Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob Question

Noob Question

I am thinking about buying my first Hammock. I'm looking at a Explorer Deluxe Asym with hex fly. Also looking at a Wallcreeper sleeping bag. Will this combo work to keep me warm down to 35F? I like the idea of bottem entry, and not having to mess with a zipper that will probably fail when bugs are at they're worst. I have a thermarest pad but I can't imagine using it with bottem entry. I dont want it to get to complicated. Other option is a BB where I could probably use my sleep pad. Any sugestions?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a down Wallcreeper and am totally disapointed by it. It weighs too much and is way too big around for my at 200 pounds. It also starts to have trouble keeping me warm under 50 and 35 would never happen without help.

Since I'm such a good salesman, if you PM me I will sell it to you.

There are better options for sleeping bags that you can walk around in such as the Wren.

The Explorer is a good hammock and you can always get them on ebay for pretty cheap. I use a z-rest with my HH without much trouble.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You can use a thermarest partially inflated and stay warm. It won't matter what bag you have - the insulation compresses underneath you and without a pad or underquilt, you will be cold. The trick to the HH bottom entry is to fold the pad in half, push it north of the entry slit, get in, plant your feet, raise your bum, and unfold the pad then position it. Easier than it sounds.

Check out the Jacks R Better No Sniveler if you like wearable insulation. Their three season set is HH specific.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quilts are the way to go. I just recieved my JRB quilt which I am quite impressed with. I got the Hudson River. A good 3/8" closed cell pad will get you down to 35-40 with a good top quilt.
    Happy hanging!
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The HH Explorer Ultralight is the Hammock I use and although I have a hex fly, the stock tarp really does provide plenty of coverage.

As for bottom insulation, I switch back and forth from the JRB Nest that works great and the Exped 9 Deluxe DAM. It takes a little getting used to, but the pad works fine inside as well.

If you decide to go the Hennessey route, I have one I may be selling. In fact I actually have 3 as well as too many other hammocks and tents and it is time to do some closet cleaning.

Thanks for the replies! I'll do some more research on a sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippy View Post
    Just in case you're missing the main point here - your top insulation is probably less important than your BOTTOM insulation!

What are you planning to put underneath you in the hammock? Your sleeping bag along won't cut it, no matter what brand you buy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippy View Post
    And I missed the bit in the original post. Yes, a BB will be easier than an HH when using a pad. But you can use one in either hammock and you will need to, unless you buy an underquilt.

Two quilts take up the same space as a good sleeping bag. You won't need the extra insulation of the sleeping bag bottom in a hammock (you don't on the ground, either, hence the Big Agnes sleeping bag line with pad pocket instead of the bag bottom). Some people use their sleeping bag as a top quilt by unzipping down to the foot box.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    too many other hammocks and tents and it is time to do some closet cleaning.
    Blasphemy!

Gotta have something under you, no doubt! Pads work in Hennessys, but it takes some devotion of time for practice. I call it the "pad dance" and she ain't a very good partner. Still, I used a pad in my Hennessy for almost a year before I got sucked into the dark world of underquilts. It can be done and it can be done well. For me, it required the use of a SPE from the Speers. I couldn't get the pad to stay put without it and it helped with some of the perspiration issues too.

Course, you could just go with the BB option and be done with it. Pads or underquilts are a breeze in the BBs.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Just in case you're missing the main point here - your top insulation is probably less important than your BOTTOM insulation!

What are you planning to put underneath you in the hammock? Your sleeping bag along won't cut it, no matter what brand you buy.
    I thought I'd try my thermarest pad being I allready have one. Just thought a wearable bag might be nice for crawling out on cold mornings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast