Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Byer of Maine Traveler Double Hammock XXL

Byer of Maine was generous enough to send me one of their latest offerings to the hammock community - “The Traveller Double Hammock XXL.” Prior to my receipt of this hammock, my only other experience with a nylon hammock of this type was with an ENO DoubleNest, upon which I’ll base my comparison.

First, there are several similarities. Like the DoubleNest, the Traveller Double Hammock XXL (or henceforth, “the XXL”) comes with it’s own integrated stuff sack sewn into the edge of the hammock. For my purposes, I prefer a double-sided stuff sack or a bishop bag but the integrated sack does prove useful for storage of smaller items such as a flashlight, wallet, keys, or other items you may keep in your pocket during the day but would prefer to not have poking you all night. It packs down within the integrated stuff sack to a size somewhere between a large grapefruit or a small cantaloupe, but I suspect that if you were to use a smaller stuff sack you could get it down to about the size of a softball. This is only a suspicion, however - I’ve not actually tried this.

Out of the bag, the included suspension left me wanting. Being used to custom suspensions (such as whoopie slings or cinch buckles), I found the simple approximately 5’ length of rope threaded through the end channels with a loop tied into one end and an S-type hook on the other hand a bit disappointing. Granted, you can’t expect mass-produced hammocks such as this one to come with a custom-style suspension, but a guy can dream, eh? When comparing this to the considerably shorter ENO type suspension that consists of a shorter length of rope with a wire gate carabiner included for each end, I’m sorry to say that ENO takes the win in this category.

Where the XXL really shines is in it’s overall size. Boasting a 90” width (which is the same as my go-to hammock, a 90” wide tablecloth hammock) and a length of 125”. For those unwilling to do the math for themselves, that’s 7.5’ wide by 10.41’ long. This is compared to a DoubleNest, which finds itself wanting with only 6’2” width and a 9’4” length. These specs are especially important to somebody such as myself, who comes in at 6’4”. Believe me when I say that in hammock lengths and widths at my height, inches matter. An extra foot to play with in length AND width give the XXL an easy edge over the DoubleNest. This alone would make the XXL worth the purchase price over the competitor.

On the topic of purchase price, the MSRP on the XXL is $55 (well, $54.95 but we’re not dumb...they mean $55). Comparatively, the DoubleNest when purchased through the ENO website comes in at $70 (again they try to trick us by it actually being a nickel less, but momma didn’t raise no fool).

Even if the two were similarly priced (which they may be if you go to a retailer such as REI for your DoubleNest, or so I’ve heard) I would still opt for the XXL due to it’s overall size when compared to the DoubleNest.

Regarding weight capacity, I’ll admit right out that I’m a big guy. I weigh in at 380 pounds, so having me in a hammock is nothing short of a stress test. The DoubleNest is rated to 400 pounds, while the XXL is rated to 375, though I was equally comfortable in both when it came to whether or not I felt like I was going to fall through. No worries here. The XXL weighs 4oz more than the DoubleNest at 24oz, but that’s to be expected with an additional foot in either direction. This can probably be shaved off at least a little bit by removing the aforementioned integrated stuff sack.

I set this up last weekend at the Palmetto State Hangers Fall Sprawl on a TurtleDog stand and found that most everybody (nay - everybody) who experienced the hammock (including myself) found it to be comfortable and extremely roomy. The only complaint (if you can call it that) was that the Amazonas (the German company that presumably manufactures these) tag was stitched into the seam at the bottom. It was comfortable enough to sleep in, as I woke up one morning and found my cousin sound asleep in it.

More details as I think of them and a video of the hammock itself to come.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Thank you Gresh for the fine gear review. You gave it a lot of thought and put it together well. I look forward to reading more as you produce them.

Happy Trails to you Gresh!
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Quality of video isn't what I generally produce, but I'm getting used to a new camera and new conversion software. Apologies. :\

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    I have also reviewed this hammock in the past and found it to be great. Did you find that the material seemed to be softer on the skin?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Not especially, but I attribute that to being fresh out of the bag as it were. With use, I suspect it would get softer over time. Alternatively, you could probably wash it.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    I meant it in a good way. I really find mine to be slightly more comfortable than others.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    The fabric on my ENO seems to be more comfortable to the touch, but I decided that it's attributable to the fact that I used my ENO a lot more earlier - kinda like wearing in a pair of jeans.

I find the XXL to be more comfortable overall because of it's ginormous size.

• + New Posts