Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

Hammockers are Evolving

When I first joined almost 2 years ago, there would be threads where people would brag about staying dry under a tarp the size of a postage stamp. I would see pics of their rigs and think "how can they stay dry when the hammock foot/head end is 2 inches from the tarp edge?"

Now the hot topic is how much vestibule do I get under the grizz beak or how many doors do I need?

We have come a long way in just a few years and I'm glad.....I like staying dry and warm....the vendors on here have made enjoying the woods much easier for people like me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    One of my favorite Nessmuk quotes: We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed – with the necessity always present on being on time and up to our work; of providing for the dependent ones; of keeping up, catching up, or getting left. Alas for the life-long battle, whose bravest slogan is bread.”

I think some folks are figuring out that crouching under the postage stamp while dry isn't very comfortable. I'd rather suffer on the trail a bit more and be comfortable in camp. Getting a good night's sleep makes all the difference.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Plenty of folks still advocate the postage stamp approach, but I'm all into my HG Winter Palace with doors!

Hammock
    WB BB DL XL
    Tarp
    SilNylon (rectngl)
    Insulation
    BA Insulatd Inflat
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I think that this thought is in the same vein....

One of the attractions to hammocking seems to be that it is not mainstream (yet). We have seen very few hammock ads in Backpacker Magazine (so far). Hammock products are available only from "cottage" vendors and they are not mass produced overseas (for the most part). These vendors provide personal service, have personalities and actually use the products that they produce.

I think that all of this is attractive to us on HF. It also helps that the activity is interesting, addictive and is practical (better sleep, better health, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    One of my favorite Nessmuk quotes: We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed – with the necessity always present on being on time and up to our work; of providing for the dependent ones; of keeping up, catching up, or getting left. Alas for the life-long battle, whose bravest slogan is bread.”

I think some folks are figuring out that crouching under the postage stamp while dry isn't very comfortable. I'd rather suffer on the trail a bit more and be comfortable in camp. Getting a good night's sleep makes all the difference.
    What a terrific quote and I agree completely. Even just a night in the hammock by the stream on my own land can work wonders for smoothing away the rough left from a week at work.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I use one of them big tarps with doors. I also want a smaller tarp for fair/mild weather, but not postage stamp. What I like is that even though my tarp is 11X10, it still packs very small and light. Not UL but, enough for me.

Also, a lot of tarps and camping are used in snow/wind/blizzard like conditions. A barely there tarp is not the best idea for those conditions.

I love being outdoors in the wild, but, why survive when I can thrive.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Being that I can carry just about any tarp I want since Im on a motorcycle, I carry as big as I feel that I need, which happens to be a 12fter with doors and a center pole.

I always advocate carrying as big of a tarp as you can comfortably (and can afford) unless you are either ok with the chance of encountering issues with weather or know its not going to be an issue.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    Hammock products are available only from "cottage" vendors and they are not mass produced overseas (for the most part).
    If a person got all their hammock info from this website, he might think that.

Even here at HF, people often talk about offshore-produced hammocks.

Take a look around at the hammocks being sold in large numbers......

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I definitely enjoy it because of its obscurity, however I do appreciate that they have Eno hammocks are REI so that I can introduce friends that may not want to dive as deep as I have.... just saying.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    WB Traveler w/ DIY Bug net
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    WB Straps, Dclips
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    One of the attractions to hammocking seems to be that it is not mainstream (yet).
    I doubt there are enough people willing to go through the learning curve it takes to get the most out of hammock camping for it to ever go " mainstream".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast