Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images

Lightbulb BananaWebTurtleSchwenkDanglerDog stand

For now I am calling this the BananaWebTurtleSchwenkDanglerDog stand (BWTSDD for the typing impaired, try saying it with a German accent). I worry that might be leaving somebody out.

So here goes I'm throwing this out there for all of you to see knowing all the warts are about to be pointed out.

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...e_dump_027.jpg

Here is the recipe I cooked up. I had many of the parts at home already.

Ingredients:

½” conduit 10' long x3@ $2.25ea (up-sized version uses ¾ inch conduit)
    3/8” -16 nuts x6 @ $.20 ea (the up-sized version uses 1/2” hardware, nuts, eye bolts, and shackles)
    3/8”x5” eye bolt x6 @ $1.39ea
    3/8”anchor shackle x2 @ $6.29ea
    Locking carabiner 3/8” x2 @ $3.23ea
    7” continuous loop x2 @ $7.00ea
    5/8” rubber leg tips or feet x6@ $1.85 (4 pk)x2
    Para cord 20' @ $2.97 (50 ft 100 lb load)
    1” conduit 10' long x1 @ $6.77

Cost: Total estimate $65 approx. (I made it out of the store under $20).

Tools:

Pipe cutter $12
    Hammer $15
    Drill $50 (Some would say optional, I wanted an all terrain hang however)
    3/16” Bit $5
    (all tools were already owned, tool estimates were pulled out of the thin air)

Time: Who knows! I snuck it into the middle of all the honey-do's while Mrs. Webhanger thought I was dutifully occupied. This was easily accomplished in one afternoon plus all the honey-do list was completed to cover my tracks. Maybe a couple of hours. Way less time than it took to write this however.

Method:

1. Take ½” conduit cut to 5' lengths to create the 6 legs. (This is the econo' Low-rider version)
    2. Screw the second nut onto each of the eye bolts. The eye bolts came with one on it. The two nuts should be separated by a couple of inches. This should keep the eye bolts from shifting in the conduit once they are tapped into place. Leave an inch or so of play in one direction so that the eyelet can be adjusted a little.
    3. Using the manufactured ends of my now 5' pieces of conduit and the hammer, gently tap the eye bolt with nuts into the conduit. I lined up the edges of the nuts so that they created only one set of grooves in the inside of the conduit. But I doubt it would matter. Tap until the top nut is flush with the top of the conduit. Repeat until all 6 legs have the eye bolts on top.
    4. Remove two of the eye bolts by unscrewing them from the nuts that are now embedded in the conduit. These will become your center or back legs.
    5. These center or back two pieces get holes drilled 3/16” or smaller (big enough to get your para cord through) completely through both sides of the conduit one to two inches up from the freshly cut end which is now the bottom. Now set them to the side. We will come back to them in a few minutes.
    6. The remaining four legs get a hole drilled the same height as the other legs one to two inches up from the bottom which only penetrates one side of the conduit.
    7. On one end of your para cord tie an Ashley Stopper Knot http://www.animatedknots.com/ashleys...matedknots.com
    Measure the spread you want on your legs and mark it on the cord measuring from the knot (I used thirty 30” inches). Feed the line from the bottom of one leg through the hole you just drilled and into the other leg hole and out the bottom (a wire can be used to help fish the cord through). Tie off the end at the mark with another Ashley Stopper Knot and cut the cord.
    8. With the knots inside the tubing press the rubber leg tips onto the bottoms of the legs and repeat steps 6-8 with the other set.
    9. With one of the remaining two center or back legs tie a loop on one end of your cord just big enough to fit over the rubber leg tip and measure the spread from your loop and mark. Feed the cord through one of the holes drilled into the conduit and out the bottom. Tie the Ashley Stopper Knot at your mark and feed the remaining line back up through the the center of the leg and out the other drilled hole using a wire to assist you. Tie another loop at the spread distance to finish off. Repeat on the other leg and press on the rubber feet.

Your legs are now ready to assemble into a tripod.

Some assembly required:

Now take one of your outside leg pairs, a free eye bolt with no leg attached, a locking carabiner, a continuous amsteel loop, and a shackle.

The shackle has a threaded and a non threaded hole for the shaft to fit and screw into.
    IMPORTANT Feed the non threaded end part thingy of the shackle into the eyelets placing the free eye bolt in the middle of your two outside legs. This will be the top part when your tripod is completely assembled.

Now place a continuous loop in the carabiner and place the carabiner over the threaded (bottom) end part thingy of the shackle so that when you lock the carabiner gravity will help the carabiner stay closed.

Screw the shaft into the shackle.

If you have done this correctly gravity will help prevent the threads on both the shackle and the carabiner from coming loose. These threads should be checked regularly to ensure they are not working loose.

Now set your eye bolts to look like this....https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...p?i=22012&c=15

Then screw on the middle leg. When complete it should look like this....

I use the spread limiting chords to make this a truly all terrain haven. Setting my loops and legs like this....https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...&cutoffdate=-1
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...&cutoffdate=-1

I attach my top pole in the amsteel continuous loop on the carabiner it is larks headed to the pole. With my suspension prusiked around the larks head like this.........https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...p?i=22007&c=15

Notes:
    It is important that the suspension from the hammock to the prusik be the outside half of the knot as the reverse tends to not hold as well and will sometimes slowly slip until one end come loose, then it will rapidly accelerate (ground hardness test in progress). I will re shoot this next time I set it up so the picture is clear.

Origins:

About a year ago in search of hammocks to rescue mine from being kidnapped by the Webhanger clan, I joined hammockforums. Although I was not able to find what I originally set out for I have been inspired to create an ARG of hammocks with many of the accoutrements. In the process I built a Turtledog stand, which I like. I have tested a version by Dangler which has some benefits I like also. Then I saw Bananahammocks experiment based off of the Schwenker barbecue design. Putting their ideas and concepts to work on my four brain cells (one design on each) I thought the vibrating might inspire a new concept in my head.

My goal was a safe stand, with minimum tools, time, and cost to build, while being easy to transport, set up, and use. So easy that my eight year old could learn to safely set up and use in one lesson taking less than four minutes (his approximate attention span).

Realizing I had many of the parts kicking around the house. I decided a field trip to my non hammock happy place was in order. So off to the hardware store I went for some quiet, contemplative, meditation. While there I had some inspiration among my reflection, not all of which I can blame on the stores attendant. When I realized I had something that I thought would be successful and a budget I thought I could hide from the Mrs. Webhanger auditing agency. I decided to go for it.

Testing in progress.:
    Never hang higher than you are willing to fall.
    Hang your own hammock (HYOH)
    No Webhanger monkeys were killed or injured in the creation of this stand. TRUE STORY!
    Last edited by webhanger; 09-30-2013 at 19:39. Reason: Trying to get pics to show
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I believe you have a winner there. I'm sure there will be some tweeking as these are built.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Nice. Two small details...

-find washers, nickles, etc, that fit snugly in the rubber leg tips and put them in. This will keep the conduit legs from cutting through.

-shorten the name...ain't nobody gonna remember BananaWebTurtleSchwenkDanglerDog stand.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Sounds great...Got any pics of the finished product?

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Nice. Two small details...

-find washers, nickles, etc, that fit snugly in the rubber leg tips and put them in. This will keep the conduit legs from cutting through.

-shorten the name...ain't nobody gonna remember BananaWebTurtleSchwenkDanglerDog stand.
    Thanks for the tip. Pennies work perfect in the rubber leg tips. The price just went up $.06.

The name took me a few tries to get it down. It makes me smile but I'm not hooked to it. Webhanger stand just seemed selfish somehow. I'm open to suggestions until something better comes along..... BananaWebTurtleSchwenkDanglerDog stand it is.
    Mind over matter,

Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    The preliminary testing went really well. To test the design I used the 190 lbs human test dummy (me in a repel seat strapped to the carabiner under one tripod). I hung my full weight from one tripod. It took it with out any movement. After a few wiggles and hops still nothing. Determining it is solid I went to stage two testing.

Just for comparison reasons I set one of my BWTSDD stands up with one Turtledog stand. I did this in side on my wood floor. As I was finishing the final double checks one of my Webhanger monkeys roughly dove into the hammock. The Turttledog shifted the back leg about 10 deg but did not go over. The new tripod didn't budge. I have had an ongoing issue with the Turtledog stands back leg wanting to twist. I am not sure if it is the way I positioned the hinges or an inherent problem in the design. Anyway the BWSTSDD was solid as a rock. After resetting that leg we were back in business. I was a bit concerned with the 1/2" tubing being enough to bear the weight and pressures involved in the motions. I am sure some mechanical engineer some place could figure the approximate point of failure. But for now I am confident that it will hold what I am sending at it. Maybe someday when I get bored I will push it to failure. That should be entertaining.

After having another human test subject butt in line I was the third to give it a try. As demonstrated by the previous testers everything went fine with the new design. I was very pleased (nice nap) with no points of concern to note at present.

I am still messing around with the ridge pole concepts and am not 100% satisfied with that design portion yet. However that was not my intent in this go around. My goal was to improve the tripod design. So far I feel it has been very successful.

One thing I discovered in the test was that the legs can be stored completely in tact with no screwing them on or off. The center leg just rotates over the top about 330 degrees and stores centered in between the other two and is accomplished in a matter of a few seconds. When stored the legs are really loosey goosey at the top but once rotated into position they will lock solid. The entire stand is hammock ready in just a couple of minutes. I think once I sort out the ridgepole design I should be able to be hanging in under 5 minutes. I am targeting two minutes, once I get the design right and become proficient with it.

The first field test went really well also and I was hoping to have the remainder of the field testing completed already, however we are set for another go in the next few weeks as it keeps getting shoved back in the schedule. I will post a couple more pics and the remainder of my results at that point.
    Mind over matter,

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

I can remember the name - just can't pronounce it.

This is a nice simple set up. I especially like that you can store everything without taking it apart. Great job!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Wow! webhanger, I just ran into your stand. That is really slick!! How is this still working for you and do you have anything that you would change if you made it again? Thanks bunches in advance.

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Wow! webhanger, I just ran into your stand. That is really slick!! How is this still working for you and do you have anything that you would change if you made it again? Thanks bunches in advance.
    +1 on this. I think I have my next building project lined up

Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    It is working great. It has pretty much replaced the Turtledog stand. I have had ample opportunity to field test it now. I have no need to make any major adjustments to the stand itself. I have changed the way I attach to the ridge pole. I have not photographed it yet but I am confident from the last two tests that it is a success.

I will attempt to describe it although I do not have the specs handy. I use a soft shackle to connect the ridgepole to the stand as I always have. What I have changed is I have eliminated the suspension/slings to the hammock completely. They have been replaced with another soft shackle which ends in a larks head on both ends, one to the hammock itself the other to the ridgepole. On the ridgepole I put the soft shackle to the stand centered in the middle of the larks head of the soft shackle going to the hammock. This ensures direct weight transfer. The net effect is a shorter ridgepole and an elevated hammock. This makes it more user friendly as the stand is less than 5 feet tall. With slings it puts you pretty close to the ground. This gets me pretty close to the height I regularly hang at. It is shorter and easier to pack around because the ridge pole is 6-12 inches longer than the ridge line on my hammock and in two pieces.

I am happy with the ridgepole mod I have created for now. It is a 24" inner sleeve with a set screw in the center to prevent it slipping into the two ridge pole half's and locking it securely in place, no arching or sagging. When weighted it is solid.

Happy Hanging
    Mind over matter,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast