Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
One problem - it still isn't hard measured data - again it is simply anecdotal evidence - somebody's experience. We have that - for and against.
I'm all for laboratory testing, but unfortunately most of use don't have access to the types of equipment and facilities necessary. That's actually a common problem for me - I'm in a Physics department at a liberal-arts-oriented school. We don't have a graduate program, either. Hence, no money and no nice lab facilities. So - also partly due to my own innate tendencies - I'm primarily a theorist. The theory/experiment divide is what I'm seeing between our opinions.

I have theory on my side of the space blanket discussion. Check any intro physics or undergrad Thermal text. Radiative heat transfer is minimal at human-environment temps, especially compared with convection. Fortunately, I also have experiment on my side - as I'm sure you know, physical theory isn't considered "reasonable fact" until it's borne out by experiment.

I'm glad you make the distinction here between laboratory testing and personal experimentation. Until someone takes enough of an interest to devote some serious, controlled, objective lab time to testing a variety of insulations and conditions, there won't be what I consider hard evidence. Until then, we have to rely on the opinions and experiences of others. And when it REALLY comes down to it, we can't rely on anyone's experiences but our own.

I'll be sure to post my OPINIONS on the SS as soon as I get some testing time in.