Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pct?

I've done some hiking on PCT in areas where it would not be easy to hang a hammock. I'm thinking that some way to ground-dwell in a pinch would be a good idea. That means either having a pad as part of your system, or being willing to have an uncomfortable night. Still learning - does this make sense to others?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    Quote Originally Posted by UltorEgo View Post
    I've done some hiking on PCT in areas where it would not be easy to hang a hammock. I'm thinking that some way to ground-dwell in a pinch would be a good idea. That means either having a pad as part of your system, or being willing to have an uncomfortable night. Still learning - does this make sense to others?
    Does it make sense to have a ground dwelling option? Absolutely!

Perhaps you missed some of the earlier posts in this thread, but I'm fairly certain that all of us hiking & hanging the PCT next year have already planned on taking some form of "go to ground" back-up (at least in SoCal ) - however, I will be trying my very best to NOT use it as such!!
    Last edited by enyapjr; 11-18-2013 at 09:52.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    The new Gossamer Gear pads are about the lightest most compressible option for ground dwelling, but they are not insulated. That may not be an issue except at high elevations.

The dead air in the pad would add some insulation and combined with clothing and good site selection, may be warm enough on cold nights on the ground.

I suspect that you could use the GG pad as part of you your hammock system. It would add some warmth and could allow you to loose some weight by going with a lighter underquilt.
    So it wouldn't be dead weight when hammock Hanging.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    I would use the blue walmart pad folded 3 times and used as a frame in a pack...it makes a really good frame and it holds it's shape better than the gg pads. But the gg are lighter if you don't need a frame

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

Pct?

My schedule would never let me hit it in one go. But I'm hoping to bag a few key sections piece by piece.
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

Never say "never"!

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    My schedule would never let me hit it in one go. But I'm hoping to bag a few key sections piece by piece.
    Never say "never"!

A time may (will?) come when it might (would) be 'possible'... If a thru-hike is a dream, or just a 'thought', don't ever abandon the idea entirely!
    Meanwhile, go ahead and get out there and bag some of those sections - it's all 'good' in my book!!

Hope to see you somewhere on the PCT 'sometime'.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

FYI - Previous PCT hangers - 2012 journal

Quote Originally Posted by Mannowar View Post
    I have been wondering the same thing. Have any hangers attempted or completed a thru hike of the PCT with a hammock???
    For everyone's further information - recently found a 2012 sobo PCT journal in which he didn't hang only 2 nights... Pretty much confirms what both guySmiley & Chop passed along in previous threads (links in post #9 of this current thread) - with only SoCal possibly having a problem hanging sometimes (more so for a nobo putting in relatively short mileage days starting out)...
    One thing to point out in his list - though Lake Morena does have trees, the county park does NOT allow anything attached to their trees(!)...

Can't wait to get out there! - 'only' about 5 months until I start (exact date not set yet - will depend upon the snow reports in Spring).
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

Pct?

Quote Originally Posted by enyapjr View Post
    Never say "never"!

A time may (will?) come when it might (would) be 'possible'... If a thru-hike is a dream, or just a 'thought', don't ever abandon the idea entirely!
    Meanwhile, go ahead and get out there and bag some of those sections - it's all 'good' in my book!!

Hope to see you somewhere on the PCT 'sometime'.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, much appreciated.
    As a freelance photographer/assistant my schedule is extremely unpredictable, so I'm hoping to manifest my appreciation for the trail and those on it in another way. I'm working on building my kit in a way that let's me spend a week at a time on the trail, photographing portraits and taking brief interviews for a potential gallery show.
    Hopefully, not only will I see some of you on the trail, but photograph your portraits as well.

Alex
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Dou you have more info on the current condition of the trail. Just curious as to the drought and fires causing poor site and water source availability issues.

I have read many travel journal style books on all the Big 3 trails something I find lacking is a hammock based book. I would like to encourage you to keep notes and take pics. When you are ready write. You seem to have a clear mind and ability to express you thoughts in a way that both informs and catches my attention.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

2014 info re. the PCT...

Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    Dou you have more info on the current condition of the trail. Just curious as to the drought and fires causing poor site and water source availability issues.

I have read many travel journal style books on all the Big 3 trails something I find lacking is a hammock based book. I would like to encourage you to keep notes and take pics. When you are ready write. You seem to have a clear mind and ability to express you thoughts in a way that both informs and catches my attention.
    Not sure to whom you are addressing your query, but I will share what I know to date (sorry in advance for the 'rambling' response(!), but there is some 'background' explanations required IMHO)...

In anticipation of someday hiking (& my 'love' of) the PCT, I have followed the Sierra snow & weather reports for many years over entire winter & spring seasons... With this learned 'knowledge', in mid December I decided to probably start my PCT trek 'early' ~April 10th after the latest long term weather predictions from NOAA's NWS Climate Prediction Center were released at that time; then when the CPC's mid January predictions came out and viewing the CA Dept. of Water Resources graphs (this interactive set of graphs is more 'fun' for comparing many previous years), I moved my start date up an additional week and made my travel reservations! I fly into San Diego the evening of March 31st, do some shopping & shipping the next day, then head nobo on the PCT April 2nd. Why 'gamble' on such an early departure? - mostly so I can spend some extra time with some current & former trail angel friends, hopefully drop in & visit with my Lyons' Pride trail crew buds I've worked with the last few years, visit family in far NorCal, and be able to 'take my time' yet finish well before the snow flies in WA... I don't consider it that much of a 'gamble' really - predictions for above average temps and below average precip go clear through May(!); none of the long term computer simulations show any significant "train" of storms forming for CA or southern OR; AccuWeather's 45-day forecast only shows a very few minor precip events for Mammoth Lakes & Tahoe - all of these confirming why we are hearing the latest news stories of the continued drought in CA (third year) & most of OR (second year)... It does indeed, unfortunately, look like it may be a record 'dry' year for CA.

So how will this affect the PCT, or rather those hiking the PCT this year? I fully anticipate any natural water source commonly labeled as "seasonal" to be completely dry (unless there was a significant precipitation event just prior to arriving there)... It will mean having to carry more water on some stretches of the trail, possibly go off-trail more often & farther to known viable water sources... There are numerous man-made water sources, most being off-trail, that will have to be utilized... And, though I ethically disagree with them being provided and will not use them personally, there are also some water caches in always 'dry', long stretches of the trail which people are NOT supposed to RELY ON, but some do anyway! (& that's all I'll say about that for now!)...

Perhaps the biggest 'change' for those on the PCT this year (and I see it becoming 'controversial' because some thrus will ignore it!) may very well be the very early and probable widespread 'campfire' ban - and agency definition of 'campfire' would include alcohol stoves (no shut-off valve nor 'closed' fuel containment)... It does not change my 'plans' at all - I had already decided to eat 'cold' much of the time and use a canister stove if I wanted some 'hot' food... Some SoCal National Forests already have year-round campfire bans outside of established, designated areas (campgrounds & picnic areas) - and with the very dry conditions, the restrictions will probably be even more severe in SoCal and also much more widespread further N up the trail - perhaps even in OR(?).
    With the continued drought and very dry conditions, plus anticipated above average temps now through the summer, fire danger levels will be very high to extreme... Everyone on the trail should take proper precautions to make absolutely certain that they won't start a 'wild' fire! - and also hope or pray that there aren't too many lightning storms, especially 'dry' lightning storms - anywhere along the PCT!! If there are fire closures - the trail will be what it will be, as it is each year - my promise to myself is to walk a continuous path to Canada, so if there's a fire closure I will walk around it!

Regarding no "hammock based book" for the Big 3 trails, my simple thought on that - long distance hiking is all about the hiking & putting in the miles, not about the 'camping' aspect of it. Not many write much about their 'tenting' on the long trails, either...
    I will have an online journal (will post links for it and some other 2014 PCT hangers 'later' on this sub-forum), but I won't be a 'slave' to the journal, either - and it definitely won't be any literary masterpiece whatsoever! I will, however, be making some hanging specific "notes", especially in SoCal, for others on HF contemplating a PCT thru-hike; another 'goal' is to take a photo of each night's campsite (hopefully hanging!) which might include a couple of 'interesting' hangs without trees. Wait & see......
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast