Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images

Lightbulb Field-crafted hammock seat 2.0

DSCN0567.jpg

With nothing extra to carry but a little cordage, and some time in camp, you can make this hammock seat using the hammock you already have with you. It should work with most gathered-end hammocks without nets, or ones with a net you can flip over to the underside.

Lash together three sticks found or cut in camp like this:

DSCN0570.jpg

Use one of your tree straps and set it up on a tree. Your suspension system will determine how to do this. I have straps and toggles so I put a marlin-spike hitch close to the tree like this:

DSCN0516.jpg

Then hang BOTH ends of your hammock from the KNOT (not the toggle! )

DSCN0517.jpg

Then take your other strap and attach one end on your stick bracket, run it THROUGH your hammock and attach the other end to your stick bracket like this:

DSCN0534.jpg

Stick the end of the bracket into the ground, spread the hammock material and carefully sit. Make sure the strap "seats" tight onto the bracket on both sides. Make sure the bracket is balanced under you. You may have to pick it up and move it left, right, closer or farther from the tree. You'll figure it out in no time. Once the seat is set up, you can enter and exit without any trouble. It'll stay set up the way you left it.

Mr. Pips enjoys a field-crafted hammock seat:

DSCN0526.jpg DSCN0546.jpg

And you'll have a very comfortable, one-tree seat for sitting, reclining, cooking, napping, etc.

I find the strap more comfortable under my legs and safer for the hammock than a stick as in a bush chair. I also think it's more comfortable than the one-stick hammock seat--with less shoulder squeeze.

Goofy "selfie":

DSCN0552.jpg
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Now that's an interesting idea!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    That is definitely worth trying, thanks for sharing!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    That's awesome, and of course you show us this AFTER I finally finish my hammock seat based off the last one you posted about (at least I think it was you).

Do you have any issues with sliding down in it? That's the problem I have with mine. If I put a pad in it it's not too bad but without one I go shooting down it like a slide.

Have you had any trouble with the bracket wanting to slip out from under you?
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Very nice Pips, thanks for sharing.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    That's mighty fine Pips!

I was fooling around the other day with more of an "H" or kind of a cross between your "V" and an "H"... But it was real fiddly.

Does this feel stable or does it want to swivel on that point? Seems a little like if Mr Pips got real relaxed, he might go over sideways... or maybe that's just me that would do that...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

I really like this. The wider the spread of the points at the ground the more stable. Also the triangular shape looks to keep it more stable as well. Can you give an approximate length for the sticks? It looks to be about 2' for the two uprights and 18" for the cross piece. Is that about right?

I like how there is nothing coming up between the legs in the front. Two could set up facing each other between two trees.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    That's awesome, and of course you show us this AFTER I finally finish my hammock seat based off the last one you posted about (at least I think it was you).

Do you have any issues with sliding down in it? That's the problem I have with mine. If I put a pad in it it's not too bad but without one I go shooting down it like a slide.

Have you had any trouble with the bracket wanting to slip out from under you?
    Thanks, SwinginIt! Sounds like maybe you need some more sag in your hammock seat. I don't have any trouble with sliding. Sits in there real good. Try hanging it lower down the tree. Let us know what changes you can make. And thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    That's mighty fine Pips!

I was fooling around the other day with more of an "H" or kind of a cross between your "V" and an "H"... But it was real fiddly.

Does this feel stable or does it want to swivel on that point? Seems a little like if Mr Pips got real relaxed, he might go over sideways... or maybe that's just me that would do that...
    Thanks, HF! An "H" is an interesting idea. The "V" feels very stable. I don't know why, but I haven't noticed it swiveling. Even when you stand up, it stays put.

I suppose, inherently, an "H" would be more stable (two feet instead of one) Did you use a strap to hold the seat or a stick? I might try an "H" bracket with the strap across the top. Using a strap instead of a stick really ups the comfort factor and may add stability (your butt kinda hangs! and the strap lets you move without rocking the bracket.)

Thanks for looking and post pictures of your "H" bracket if you set it up again.
    "Pips"

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    I really like this. The wider the spread of the points at the ground the more stable. Also the triangular shape looks to keep it more stable as well. Can you give an approximate length for the sticks? It looks to be about 2' for the two uprights and 18" for the cross piece. Is that about right?

I like how there is nothing coming up between the legs in the front. Two could set up facing each other between two trees.
    Close: The two side sticks are 29 and 29 and 1/2 inches. I think it's most important to have the cross brace down low so you don't feel it under your bottom. It can stick out the side, no problem.

I like your idea of sitting face to face. That would be great for playing cards or looking at maps.

And you're right. I think the two points crossing near the bottom and then going into the ground at different points add stability (like Hppyfngy's modified "H") I hadn't noticed that before!

Thanks for looking! Hope you make one!
    "Pips"

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Thanks, HF! An "H" is an interesting idea. The "V" feels very stable. I don't know why, but I haven't noticed it swiveling. Even when you stand up, it stays put.

Thanks for looking and post pictures of your "H" bracket if you set it up again.
    Yeahhh.... pictures.... It didn't work! It just wanted to collapse left or right. I don't even want to show you how far astray I got trying goofy cross braces and stuff... Often simpler is much better!

I am leaning more toward an "X" . In fact your "V" crosses at the bottom and is a sort of "X" which is why it's so stable! It's just the bottom of the X is short compared to the upper V part...

No, I think yours is great! I'm going to try yours. I might first try it crossing a little further up to be more of an X. But I love the simplicity of yours. (And pointing the bottoms of the legs surely helps it bite in to the ground. )

Nice!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast