WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up SS test with windshield reflector--Success!

Slept outside Saturday night in the hammock, testing how the SS does with the reflective windshield cover from WM. Initially VERY warm in my 15 deg bag, and from previous testing I knew to ventilate. It felt like an electric mattress pad under me when I went to bed/hammock with temps around 60 deg.

Some nice aspects of the reflector pad as opposed to a space blanket was that it stayed in place very well, was very quiet, is much tougher than a space blanket, and offers a bit of insulation, which both helps with warmth and also, I think, with condensation. I bought the large size at WM--it's a space blanket laminated to a closed-cell foam sheet, and it folds up very nicely and compactly.

Toward morning I started to feel a bit cool on my legs (found out later there was a gap there), but my upper body was fine. Still could sleep well, but disappointed in the performance until I checked the thermometer--34 degrees, and not any condensation that I could feel on the windshield cover (I placed it between the hammock and the underpad).

Very nice--especially considering I was only wearing a synthetic base layer and wool socks. I could have worn some fleece and I think with adjusting the pad a bit I could have gone below freezing!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Were you using the pad for the SS as well?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes--in addition to the windshield reflector, I used the OCF pad and the undercover that comes with the supershelter system. I've tried the cover by itself, the pad by itself, and both with a space blanket between the pad and hammock, and none were as comfortable as this option. I do okay with a CCF pad inside the hammock, and have gotten down to this temp or a bit below with only a CCF pad, but this way is much more comfortable.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Yes--in addition to the windshield reflector, I used the OCF pad and the undercover that comes with the supershelter system. I've tried the cover by itself, the pad by itself, and both with a space blanket between the pad and hammock, and none were as comfortable as this option. I do okay with a CCF pad inside the hammock, and have gotten down to this temp or a bit below with only a CCF pad, but this way is much more comfortable.
    Good test and "mods", I guess you might say. I remember I always did OK with just the SB and pad down into the upper 30s anyway, though I'm also quick to use the HH kidney and torso pads, which takes me a good bit lower. I agree that the legs ( my calves if memory serves) are more of a problem, probably do to a gap. Extra padding under the torso ( on top of the pad or under it) with a leg pad inside the hammock is probably a good option, as it will have minimal effect on comfort. Many use this option with the torso length under quilts.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Heh--I hoped you would notice this thread, BillyBob! You, your glowing reports, and your recapping of the current SS wisdom are some of the main reasons I decided to go with that system in the first place!

I might try the leg pad inside, if I can keep it where I want it. Might have to rig up some kind of suspension, or maybe not. I'll have to give it a try. Are there any photos around of the kidney/torso pads? I've never been able to find any here or the Hennessey site. I might have access to some similar foam as the regular underpad, and if they are similar I might give that a try.
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Heh--I hoped you would notice this thread, BillyBob! You, your glowing reports, and your recapping of the current SS wisdom are some of the main reasons I decided to go with that system in the first place!
    Same for me, thanks BillyBob.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Images
    You are all very welcome, glad to know that I might have been of some help! I am still fond of my SS, though I have branched out to some other excellent gear like PeaPods and MWUQs. I can't remember if the kidney/torso pads ever showed on the website, or if I just asked them about them. You should give them a call or e-mail if interested, to see if they still have them. I have occasionally considered using 2 sets of kidney/torso pads for really cold weather rather than some other SS options. I can't figure why they don't list them at their website if they still offer them.

Also, TeeDee used to have real good results by adding some flexible Gossamer Gear pads on top of the HH pad.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; TriGlides
    Images
    I find the SS with OCF pad and the windsheild refelctor to be a great cold weather combination. My biggest issue is the fragility of the OCF pad itself. Although I have not torn mine many of my buddies have. I would have liked to buy SS's for our Scout Troop hammocks but knowing how the rough the kids can be I'll opt for something sturdier.
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't blame you. I was a scout once, and our old canvas tents survived in spite of us. It certainly isn't the best option out there--just another option. I'm happy with how well it has worked for me considering the difference in price between it and a down UQ.
    --Scott <><

sounds great to me, I think I just bought the very same one today thinking hey this should be better than a thin heat sheet. Pat's self on back for a job well done lol , thanks for the sharing of great info, guys.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast