Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Hanger View Post
    If you hike long enough and hard enough and drag your butt into camp...your be so tired you will fall a sleep anywhere
    My sentiments exactly. My hammock is a hiking system, not a camping one, so I guess I can't really relate. I do know that on the ground, I had a mandatory 30+ minute stretch period every morning to work out sore spots, kinks, and cramps...now I get right up, eat, and go.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    I have not had a good night's sleep since I made my Speer style hammock about a year ago. I'm not sure why. I guess I'm not a back sleeper, and I haven't been able to get comfortable on my side. Most nights I just sit there. I try to sleep but hour after hour after hour goes by and maybe I'll get 3 hours of sleep our of 8. Most of the time I lie there in my hammock fully awake. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

I'm thinking of making like an 11 foot long hammock to see if that helps.
    Is this in the backyard or on a trip to the wilds? For some bizarre reason, so far whenever I have tried sleeping in the backyard I have actually been unable to sleep. I don't know what the deal is. Intermittent neighborhood noises such as dogs barking or cars driving by may contribute to the problem. On the other hand, my very first use of my H.hammock was on a September backpacking trip in the high mountains of Wyoming. Though I definitely had various problems learning in the tricks of setting up the hammock correctly, especially the super shelter, one thing I could not complain about was quality of sleep. Other than a lot of difficulty staying warm the first night, every long day of hiking was followed by the most profound and deep sleep that I have ever had in the wilderness.

But not so, for some reason, when it comes to backyard testing. In the back yard, it's very hard for me to sleep. If you had a stand, it might be interesting to try the hammock indoors. That way if you did sleep soundly, you know the problem was something unrelated to the comfort of the hammock.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-29-2007 at 08:02.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm a little weary of sleeping in the back yard because i don't have a fence that completely surrounds the yard.
    i have little concern about wild life in the woods, but in rural areas i can't help but think about the occasional stray dog or the possums & coons.
    but it still doesn't take long to fall asleep usually.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i'm a little weary of sleeping in the back yard because i don't have a fence that completely surrounds the yard.
    i have little concern about wild life in the woods, but in rural areas i can't help but think about the occasional stray dog or the possums & coons.
    but it still doesn't take long to fall asleep usually.
    Wait...you'll hang in a wilderness area with bears, coons, possums, snakes, and who knows what else, but you won't hang in your yard? Want to borrow one of my dogs? Or how about I send you a teddy bear? (j/k)
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Wait...you'll hang in a wilderness area with bears, coons, possums, snakes, and who knows what else, but you won't hang in your yard? Want to borrow one of my dogs? Or how about I send you a teddy bear? (j/k)
    yep... i'd rather deal w/ the wild critters than wake up to some stray dog checking me out
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    yep... i'd rather deal w/ the wild critters than wake up to some stray dog checking me out
    See, I'd think a wild critter would be WAY more likely to mistake you for a snack or a potential mate than a more domesticated one....

Images
    See, I'd think a wild critter would be WAY more likely to mistake you for a snack or a potential mate than a more domesticated one....
    Potential mate? Well, now I think I'll give up wilderness travel! It was bad enough when I only worried about becoming dinner. Now Ol Griz might want to mate BEFORE dinner? I at least hope the critters understand the need for safe sex!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Potential mate? Well, now I think I'll give up wilderness travel! It was bad enough when I only worried about becoming dinner. Now Ol Griz might want to mate BEFORE dinner? I at least hope the critters understand the need for safe sex!
    ROFL!!!! The mental picture of a bear trying to open a Trojan....

And the worst part is that Griz might kick you out of your hammock so he can take a nap after he's done!

Images
    ROFL!!!! The mental picture of a bear trying to open a Trojan....

And the worst part is that Griz might kick you out of your hammock so he can take a nap after he's done!
    I can hear it now.

Hanger, "Can I have my hammock back"

Bear, "What you are still here"
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images

won't be able to ask

Well, if he eats you after mating, you won't be able to pester him asking for your hammock back!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast