WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

Pct?

Any other hammock hangers thru-hiking the PCT in 2014?
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I'd be worried with how much of the PCT is above tree-line
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

No 'worries'...

Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I've already done my thru 'homework' plus have both past non-hanging & hanging experience in many areas of the PCT. The adage of "hike high, camp low" is well suited especially for the Sierra if one only does one major pass per day... I will also be sufficiently prepared to go to ground if needed or wanted, especially if I decide to not let the hammock dictate my daily miles in some areas or situations.

Actually the 'normal' reply regarding hammocking the PCT usually concerns the first few hundred miles in the SoCal 'desert' as being treeless - yet the vast majority of the SoCal PCT is not lacking for hang sites! Both guySmiley & Chop (HF members), who have thru-hiked the PCT have said they would take a hammock the entire length of the PCT from start to finish if (or when) they thru-hike it again (they both started on the ground, but switched to their hammocks farther up the trail).

So - I have no 'worries' about that!
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    Freebird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ WB MJ
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Rings/Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I have been wondering the same thing. Have any hangers attempted or completed a thru hike of the PCT with a hammock???
    Fair Winds & Following Seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannowar View Post
    I have been wondering the same thing. Have any hangers attempted or completed a thru hike of the PCT with a hammock???
    yes there has. There is a thread on it here

found it

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=56199
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

I am not doing the PCT in 2014 but just got back a couple days ago from my 2013 attempt. (WA weather was brutal)

I started with a hammock but ditched it within the first 3 days...(got it back at mile 1400...then ditched it again at mile 1500)

Using a hammock is possible the entire way, but you will need to be creative(hanging from cattle gates/etc) and probably very flexible regarding hanging over shrubs and less than ideal campsites, stopping short for the day or having to walk farther than you wanted to find trees.
    There are some beautiful spots to hang from tho.

I prefer a hammock, and have hammocked 1700 miles on my AT hike... but the PCT was no where near as good/easy to hammock as the AT.
    just a heads up.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I know that Sgt. Rock was researching it a ways back (it was why he was trying out various "bug tent" type tarps for a while there), so it may be worth a PM to him to see if he's got any information that might be helpful.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

Previous PCT hangers

Quote Originally Posted by Mannowar View Post
    The "Ewoks" in '02 and "Roni from Israel" in '03 are ones I know about that have 'hammocked' the entire trail. Roni admitted going to ground "about 5 times" - after he decided to not let the hammock 'dictate' his daily miles...

There have been others that used hammocks 'part way' - and many others that planned on using a hammock but either went to ground for (mostly) 'social' reasons or got off the trail due to other circumstances... Unfortunately most 'hangers' didn't keep online journals, or, if they did, they 'disappeared' relatively early (assume they got off the trail) without any explanation or follow-up...

There's a lot of pertinent info in the link Ewker noted above - from both Chop and Sgt. Rock.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

In regards to cliffhanger's "heads up" post...

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    I am not doing the PCT in 2014 but just got back a couple days ago from my 2013 attempt. (WA weather was brutal)

I started with a hammock but ditched it within the first 3 days...(got it back at mile 1400...then ditched it again at mile 1500)

Using a hammock is possible the entire way, but you will need to be creative(hanging from cattle gates/etc) and probably very flexible regarding hanging over shrubs and less than ideal campsites, stopping short for the day or having to walk farther than you wanted to find trees.
    There are some beautiful spots to hang from tho.

I prefer a hammock, and have hammocked 1700 miles on my AT hike... but the PCT was no where near as good/easy to hammock as the AT.
    just a heads up.
    Initially I was going to somewhat ignore this post, but for others that may be looking for some pertinent PCT hammocking info I felt 'some' response was warranted.

But, first, congrats on your hike, cliffhanger - you say it was an "attempt", but in saying that if you think it was not a 'success' IMHO it actually was successful because you got out there on the trail for an extended amount of time (!)... Good for you!! I'm eagerly looking forward to 'my time' on the PCT next year!

Regarding the hammocking comments in the post:
    You do not actually say why you "ditched" your hammock (twice, even! - I especially don't understand the 2nd time, from mile 1400 (latter part of section N, ~Hat Creek Rim) to mile 1500 (most of section O) in NorCal - there's tons of places to hang in that stretch!! )... I know one might have to be "creative" in hanging after Mt. Laguna in SoCal for quite a stretch - but there are many locations with hang 'opportunities', even in areas where there are 'no trees' or trees that do not look 'suitable' initially - but I guess I always have been somewhat "creative" previously using one tree and a rock or bush or two bushes across a depression or 'long' hangs (more than 24' -that's "long" for me, at least - between hang/anchor points), etc. ... My only current PCT hanging concerns for next year are some of the recent wildfire areas in SoCal - that will be a "wait & see" when I get there if I cannot find enough info doing some research this winter...

I do not know what you consider an "ideal campsite" - but for me a thru-hike is more about the 'hiking', NOT the 'camping'... 'Camping' on a thru is primarily for sleeping (!) and recuperating for the next day's hiking - it does not have to be like a 'tent campsite' for a hammock, or an extended 'base camp' hang, either (or were you previously 'spoiled' by all the AT's privies & tables at the shelter areas? )... On all the PCT work projects I've been on I let all the ground dwellers select their tent sites after setting up the camp kitchen/'community' area before I hang my hammock because they 'need' a flat, open space to set up; I don't necessarily need that with the hammock, just a small spot for my feet when I swing in or out of the hammock...

Speaking of the AT, there are some 'treeless' areas there as well - what did you do then? I do have, BTW, a 'go to ground' back-up shortened Z-Rest pad (also will be my lower leg hammock insulation, if needed, and probably used more frequently as a trail break sit/lounge pad!). And, IMHO, some areas of the AT that I have been on have too many trees, ironically, for what you said was "good/easy" hanging!

Perhaps if you explained further why you ditched your hammock in NorCal (specifically), I could understand better since I've never had any hanging 'problems' in NorCal whatsoever - but in the meantime I will go with what HF members Chop and guySmiley have previously passed along in previous PCT threads, plus what I already know from personal experience, well aware I may have to be "creative" and "flexible" at times (but being flexible is normally considered a requirement on a thru-hike anyway, for hangers or ground dwellers alike!) to hang as much as possible on the PCT.

As in all long distance hiking - HYOH (H can be either "hike" or "hang" in this case!).
    Last edited by enyapjr; 10-04-2013 at 19:00. Reason: correct a dropped letter.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Thanks for starting this thread, enyapjr. I'm looking at the PCT for 2014, and have been having the same questions. Happy to read this thread and check out these references.

Have you figured out what you're going to do for the desert section?

I can't imagine going back to ground-dwelling, but am wary given how uncommon hammocks seem out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast