Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I used to trust my gear in campgrounds until folks like Neo got their rigs stolen. I am less trusting now. I will tear down and put it in the car if no one is staying at our campsite to keep an eye on things.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    don't know about Tennessee but here in Texas, every kid from the second grade on carries a MASTER KEY FOR TENTS, HAMMOCKS & CONVERTIBLE TOPS

it is called a POCKET KNIFE

leaving precious items, in plain sight, in an unattended camp is asking for trouble, though i have been doing it since i started camping in the early 50's

never had any issues(except w/ critters gettin into the larder) but that doesn't guarantee i wont

guess my stuff just aint that invitin...

just an old man's 2¢ worth

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Securing your campsite

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    don't know about Tennessee but here in Texas, every kid from the second grade on carries a master key
    it is called a POCKET KNIFE
    You wait till second grade???
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Shoot the first person that gets close to camp... Word will spread...
    I like your style!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    ... I do like the "shoot the first one and the word will spread" technique!!! I think I'll use it with my daughter's boyfriends......
    Toss him a shotgun shell while he's standing there in your doorway. Tell him to keep it in his pocket as a reminder that the next one will be coming his way MUCH faster, if he even thinks about putting his hands on your daughter.

Seriously though, I agree that most people on the trail aren't the ones to worry about. That's the beauty of getting out there and meeting like-minded folks.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I have had no problems in the backcountry. Tourist oriented campgrounds seem to attract undesirables, looking for opportunity. While staying at a Great Smoky Mountains campsite once, a fly fisherman had come out of the woods, stating "Someone had taken his backpack from the bank, while he was fishing". The backpack contained all of his high end camera equipment. So happened I remembered an old Chevy S-10 Blazer pulling up earlier and parking at the trailhead, with one male person. They went up the trail and it was not long before I noticed that the Blazer was gone. Not long after that the fisherman came out asking people, have they saw anyone suspicious. I do not know how this ended, but he was going to give my description of the Blazer and person to the Forest Ranger. If your equipment is unattended, it is subject to disappear. It does happen.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I've heard of others gear growing legs before but only near trailheads. I try not to leave my gear behind. I have done it before but I buried it in leaves and behind a large fallen tree 100' off trail, and someone still found it. Bumped into them coming back from my hike near my gear and they mentioned it.

My recommendation, dont leave stuff behind unless you dont mind loosing it.

I dont think anyone is casually going through your campsite but animals.

I think most people in the woods announce themselves approaching a camp site, and try to keep their distance if aren't looking for trouble...
    And if they are looking for trouble its actually easier to open your tent with a sharp knife then the zipper...

That said if I am out in the woods I am not going to be looking to abandon my supplies/equipment. It stays with me.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    I camp very light so it's not hard to break it down and take it with me. I do like the "shoot the first one and the word will spread" technique!!! I think I'll use it with my daughter's boyfriends......
    Okay, Richard Tipton, I can suggest a couple of ways to scare the boyfriends off. First get a dog for your daughter. Dogs can weed out the creepy guys, I learned very early in life to trust my dogs opinion of the fellows I dated. I had a guy try to come into our house when my parents were away, he opened a window and started to climb in, one leg came through the window, my little Pekingese latched onto his calf. He got his leg away from the dog and left. Cheap protection of your home and child.

Second, have a talk with the boyfriends, as them what their intentions are toward your daughter... That will get them thinking and warn them that you are a serious parent. I scared the heck out of several young men who wanted to date my daughters.

As for my gear going missing, I am very careful when I am out in the Back Woods, I do not trust other people out roaming around. Very dangerous for women. I prefer stealth camping, that is what I have done all my adult life. I pretty much keep my gear with me. I have been stolen from more than once. I like to keep my stuff near and not worry about it.

Here in Oregon as elsewhere there are a lot of people living on the land that are not honorable people. Our weather is comparatively mild, we have a huge homeless problem, a lot of the homeless are mentally ill or they are felions, you just have to be very careful. Leaving things around is just an invitation to having problems. Easier to keep everything with me. My gear that shows when I am transporting it is old and scuffed looking, that is a deterrent to theft.

Images
    I have just been very trusting but always leery, but very lucky perhaps. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I would also like to hear how many have actually had something stolen from the gear while the campsite was unattended.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    You wait till second grade???
    yes, the kindie-garden & 1st grade teachers were in fear for their lives & mom thought i shouldn't take it to school b4 then...

carried it until dad burned the blade(nearly in 2), cutting hot wires

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast