Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    So slow getting caught up....I'd like to try this, love the design you have; but not sure if it'll work for me. My ridgeline on my hammock is approximately 110" (11' hammock). I'll have to sit back and mentally digest this some more. One more question: is your Ridgline pole 2 pieces? The next time you have it out, I'd love a picture up the updates since I'm more visual, it'll help me a lot.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    If my memory serves me correctly my ridge line runs around 10 1/2-11'. With the soft shackle change it gets me more elevation as I mentioned earlier. Another option if you can find it is to find two 20' lengths of conduit and cut them into thirds making the stands taller. I kind of prefer the compactness for portability. 20' lengths can likely be found at an industrial electrical supply house. It might take some looking around but might be worth the effort. The mods are pretty straight forward. I'm confident with the build the only thing that might be an issue for some would be the height.

I am hopping to get out again with the stand soon, when I do I will shoot some pics. My schedule has been keeping me from getting out for a while. I am hopping it will let up soon I'm getting a little stir crazy for some fresh air and down time.

Yes the ridge pole is in two sections with a insert to keep it in control. It started at 12 feet and became shorter with my change in suspension. I thought I had a pic of it on my profile I will check. If not I will get one added as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    So slow getting caught up....I'd like to try this, love the design you have; but not sure if it'll work for me. My ridgeline on my hammock is approximately 110" (11' hammock). I'll have to sit back and mentally digest this some more. One more question: is your Ridgline pole 2 pieces? The next time you have it out, I'd love a picture up the updates since I'm more visual, it'll help me a lot.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

I am very excited about your stand. Great write up.
    Hope you are able to get pics up soon of the stand and new suspension. What did you use for the 24" insert on your ridge pole?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    I have had numerous questions about my ridgepole and suspension modifications. I will attempt to address my ridge pole here for everyone. I will work on some suspension stuff in a few days hopefully.

I have mentioned earlier in this thread that I did not have the specs handy and that I would be posting pics soon. This is that post. If any information in this post contradicts previous posts please use this one as the accurate version. I have received several messages requesting more information. I will also attempt to address them here as well.

My ridge pole is in two main sections with an insert to keep it in control. It is becoming shorter with my change in suspension. I am happy with the ridgepole mod I have created for now. For the lay person pipes is measured two ways, inner dimensions (ID) and outer dimensions (OD) if you measure the inside of your pipe you will get the ID, outside measurement the OD.

My ridgepole main sections are two pieces of 1” standard conduit (the one inch in this case is in reference to ID). The final length is yet to be determined as I am still messing around with my suspension which is effecting the length.

The third piece is the 12” long inner sleeve with a set screw in the center (6” point) to prevent it slipping into the two ridge pole half's and locking it securely in place, no arching or sagging. I used 1” OD steel pipe with 1/8th inch thick walls. It is heavy. I am convinced it is over kill. When weighted it is solid.

My set screw is a self tapping sheet metal screw. A small box will run a couple of dollars. You will still need a pilot hole to get it started in most cases. I used a nail and a hammer to create a small dent to help guide the drill bit as I get the hole started and an assistant to help keep things steady as I drilled. A vice will work great but I employed one of my Webhanger monkeys for the task. The size of hole you need to drill is dependent upon the screw you purchase and should be slightly smaller than the threads. Once this is accomplished the self tapping metal screw should drill in without too much problem.

This screw prevents the inner sleeve from sliding too far in either direction which could cause a failure, "setting" it firmly in place. I notched my ridgepole sections for the screw head using a round metal file. This leaves a small hole for the screw head to sit in and allows the two main sections to remain in contact over the entire sleeve except where the screw sits, evening out the pressures involved. See picture. The inner sleeve slides in and out easily without a lot of room to wiggle once in place. I took my ridge pole to the hardware store and found a steel pipe to fit nicely. That takes the guesswork out of it if you are at all unsure.

Ridgepole.jpg
    Ridgepole whole.jpg
    Last edited by webhanger; 04-20-2015 at 00:24. Reason: add another pic
    Mind over matter,

Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by webhanger View Post
    What I have changed is I have eliminated the suspension/slings to the hammock completely. They have been replaced with another soft shackle which ends in a larks head on both ends, one to the hammock itself the other to the ridgepole. On the ridgepole I put the soft shackle to the stand centered in the middle of the larks head of the soft shackle going to the hammock.
    This is a correction to the above post. I have mentioned earlier in this thread that I did not have the specs handy. If any information in this post contradicts previous posts please use this one as the accurate version. this is still in the testing stages. I hope to give a more definitive reply soon.

I have changed the way I attach between the ridgepole and the hammock. I have not photographed it yet but I am confident from the last few tests that it is a success and did a very poor job of describing it earlier. If any one followed those earlier instructions you probably noticed the suspension slips towards the center of the hammock causing frustration and bouts of ill advised language directed potentially at the author. If this describes you I offer my apologies . Here is the current version I am testing.

I use a soft shackle to connect the ridgepole to the stand as I always have. What I should have stated is that I changed to a short line with two Brummels forming an eye on each end which replaces the regular suspension completely (I still leave my suspension attached to the hammock just neatly tied up out of the way). On the ridgepole I put one eye of the line with the Brummels through the center of the larks head in the soft shackle to the stand and feed the tail through the eye attaching it to the pole.

This next piece is the part I am still messing with. I then wrap several times toward the outside of the stand and then bring it back towards the center and attach to the hammock. So far several wraps have worked well but ends up appearing messy. I am going to be trying a clove hitch and a couple of other things in the near future to see if I can make form and function combine.

At the hammock I feed through the remaining eye, a portion of the center of the line itself, making an expandable loop similar to a larks head. I feed the end of the hammock suspension and all into the loop and dress the knot. I hope to get some pictures soon.

My goals with these modifications are; to ensures direct weight transfer, shorten the ridgepole and elevate the hammock, making it more user friendly as the stand is less than 5 feet tall. With regular suspension it puts you pretty close to the ground. This arrangement gets me pretty close to the height I regularly hang at. It is shorter and easier to pack around because the ridge pole is 6-12 inches longer than the ridge line on my hammock and in two longer pieces plus the inner sleeve.

Ideally I would like this to fit in the trunk of an average sedan. I'm not quite there but have a few ideas up my sleeve still when I get time to work on them some more.
    Mind over matter,

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12