Correct Hang Point?

I just recently ordered the Black Polyester Tablecloth 90"x156" and plan on using the channel method on the ends for the hanging. I am using this inside and plan to install eye hooks into the wall studs to hang from - the room I am hanging in is has a ceiling height of about 10' and the width of the room is 15'-7".

I am trying to use the "hammock hanging calculator" but I am unaware of what my ridgeline will actually be. I understand that the hang angle for the type of hammock I am using will be 45 degrees? Also after sewing in the channels I am going to assume a length of the hammock at about 150" (12.5'). My weight will be approximately 215 lbs. I tried plotting on AutoCAD using an arc length of 150" with 45 degree angles and get the ridgeline at approximately 118"(which is a big assumption). All of this input into the hammock hang calculator gives me a hang point of 111" (9.25') - am I doing this correctly???? At this height should I just plan to hang from ceiling joists instead and adjust the width accordingly? Attached is a screen shot of the hammock hang calculator.

Please help! Would like to only install eye hooks in walls once - do not have the available trees to practice outside before hand as I have seen noted on this forum by others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't know where you got the 45* hang angle from, but the normal starting point is 30* and I suggest you start with that. Ridgeline length usually starts at 83% of the hammock length and this gives you ~30*.

Before you start making holes in the walls or ceiling, I suggest you actually get the hammock, take it outside and try it at various angles to find what is most comfortable for you.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...08&postcount=3

To get even more comfortable and put less strain on the attachment points I recently switched to a Brazilian hammock for indoors. Because they are hung at about a 45 degree angle the suspension strain is lower than with the typical 30 degree camping hammock. Also their steep hang angle and long length lets you mount them to the ceiling joists at a spread of 15' or less. This puts my mind more at ease than using the 2x4 studs in the wall. I use pad eyes for the anchor points and screw them in with SPAX screws (#14x2-1/2")

Hammocks
    fringed: http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...withfringe.cfm
    non-fringed: http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...richammock.cfm

Hardware
    Pad eyes. Item No. S3705-0008. $5.83 each.
    http://www.bosunsupplies.com/product...roduct=S370-OP

DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet
    Last edited by Knotty; 09-28-2010 at 12:27..
    Knotty is offline Report Post

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Try out the tablecloth hammock you are getting instead of installing hooks per instructions for a brazilian hammock. You might find 45* works, but you might also find 30* works better.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Using 124.5"as the RL and 30 degrees as the angle and 15' as the distance, I got 70 inches as the height of the attachment points.

30 degrees is a starting point. A larger angle means more sag which is a personal thing. Some like more and some like less sag. Certainly I have always found more sag to be more comfortable. As mentioned, try to test it out to get the sag you want before installing it in your home. An adjustable structural ridgeline would help you find your comfort zone.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    singletons11 - Here's how my 156" tablecloth hammock is hung.

The ends are whipped with rope. The ridgeline is 132" and has very little tension on it when I'm in the hammock. My ceiling is 8' and I'm using the full diagonal length of the room, putting my ceiling joist attachment points 244" apart. I found this spread to be more comfortable than the 188" separation I use with my Brazilian (though the 188" will work). End result is a 38º hang angle and my ridgeline is 52" up from the floor.

The grid on the image is 1' with 3" minor increments. For your 15'7" room the wall attachment points would be around 6' above the floor, reading off the grid.

Here's a pic of the hammock before I added the ridgeline and permanent underquilt. I believe the closer hang points are being used in the pic.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Hello. Anyone home?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Knotty, thanks for the diagram.
    I'm making a hammock for a friend who will be using it indoors. It is a tablecloth hammock but is the shorter 10 ft length, however, I think the principle is the same as yours. I intend to show him this drawing to help him get his hammock set up.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Old post, but my experience.

Can’t help on ridgeline but I have a Mexican hammock hung at 45 degrees, under a Pergola, simple because it takes less strain off everything involved.

Hanging points are about 7 foot off the ground.

Works fine, my guess the 30 degrees is a good in the woods “one size fits all”, as it reduces the stress down to acceptable levels where smaller diameter trees can be used, and the average person can reach up, which is about 5.62 feet or so, if I hung the hammock at 30 degrees. My wife can’t reach 7 foot. I certainly would not go below 30 degrees. I weigh 230 lbs.

I believe you get more headroom at 45 degrees if I remember those hammock calculators right.

You certainly see South American hammocks hung high at ceiling level, steep angles in places where they are used for permanent sleeping, can be removed during the day.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If it works for you, it works.

What you probably already know, however, is that current hammock designs use the 83% guideline — and some use 86%, while some folks tweak to taste — for hammock structural ridgeline (SRL) length that results in a 30° sag for the hammock body. So a suspension angle of greater than 30° is going to create more sag as the SRL goes slack.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts