Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    I recently had two dogs camping with me and several more around the campsite area. They slept beneath and near my hammock. The only thing that disturbed the guy lines was me. I tripped on them a couple of times. The dogs stayed clear and free.....though they did run off with my shoes and socks once.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who crave closure

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If I pole mod my tarp, will staking it on one end be sufficient? I'm talking either dual poles, or one pole on the end not staked out. Would be an interior pole.

Fronkey - cute dog, love Huskies. Mine is a labbish mutt with Huskie tail and fuzziness. Best idea for overnite hikes I've heard so far, don't use the tarp if you don't need it.

Runner idea makes a lot of sense and might be lightest weight option. I like the idea of the pup being able to pee somewhere other than below the tarp if natures calls, so I still like the idea of being tied to one tree and having access around it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    I recently had two dogs camping with me and several more around the campsite area. They slept beneath and near my hammock. The only thing that disturbed the guy lines was me. I tripped on them a couple of times. The dogs stayed clear and free.....though they did run off with my shoes and socks once.
    in similar experience, my dog has never touched any of my lines. I do use a a yellow masons line or zing-it for my lines however, which may make them more visible to him, but the only thing to ever disturb one of my lines has been me...

Has anyone tried these?

Scroll to the bottom for specs. It's MuttHutts designed for dog shows and whatnot.

http://usak9outfitters.com/STMH.htm

My Pup is a @5mo Lab Mix rescued from the Animal Control Office in Garland,TX. She's already pushing 40lbs. She' my constant companion (always underfoot, lol) and I would love to teach her trail and campground manners.

I struggle with a few Ideas for dealing with nighttime and our safety. In a crate type deal, I'm afraid of her not being able to fend off critters etc.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly O'Smelly View Post
    My Pup is a @5mo Lab Mix rescued from the Animal Control Office in Garland,TX. She's already pushing 40lbs. She' my constant companion (always underfoot, lol) and I would love to teach her trail and campground manners.

I struggle with a few Ideas for dealing with nighttime and our safety. In a crate type deal, I'm afraid of her not being able to fend off critters etc.
    Nighthawk has used a "tent" type of thing for his dog and had great success.

Don't at all worry about your dog needing to fend off any animal at all. Your dog will be perfectly fine and hypothetically, if anything were to come near camp he will alert you. Trust me, I have spent a ton of times out in the woods with dogs and never had an issue.

Being that your dog is part lab, I'm betting that he is one really smart dog and will pick things up really quickly. You're going to have a blast with him out there.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY: 11' Pertex 4 - AKA 'ball bag'
    Tarp
    DIY: 10x10 S-Nylon
    Insulation
    DIY: CS Dual Diff
    Suspension
    DIY: Dyneema leads
    Images
    My original plan was to have a line as described above when i first moved away from tents, or even a purpose made dog tent, however i realised they would still get tangled on their leads anyhow and i probably wouldn't notice as they where not connected to me.

I eventually decided that i would apply the same principles as crate training to avert the behaviour opposed to correct it: less movement space = less frustration and more peace of mind for the dog. Only a crate is too big to carry..

So I keep my two large dogs attached to me on a waist harness, i shorten their leash of a night time to restrict any over excitement and define a bed area for them below me. I don't get any issues with them getting caught on the guys this way, it isn't possible. With two dogs leads getting tangled is kinda unavoidable if you want them to sleep together but this way you notice if it happens. They also get to join in with anything i am doing which makes them even happier.

To be honest it works very well for me, they sit directly below me in a little 'nest' [my bag, other kit and some makeshift bedding] and they don't get up and muck around through the night. If they where to get up and try to leave the tarp area i would certainly notice being pulled about. If they get too cold they can hop in

One thing i would not do is leave gaps at the bottom of the tarp. 1) your letting them see many distractions and an exit, so asking you'd be for it. 2) you'd be exposing them to the wind, dogs don't do well in the wind at all it cripples their insulation.
    Last edited by mr tickle; 10-19-2013 at 18:40.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12