Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy supershelter or ArrowHead equip underquilt

I currently have a tradition Hennessy expedition with bottom entry. Looking for bottom insulation. Was wondering what the thougts were on the hennessy system? I like the fact that I can easily add layers to it fr additional insulation and it appears rigid enough not o sag or compress from the weight, but then I saw the arrow head under quilt for hennessy, and for $20 more may have a more simple one piece system. I do camp in michigan in the winter but usually not below 20*.
    Right now I'm rocking a PLUQ with some added insulation but want something more full length and for colder weather.
    Thanks

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

One opinion - no guarantee of it being 2 cents worth

For starters, I have used a HH for years and really like it. I also have several other hammocks I have acquired over time and really like them too.

I have never used the Supershelter, by the same token, I've no memory of anyone speaking negatively about them.

My reason for going with an UQ initially was pretty simple in that there wasn't a choice since the supershelter was not available then. Since that initial purchase though, I learned that I unintentionally had more flexibility to use my insulation with other hammocks. I like the versatility of the UQ not only since it can be used effectively on nearly any hammock, it can also serve as top insulation or worn around camp in the event that it is needed for such a use.

If I were starting out today and had your decision to make, I think I'd still go with the UQ for the same reason, flexibility. A second reason would be potential marketability in the event that I wanted a change. I don't recall many supershelters moving in the "for sale" forum but I have seen Arrowhead gear move well. Also, I've seen more of Paul's gear in the woods than I have of Hennessey and each piece I saw was owned by a satisfied customer.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I have a SS and it works well, I've used it into the 20's with the space blanket with minimal clothes. It does take a little longer to setup than my SSUQ by Wilderness Logics. Comparing the weight between the 2, it seems the SS is lighter but slightly more volume.

So the trade-off is time and volume and the benefit is less weight and colder per dollar. Keep an eye on their sale, I scored one last year for around $100.

I like the fact that I have the SS for colder temps and an undercover for my SSUQ.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Supershelter, MSS
    I've used my SS from 65deg down to 35deg comfortably and down to 25deg with a doubled over fleece blanket added. I use the MSS bags(patrol and intermediate) as my oq according to temp. I'm going to find its limit this winter in the back yard before I go any colder than 25.
    I got my SS for $75 when I bought an explorer deluxe last spring.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    FYI, if you're looking for a new one, can't remember seeing in for sale here, I called Hennesy today to see if there were any Deep Jungles that were going to be added to the sale. They offered me one for 20%. You may have a similar experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ny700 View Post
    I currently have a tradition Hennessy expedition with bottom entry. Looking for bottom insulation. Was wondering what the thougts were on the hennessy system? I like the fact that I can easily add layers to it fr additional insulation and it appears rigid enough not o sag or compress from the weight, but then I saw the arrow head under quilt for hennessy, and for $20 more may have a more simple one piece system. I do camp in michigan in the winter but usually not below 20*.
    Right now I'm rocking a PLUQ with some added insulation but want something more full length and for colder weather.
    Thanks

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I much prefer my JRB MW3 UQ to the HHSS. Easier to setup, no messing with foam pad, space blankets...no worries about keeping the insulation underneath you.. HYOH, but I much prefer the UQ.

Hammock
    Hennessy (with a few mods)
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajam'
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks FL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I almost got a Super Shelter when I first bought my Hennessy, but after reading a ton of reviews about them changed my mind and bought an underquilt instead. The Super Shelter always seemed a bit faffy and overpriced for what it is, read about a few of the underpads wearing out pretty quick too. My vote's on an underquilt, it does the job without being made up of multiple sliding layers and won't wear out in a hurry either.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I've been very happy with the Potomac I got for my Deep Jungle. I find that it just fits better than other underquilts fit on other hammocks.

If you want to get into DIY, and I highly recommend doing so, there is a pattern and guide to making one here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq

I recently used that pattern to make a UQ for my son using a poncho liner and piece of IX insulation, greatly simplifying the process.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I have both, an WL UQ, and the HHSS for my explorer deluxe.

I've not yet used the UQ. I've used the HHSS as demonstrated by HH down to 18 deg F, with some 40-50 mph gusty winds. Stayed plenty warm, but I'll also note I was sleeping INSIDE a sleeping bag inside the hammock.

So far, I think that the UQ appears to be simpler to setup, and less bulky as mentioned before. It takes less time when you start setting it up because you don't have to pull out and add in the pad, then roll out and place the space blanket in there as well.

I think either one will likely serve you well.

What's more critical to you? Weight? Space/bulk? Price? Ease of setup?

Those are your variables to consider.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock & Garda
    I have the SS and used it with the OverCover for 3 nights in the mid 20s with significant wind on the eastern rim of Linville Gorge last year. I've used the system four times over the last three years, but the Gorge in February was the worst. If you want to beat the tourist, you got to get up very early.

The first night was a beater and I just suffered through it because we had a late start and had to set up camp in the dark. I also only had the Black Intermediate Cold Weather Bag of my USGI ECWS Modular Sleep System. The second night, prepared with a water bottle, and being able to add additional layers (my coat and pants) into the SS I was very comfortable. By the third night I was experimenting a little and used my trauma blanket as a VB layer inside my sleeping bag against my body (wearing silk thermals) and using my coat and pants to tuck up against the cold spots along the edges of the hammock where the wind was working it's way under the OverCover. With the VB layer, additional insulation between the hammock and UnderCover was not necessary and the foam pad was adequate.

I appreciated the versatility of the SS and OverCover together. I rig up my system before hand and just hang it most times, but having the flexibility to field adjust and modify gives me piece of mind. So for the most part, there is little I need to do when I'm using the system with my HH Ultralite Classic.

In fact, when it's time to break camp, I can leave my sleeping bag in the hammock and stuff the whole thing into the stock compression sack that came with my Modular Sleep System. I pack the tarp separately for ease of access. Since my hammock, insulation system, and the Modular Sleep System comprise the majority of the weight I'm carrying, they are stowed in the bottom of my Improved Load Bearing Equipment rucksack and keep my center of gravity lower. I prefer this set up for the steep terrain of the areas I frequent.

I can highly recommend the SuperShelter as a versatile piece of equipment that I've grown to trust. I have had no wear issues and sleep better knowing that the synthetic materials used in it's manufacturing function even when wet. I also hike slow and don't sweat the weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast