothes to stay warm.

I will have to see if I can get access to a friend's sewing machine. If I can I might drop the atlas straps -- much as I like them -- for both Harbor Freight straps, though mine are blaze orange, not yellow; hopefully it is the same material.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think you have planned well and will have a great time. It is much easier making adjustments later, for future trips, using the experience you will gain from this trip.

It sounds like your biggest risk is the six mile portion without a water source. If you are confident with your solution then no worries. Go have fun. You can always take more water for this portion and leave those containers empty for the other stages.

Cheers

• + New Posts