Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm a hiker, but I car camper as well. I never liked carrying a tent backpacking, so I went through various stages: canvas pup tent, tube tent, nylon tent, one-man tents, bivy sacks, etc. I get the best sleep in a hammock. And when I go car camping I use my "mick". I also sleep out in my back yard with it. I've actually decided to sell my tent.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    this question usually all depends the crew. usually a few times a summer I get my city friends who want a 'true wilderness' excursion, which usually consists more of camping than hiking/paddling. For that reason, I tend to do my 'hammock hiking' solo, since there's no one else's limitations/expectations i need to plan for.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Lewis / Ignitor
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Give me a single track and a few hours to find just the right place. I like to consider myself a backpacker, but injuries and age start to limit how far one can travel. Slow and easy is now the norm and that allows me to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. I find hanging way more comfortable than tent / ground sleeping although it is taking me some "getting used to" time as far as body position during sleep.

Never thought I'd go for a group hang, but after visiting one I'm really considering coming out sometime. The hangers I've met have all been the best and frankly it looks to be a good time with like minded people.

So it looks like I'm likely to become both a backpacker and a camper.
    “I travel light, but not at the same speed.
”

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Give me a single track and a few hours to find just the right place. I like to consider myself a backpacker, but injuries and age start to limit how far one can travel. Slow and easy is now the norm and that allows me to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. I find hanging way more comfortable than tent / ground sleeping although it is taking me some "getting used to" time as far as body position during sleep.

Never thought I'd go for a group hang, but after visiting one I'm really considering coming out sometime. The hangers I've met have all been the best and frankly it looks to be a good time with like minded people.

So it looks like I'm likely to become both a backpacker and a camper.
    +1 on that. As we age our attitude changes..Good times can be found in the least likely places sometimes.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 40 degree
    Suspension
    HH w/ garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    My mindset, so far, on this is pretty simple. I go out to experience the wilderness. If that means hiking long distances to see as much of it as I can, great. If it means hiking slow and short distances, taking the time to soak every inch of it in, then sitting around camp enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells, great. If it means a short hike to a specific destination and then spending a couple days there (fishing), great.

I don't really care, as long as I'm in the woods. Whether I hike far and fast (for me) and end up with bloody feet and a bum knee, or I take a leisurely walk through the forest, it doesn't matter. I always return healed.
    Perfect, this describes me as well. Very well said

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I hike, because it's necessary to get to the wilderness. I absolutely avoid trails. I just shinny off into the woods....sometime half a mile, sometimes 10........ doesn't matter as long as I'm away from the things of man. If I wanna go farther, I do, If I wanna stop, I do. I just function normally in the wilderness.... not so much in "civilization"... Outside is my natural environment. A hammock and tarp let me go to the places I want to go. No way to get a tent into those areas even if you could find a flat spot ( and I hate tents anyway). Hammocking has opened up a whole level of comfort for me when I get out to the bottom-lands that was not there for me as a ground sleeper.
    That and as far as I know, cottonmouths don't like hammocks. Bit once. Once is enough.
    I am gonna try a group hang asap..... I'm not much of a socialite... but Y'all ain't just folks, you're hangers!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Shenandoah
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used to backpack a lot. I delved into hanging because of how lightweight it was and I was tired of always trying to find perfect ground spots for a small tent.

Now, I'm sick of trails and want to spend time exploring instead of walking where someone else has put a trail. The hammock still fits into this exploring, but I've found I spend the same amount of time looking for a good tree setup with decent ground underneath and not too much underbrush that I'm not sure if I'll stick with it.

Might keep the hammock for car camping, and go with a ground setup for hiking.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    When I hike solo or with my primary hiking buddy I tend to burn up the miles. With a different group of friends, it's more about camping.

Hi all . I have just ordered a hammock . I am a avid Tenkara fly fisherman . I am planning on doing many over night fishing trips . I am all so planing some longer through hikes with fishing being a part of it . I am sure that a hammock will open up many paths into the wild .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hammock hiking for me but I do car camp as well. Whatever gets me out of the house into the woods and hanging in my hammock.
    Is it hang time yet?

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast