Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps

Cuben Tarp Question

So I have a new to me Cuben tarp from HG. I want to know if this is made out of helium because it may weigh less than nothing.

My question is about the D ring in the middle of the tarp. Does this go on the inside or the outside? Does it matter? If I use a continuous Ridgeline is it intended for the Ridgeline to be above the tarp so as to not create friction on the Cuben fabric? It appears based on the placement of the HG logo that the D ring goes on the outside.

Your expertise is appreciated.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I can't answer your question about the D ring.

Regarding the being concerned about friction between the tarp and ridge line. I would not worry about it.

Cuben is a lot tougher that it looks. Remember those thunder storms last August. How could you not, we never get storms like that?
    Anyway i was on a Washington Trail Association BCRT and had the displeasure of riding out two thunder storms. The first night my MSR mini ground hogs were no match for the wind. I ended up wrapping the tarp around me and sitting on it for what seemed all night.

The next morning we listened to the weather report over the Forest Service Radio. The forecast for a repeat of the previous night. I prepared for it by replacing the Mini Ground Hogs with three shovels two Pick-Mattoks, and Pulaski. In the middle of the next storm cell i had to reset one of the Pick-Mattocks cause it pulled out of the ground during a strong gust of wind.

Yea i'm impressed how tough Cuben is.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    The D-ring is meant to go on the outside so that you can pull the tarp out some to create more living space underneath. But it can go either way, if you flipped it inside and were in porch mode you could hang a mini keychain light from it and have a porch light.

I'd put the RL above the tarp. Cuben is some tough stuff, and I'm no expert here so I could be wrong, but I think the friction could over time wear out the lamination of the cuben. Better safe than sorry, after all cuben is pretty dang expensive.

I have a cuben backpack that doesn't have very many miles on it but I have already worn a hole into the bottom of the water bottle pocket from it dragging on the ground when I set it down. And it's make out of 1.43 cuben not the .54 cuben our tarps are made from. So it may be tough but it's not bombproof.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    D ring can also be used on the outside to clip the doors open as its primary usage. If you want to put a CRL thru D ring,,works fine for that as well.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Cool, thanks!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

D ring on outside. As far as CRL, go over the tarp as there has been a lot of talk here about dripping off CRL if it's under the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images

Cuben Tarp Question

Mine has no D-ring or logo

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you have a cat cut ridgeline then ridgeline over the tarp is great - you get a really taut pitch.

I used to have a straight cut ridgeline cuben tarp and had to put the ridgeline under the tarp to get a taut pitch.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Ridgeline currently above tarp, through both end and center rings. Seems pretty taught. Been stormy as heck all day. Everything is still dry.

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Ridgeline currently above tarp, through both end and center rings. Seems pretty taught. Been stormy as heck all day. Everything is still dry.
    Question - Was this purchased through Hammockgear or off the forum? The reason I'm asking is it seems your talking about a D ring in the middle of the ridge line and not the tarp pull outs that I think others were referring to.

A D ring in the middle of the ridgeline is a common request. I have them on both of my cuben tarps but I don't run the ridgeline through it, I use it to fold the doors back when not in use. Each of my doors has shock cord and mitten clips with a cord lock. When not in use I clip the mitten clip to the center D ring I had installed at the ridgeline.

Hope this helps.
    --
    John

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast