Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images

Superfly setup question

I just ordered a new Superfly for my winter tarp...after watching a couple of setup videos, I have questions for you SF users:

1. if I plan to use a CRL with the SF, do I need to purchase some mitten hooks for the ridge rings? How are you rigging your CRL - or do you recommend doing without?

2. what are the advantages of the pole mod over the side tie-out technique shown in the Warbonnet setup video on their website? the side tie-out method appears to accomplish the same thing without having to carry the poles.

As always, thanks for the setup help.

Cheers.

Images
    for the rigeline, I prefer separate lines, a dutch hook on one end, and a flyz on the other. Let's you crank down nicely.
    For the tieouts, there's just so many lines. Getting rid of those four lines is worth the extra weight in poles, just get sick of walking around them and clothelining myself...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I tie a loop onto the plastic triangle and then prusik this to my CRL, I get good tension that way plus I can slide the tarp to where I want it before staking it down.

I've only ever used the side tie outs with hiking poles or convenient trees, if you can take them out horizontally or upwards you get much better tension, it's when they're staked to the ground that I notice most sag.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the Single Line Tarp Ridgeline purchased from whoopieslings.com. On one end of the line there is a knot bone and on the other end there is a figure nine. then there are two prusik loops that I use to attach to the tarp with some s-biners. I find this setup very easy to use and to adjust.

So far I have only used two different setups with my tarp. 1) A traditional setup with doors closed. 2) a porch-mode setup as shown in the attached pic.

Have fun experimenting with what works best for you! Everyone has their own creative styles (usually better than mine) for setting up their tarps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home. - Excerpt from Woodcraft by Nessmuk (George W. Sears)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, W/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings/MSH
    Images
    I posted a quick video showing how I had mine setup. I use a ridgeline with a hook on one end and use a stingerz on the other. I have to tell you, that mason line in the video picks up every single twig on the ground! I've move to amsteel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYfyeXv_nPA

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Woodsy, I like that configuration you have on your tarp, I’ll have to try that one day. I haven’t had my SF long enough to test out all its options.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images

Superfly setup question

I use the crl that Derek Hansen shows in his video. Nice v in the suspension able to slide it before staking it, super tight ridge line. I do not have a pole mod yet but I want to do it. Those four lines are a pain and to do the job need to be pulled up and out, I usually end up either tying them to a tree or small dead pole that I find. If I could get rid of those four lines I would be happy happy happy. Not to mention I also carry 4 stakes for those lines that I could ditch.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I tie a loop onto the plastic triangle and then prusik this to my CRL, I get good tension that way plus I can slide the tarp to where I want it before staking it down.

I've only ever used the side tie outs with hiking poles or convenient trees, if you can take them out horizontally or upwards you get much better tension, it's when they're staked to the ground that I notice most sag.
    Like Shewie said, and i do use my hiking poles or a stick to do the side pullouts, altho not every time. Love the SF
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    I use the crl that Derek Hansen shows in his video. Nice v in the suspension able to slide it before staking it, super tight ridge line. I do not have a pole mod yet but I want to do it. Those four lines are a pain and to do the job need to be pulled up and out, I usually end up either tying them to a tree or small dead pole that I find. If I could get rid of those four lines I would be happy happy happy. Not to mention I also carry 4 stakes for those lines that I could ditch.
    I use a single shock cord line between the pullouts and then i only use one pole and stake per side, cuts it down in half anyway. Have a bit of an aversion to the pole mod ,, not sure why.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Superfly setup question

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69040

That's how I did mine... Been working great so far... Lots of nights under that big thing...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast