BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    like stated, i dont think tensioners are needed, but i use them anyway to reduce stress in times of gusts or high wind. it seems like it will really help ease the force applied to the giant sail that is my tarp.
    6' lines on sides. 8' lines on ridge.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

For the OES Spinntex DeLuxe

No tensioner needed. Brian builds a pretty bomb proof product.
    ~8 foot of AirCore at the tie outs. Almost weightless line and overkill for strength.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings

Resurrecting on old thread...

Most of you have said here that you don't use tensioners with your SpinnUL tarps. So what sorts of knots do you use to secure your tarp lines to your stakes?

Do you use an adjustable knot like a taughtline hitch or a two half hitches OR do you use something like a bowline?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jofish View Post
    Most of you have said here that you don't use tensioners with your SpinnUL tarps. So what sorts of knots do you use to secure your tarp lines to your stakes?

Do you use an adjustable knot like a taughtline hitch or a two half hitches OR do you use something like a bowline?
    A marlinspike hitch, using the stake as the spike, works very well.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Has anyone ever had Brian add line locks to the tarp? Like the ones MLD uses. These seem to remove a lot of adjustment pain and would make setup super simple. I wonder how well they work on a ridgeline?

I have some, I just haven't committed to cutting into mine yet and adding them.

Link to the line loc/ladder locks I am talking about:
    http://www.itwnexus.com/catalog/inde.../a/2/c/0/p/114

For attaching the line to the stake, I use a wrap method similar to the one Warbonnet Guy demonstrated in his tarp video.
    Last edited by BlackGoat; 01-27-2010 at 16:24. Reason: added link

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I just use Zing It 1.7MM (I think) all around. This only added 1.6 ounces to the initial weight of the tarp and stuff sack. I have the SpinnUL Deluxe.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    The No Knot Guy Lines I sell dont require any knots. Toggle or larkshead the prusik loop to your D ring and thats it. Adjustment is made by placing one of the fixed eyes over your stake/ guy point and pulling tight. Weight each without the tensioner is 5 grams.

http://whoopieslings.com/No_Knot_Tarp_Guylines.html

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddkmiller View Post
    I recently purchased the same tarp and have yet to set it up (how sad is that??). I'd like to know if you guys use a single ridge-line with prussils to tension the tarp or do you tie a line from each end of the tarp? I have always used a single line but I am open to suggestions. ANy advantage or disadvantage to either setup other than the weight of the rope?
    I keep trying to get around to the separate line with the tarp over the line, so I can hang wet clothes or whatever. But I have stuck with the skins for a couple of years or so, because it has just seemed to work dang good, especially when the wind is howling. I'm sure I could adjust the tarp easier and with more precision with the prussicks, but it is pretty simple and easy right now.

For example, when I pulled into camp on the last Sipsey trip, it had just started an all night rain, sometimes heavy. So I tied one end of the JRB tarp in skins to tree #1 with a easy to undo knot, then tie to the other tree. I eyeball it, and decide it is centered close enough, and tighten the knots/line. I don't really need it centered precisely anyway. Because I always try to hang one end a bit higher than the other, if I'm not quite centered I'll make up for it by raising or lowering one end after original set up. So after that the tarp comes out of the skins, a little at a time if the wind is bad. Once the tarp is up ( which was just a few minutes later) and staked- with a hiking pole porch- then I wrap the hammock webbing around one tree and clip the biner, adjust so that the triangle ring is about 6" under the tarp repeat on tree #2, and tighten up each end as needed so that the hammock is more or less centered on the tarp. Actually, I think in that case I pulled the hammock closer to the uphill tree, away from the river. Because the rain was trying to blow in the other end.

All of that only took a few minutes, and all was bone dry. And believe me, it was pouring pretty good at times. So how much easier does it need to be? I ended up hanging my wet clothes over the WBBB RL.

Still, I'll probably end up trying a separate line. Just for fun and to have a place to hang stuff! Maybe then I will realize how superior it is. Will I have to give up my skins?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Will I have to give up my skins?
    I dont see why you would. The only difference between 2 seperate lines and 1 is the physical presence of the line under the tarp.

The benefit is several fold. First, as you stated you have somewhere to hang items. Another is you have the ability to adjust tarp placement without having to untie the line holding the tarp up.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Still, I'll probably end up trying a separate line. Just for fun and to have a place to hang stuff! Maybe then I will realize how superior it is. Will I have to give up my skins?
    No. When you roll the tarp into the skins, have it over the tarpline. Doesn't matter what you do after unrolled, if you want the tarp under the line just feed one side under. Or leave it over.

Skins stay on the ridgeline. Everything works as before, it's just a bit simpler to adjust the tarp's position by moving it along the rigdeline.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast