Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

dogs and tarp tieouts

I'd like to take one or both of my dogs camping/hiking, but I'm concerned about them being tethered - at least at first - and ripping up my tarp tieouts. My thought was they would sleep under the tarp, but be leashed to one of the trees.

My first thought was to pole mod my tarp, which is great for spreading out the tarp, but it has to be secured somehow. Thinking I could tie one side at ground level and then perhaps keep the other side in porch mode, either tied to a nearby tree, or at the very least to a pole setup at a distance longer than the leash.

Does this make sense? Better ideas? If I pole mod, what's the best way to go? Dual pole mod or center mod?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    It is definitely a concern.
    When the dogs alert to something, it is just natural for them to take up a 'guard' position.

Porch mode works mostly, except if the cause of the alert is on the staked down side. if it is a critter close by, 2 or 4 legged, the dog will often push thru, under, over, whatever it takes.

Leave enough room on the low side for them to walk under. At the tie outs, place some other gear near the guy lines and they will avoid them and have fewer tangle issues.

Poles, single or double both work if you are talking about pocket mods.
    The double pole mod that has extra tie outs stitched into the middle of the tarp (ala Old Man Winter) provide additional tie out options, pole or no pole.

One other thing that comes to mind, and you likely already know, the dogs key off of you (alpha) for response intensity but it is their duty to alert to potential alarms, make you aware and then maintain vigilance based on your response. How you react will to some degree, dictate their respinse.

Last thing, a tired dog is a happy dog. The more trail time they get, the less they sweat the small stuff like leaves falling and squirrels.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps for now
    I worried about my dog getting tangled and all at first, but the guy lines didnt seem to bother him. He moved around them, even in the dark, without an issue. I did have him tethered to a tree that limited his range, but he could still get in/around the near end.

Also like Ratdog says... your dog being tired will certainly reduce the issues.

You could check out Fronkey's posts and YouTube videos on camping with his wolf.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm imagining his "wolf" not caring much about other wolves coming around.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

He has a beautiful husky he hikes and camps with, besides his videos are entertaining.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I hike with two dogs, so the issue is doubled for me.

I avoid the issue by tying off to vegetation as much as possible. Even with the guys tied as little as 12-18" off the ground it works well.

I recently tied one guy to a log on the ground. The dog got tangled on the guy. She solved the issue by chewing through it. It was the only one not tied to vegetation.

On the same trip, we got some rain. I took the porch mode guys and staked them to the ground. As long as it was raining and wet outside the tarp, the dogs didn't bother that arrangement. However, the next morning we had a couple of issues.

We had a huge issue with our dog Max getting tied up in the tarp lines of our tarps. What I did was make a runner line (I think thats what they are called????). It is attached to the same tree's that our hammock is attached too.

I took two tree straps and attached whoopies made from 7/64th amsteel to them, I spliced the whoopies together so that the entire unit was one piece and on the ends we have a biner so that we can attach the runner line to the tree's, just feed the entire thing through the fixed eye on the one strap, then around the other tree clipping the biner to attach it on the other end (think a hammock suspension on the ground, or a tarps continuous ridgeline). Then tighten the whoopies so it's snug now the runner is fixed. On the runner is a SMC rappelling ring, which allows unrestricted movement along the full length of the runner, we then attached Max's leash to the SMC ring. The leash we normally use with him while out is a runners leash so it can be adjusted to the length needed, so far this has kept him out of the tarps lines, and allows him to move around at night as he chooses, yet being secured beneath one of us and under the protection of the tarp. This so far has worked very well for us, and him. It all gets stored in a ziplock baggie and placed in his pack.

I attached pic's below, hopefully they show it well enough to understand my babbling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    +1 to what Yoda says....I always rig a "run" where possible. I take 2 dogs, 30lbs & 12lbs, important for each to have a run with no overlap.

Also, forgot to mention, shock cords on the tie outs. When the dog gets tangled, the shock cord will take the hit before really stressing the tarp.

oh, and camp away from a trail that might be used by others as a thruway.

Once I camped at the end of a loop next to a great field of blueberries. Setup at night, next morning the crowd was trying to pass thru as my 12lb took up toll collection duties. Did make for a nice breakfast, as folks laughingly contributed berries to the bowl I put out.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There are a couple things you can do to avoid your pup getting into the guylines. The first thing is to put the tarp into porch mode and instead of having your guy lines stake into the ground, you just tie them off on a tree/branch about a 18 inches off the ground.
    What I do for "Tala" is just don't give her enough leash to get to the guylines. We're both tired after a long day of hiking and she only goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night when I do so she doesn't need the long leash anyway. Also, if we don't have to use a tarp at night, than we don't. Here is a video I made about hammocking with a dog. Have fun out there with your pup!

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast