Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

First DIY digicam hammock

I own a WBBB XLC DL 1.1 that I've taken on one 5 day trip that worked perfectly. I've recently inherited a thread injector from my grandmother and got a bit of the DIY bug that started with a pink tablecloth hammock for my wife - and two rows of stitches in that project. High on success, and bobbin threaded with poly thread, I decided to take a crack at a made from scratch SL digicam hammock for myself as a lighter alternative when in the bug free mountains. Here is the nearly finished product. I just need to add my adjustible ridgeline and sew my digicam tree straps.

Thanks go to Xtrekker (whipping method), Lost Biker (digicam inspiration), TheBrewGuy and Opie (whoopie slings, continuous loop, and splicing), and all the others I've garnered inspiration from in this GREAT community!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Excellent work! Isn't camo grand? Since this material is uncoated, if you throw the hammock in a pillow case and wash it, it will be really soft, supple and even more comfy.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Looks great and apparently comfy too, she's smiling! Perhaps she's trading up from the pink tablecloth?
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/ DIY SL Digicam 1.8
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Excellent work! Isn't camo grand? Since this material is uncoated, if you throw the hammock in a pillow case and wash it, it will be really soft, supple and even more comfy.
    I'm going to have to do this for sure - thanks for that tip. That was my one quick observation thus far - crinkle taffeta is more comfortable than new ripstop. Am I fine in leaving my amsteel attachments on the hammock (continuous loop, and now a ridgeline just completed), inside the pillow case or should those be removed? Have any detergent and water settings?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Looks great and apparently comfy too, she's smiling! Perhaps she's trading up from the pink tablecloth?
    She loves her pink tablecloth, so until I find digicam in pink, this one is safe for me! She's more car camper than backpacker so the extra weight isn't a penalty. Those tablecloths are surprisingly comfortable. I highly recommend them for those wanting a home or car camping hammock. Got 6 more 'blanks' in a box for gifts to others and a backyard hammock.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Six people are going to be very pleased at gift unwrapping time!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
    I'm going to have to do this for sure - thanks for that tip. That was my one quick observation thus far - crinkle taffeta is more comfortable than new ripstop. Am I fine in leaving my amsteel attachments on the hammock (continuous loop, and now a ridgeline just completed), inside the pillow case or should those be removed? Have any detergent and water settings?
    Yes, remove the suspension - leave the ridge line on, put in an old pillow case and wash it in cold water, permanent press or gentle cycle with a dash of detergent. DON'T put in dryer! Just hang it out side or inside and let dry - doesn't take long.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks Lost_biker - much softer after the wash! I'm nearly "done" with this kit. Just need to figure out my interface with my whoopie slings and continuous loop. I was larksheading them together, but that makes for a PITA to remove when wanting to put it on the home stand. (Whoopies too long). Thinking of either a metal ring or possibly a chain connector - think a soft shackle will add too much length. Might do the stretch side mod as well, but that's after some extended field trials first.

Beyond that, I have two digicam poncho liners headed my way for matching PLUQ/TQ experimentation. I also need to make a Fronkey bugnet to round out the entire setup. This DIY thing is fun stuff!

I did accomplish my first task, which was to reduce bulk and weight from my WBBB XLC setup. Not completely apples to apples without the bugnet included, but does have the suspension, straps, and stuff sack wrapped up inside. Don't have a scale here, but noticeably lighter and much less bulky.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Your welcome. Instead of removing the whoopies or changing out the longer suspension for a shorter one for a stand, I just use a short pre-measured piece of strap and larkshead it over the whoopies. That way, I simply remove the strap when I have to go to the woods. A lot of times I just leave the strap on and have a dual suspension.

Your well on your way to being a gear maker!

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Great job, I do love the camo!! Need to order me some digicam camo
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron