Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrrka View Post
    ... I'm thinking about opening up one side partway to be able to insert a sleeping pad between the layers. Still looking for the best way to do that... like do you use a regular 20 in pad or get an extra wide one, or fasten some together somehow...and how do you keep them underneath you?
    Yeah, I don't know. Excellent questions. I've never used pads before, so I'm trying to figure this out too.

I have a question for you. You said, "...also attach my pads or sleeping bag between the layers..." Why would you put a sleeping bag between the layers?" Would that act like an UQ?
    I think it might. I'm thinking that there would be less compression on the sleeping bag than there would if I had it inside the hammock. I've seen other people comment that with a DL hammock, you could use a sleeping bag between layers as cheap insulation. But I've never seen anyone explain how to position it between the layers and keep it there. I'm doing this for my indoor hammock in my bedroom, btw, so I don't need to worry about super cold conditions yet.

Have fun with your DL! Be sure to post pics.:)
    Thanks! I just sewed my DL today and I'm trying it out tonight. Wish me luck! =:)

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Did you get all fancy-schmancy and put in space between the two layers for the sleeping bag? Curious as to how it works.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

No, I just sewed them right on top of each other. Hrm. Last night wasn't a success. I like the double layer hammock, but it didn't solve the problem of keeping me warm at all. I still woke up cold throughout the night. I think I'm going to have to convert an old sleeping bag into an underquilt. So frustrating.

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    yeah, I don't think a DL will keep you any warmer than a single layer. Haven't had time to try to stick a sleeping pad between the layers on mine. I wonder if one of those space blankets would work between the layers?

Yeah, the DL didn't keep me any warmer at all. Last night, I sewed my sleeping bag into a decent underquilt and I was very warm from below, finally. Now I'm trying to figure out how to stay warm from the top. I don't want to sleep in a sleeping bag inside my hammock. I guess that's basically what most people use, albeit an over quilt instead of a sleeping bag? I'd been just draping a big blanket on top of my hammock from above, but the problem with that is that it pushes down on the sides of my underquilt and creates cold spots/channels underneath me. I'm thinking of sewing a simple sleep sheet or sleeping bag liner and trying that. =:/

Hammock
    Lesovik Draka + many more
    Tarp
    Superfly + alot
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopiesling
    Images
    Looking good

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by vanRijn View Post
    Yeah, the DL didn't keep me any warmer at all. Last night, I sewed my sleeping bag into a decent underquilt and I was very warm from below, finally. Now I'm trying to figure out how to stay warm from the top. I don't want to sleep in a sleeping bag inside my hammock. I guess that's basically what most people use, albeit an over quilt instead of a sleeping bag? I'd been just draping a big blanket on top of my hammock from above, but the problem with that is that it pushes down on the sides of my underquilt and creates cold spots/channels underneath me. I'm thinking of sewing a simple sleep sheet or sleeping bag liner and trying that. =:/
    For my summerweight top quilt, I got some fleece, (2 yards) and sewed up one end into a box-like shape up to about my knees, It keeps everything neat and tucked into the hammock. For the spring and fall, I will be using a 3 season sleeping bag, which is why I want to play around with the pad between the layers trick. If I have to go to ground on a camping trip, I want to have a pad.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I only sewed the ends on our channel-end double layers, and even without stitching the sides match and stay so well it's hard to find the seperate edges (we used the same color for both layers). We put blankets in between the layers in cooler weather..ours are strictly indoor use, tho.
    Last edited by Duffy; 09-28-2013 at 07:50.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12