Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images

Elk City Lake, Kansas. First hang ever!

For those that think that Kansas is flat, well, when I got to this place the first thing I said was "you're not in Kansas any more!" Got to the trail head at 11:00. It's only 2 hours east of Wichita if you do the speed limit. The first thing you do is cross a 200 yard (park like) grassy area that takes you to a bridge that crosses a creek. The fun starts right away with a very steep 200 to 300 foot climb with numerous switch backs. As you look up, there are monstrous boulders at the top. As I looked east & west, I was thinking "How am I going to get up this thing without climbing gear?" As you get closer, you find a narrow passage way to squeeze through. It opens into a room with 30' walls 8' wide and 100' long. This place is COOL! This type of scenario continues for 1/2 mile or so.

Let me tell ya, I've been working out and doing hour hikes with my pack on with no problems. After just 15 mins. I was sucking wind big time! Good thing I was only carrying 52 lb. UL backpack I really need to lighten that thing up!

Anyway, this trail (blue) puts you through the tough stuff. There is another one (orange) on top of the hill that is less strenuous, which I took on the way back. The trail goes for 15 mile and I can't wait to go back and do more exploring.

I only went about 1 1/4 miles before I found the site that looked good for a camp site. I dropped off my gear and continued until I passed the 2 mile marker by another 1/2 mile, then turned around and headed back. It was time to play with my new toys! The scenery is fantastic. It overlooks a big lake, all kinds of wildlife, budding trees, coves ..... hard to describe it all.

I get back to camp and grab my new Claytor JH out of it's bag, or so I think. I guess someone thought I would much rather have a Mosquito Hammock instead! Not only that, but the thing only had one zipper, making it very hard to close when inside. Other than that, I had a warm sleep with my Alps Comfort pad and my 0 degree bag as a blanket. Actually, way too warm. I woke up a number of time sweating and feeling cramped up. Could use a little more space. Hope the JH is roomier than the Mosquito.

I also felt less organized. Couldn't figure out where to put my stuff if I need it in the middle of the night. To me it's way different then on the ground. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Well that's all for now, if you have any questions let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mitch; 03-28-2009 at 23:14. Reason: add pics

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I sailed on that lake a couple of times about 40 years ago. I was not looking for trails at that time. Glad you found some place in southeast Kansas to hike and hang.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    If you go to my other pictures you'll see many more of Elk City Lake. It is a very beautiful place. Cant' wait to get some summer pics.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey, mitch, sounds like a great time! I used to live in Wichita (grew up about 40 miles north), but could never find anywhere close to really get away, without camping in the middle of a pasture. I always heard that Elk City Lake was pretty, but I didn't realize just how nice. Thanks for posting the pictures. Nice to know that if I ever move back home there is a place to camp that looks like that.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Hey, mitch, sounds like a great time! I used to live in Wichita (grew up about 40 miles north), but could never find anywhere close to really get away, without camping in the middle of a pasture. I always heard that Elk City Lake was pretty, but I didn't realize just how nice. Thanks for posting the pictures. Nice to know that if I ever move back home there is a place to camp that looks like that.
    Your welcome. That was only the first 2 miles, another 13 miles left to look at! This is one of the nices trails I've been on, and a good work-out too.

Hammock
    HH or clone
    Tarp
    OES SpinnDeluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Mitch,

That is a nice trail. I go there every few years to hike and once did a 25k trail race. It is held every fall and is a good time. Watch the poison ivy from now until fall though. There is a trailhead at both ends and a couple places to park in the middle.

Terraplane
    Last edited by Terraplane; 04-04-2009 at 16:41.

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl &amp; Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD &amp; Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    mitch,

May well be the hammock you ordered in that stuff sack.
    I read (?some where?) all Tom’s stuff bags display the skeeter logo and 'Mosquito Hammock' to advertise his web site.
    My zipper works from either end.

John
    Travels with Samantha

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraplane View Post
    Mitch,

That is a nice trail. I go there every few years to hike and once did a 25k trail race. It is held every fall and is a good time. Watch the poison ivy from now until fall though. There is a trailhead at both ends and a couple places to park in the middle.

Terraplane
    I've always have a hard time figuring out which one is poison ivy, so I just avoid any three leaf plant. I'm going to try to do another over-night next Wednesday, provided I don't get called in. I think I will start at one of the roads in the middle.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dually View Post
    mitch,

May well be the hammock you ordered in that stuff sack.
    I read (?some where?) all Tom’s stuff bags display the skeeter logo and 'Mosquito Hammock' to advertise his web site.
    My zipper works from either end.

John
    Yes it is the right hammock, but it was missing a zip. Tom is going to send one, and I'll try to put it on myself

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice Mitch. Is that a Bushwacker stove? How did it work out?
    You will find a way to organize as you practice more.....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast