Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Hammock fabric stretching issue?

Hey guys viper here!

A while back I posted about this issue of I have seen a lot of hammocks seem to have these stretch marks in them and I was asking if it's Gana be an issue and drop me or not. (These stretch marks are simmilar to taking a plastic bag and pushing your finger into it to stretch it but not rip threw it)

Anyways for some reason these bother me when I see them so does anyone know how to avoid them from happening to begin with? Or what causes them? Because obviously you would think well wherever you put a lot of pressure in the fabric but I see them in places to where I don't even lay or like ever even put pressure and I see them their also any thoughts? And from your guyses personal exsperence has one of these "stretch marks" ever led to hammock failure?
    Thanks guys!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I had an M50 hammock that got stretch marks and it lead to a failure out on the trail in the snow. Not saying the stretch marks caused the failure, but the fabric got stretch marks and the fabric failed. YMMV.

What kind of fabric is it? The best way to avoid it is to use a heavier weight fabric. Or become a lighter hanger.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I had an M50 hammock that got stretch marks and it lead to a failure out on the trail in the snow. Not saying the stretch marks caused the failure, but the fabric got stretch marks and the fabric failed. YMMV.

What kind of fabric is it? The best way to avoid it is to use a heavier weight fabric. Or become a lighter hanger.
    It's 30d ripstop nylon and I'm at about 150lbs I'm just not fond of the thought of ending up on the floor/ground ex specially when camping. And so those little marks make me a little nervous
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Understandable. I can attest that it is no fun ending up on the ground while out on the trail. I believe 30d tends to be 1.1. I have a 1.1 and a 1.0 hammock and they have both held me fine and I weigh 190, although neither of them have had stretch marks. By all standards 1.1 should hold you at 150. But you could have a fabric issue if it's getting stretch marks. I don't know much about fabrics so I'm mostly talking out of my arse in that regard.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

I had those "stretch marks" in a hammock that was rated for my weight, though I was at the very top end of the scale. I sent it back as it concerned me and it was replaced with a similar material and it hasnt happened again.

I would caution to be very careful with what anybody happens to be wearing while laying in a hammock with thin material. Lying down for a quick nap in your hiking pants that may have zipper pulls or even back pocket flap buttons can cause those stretch marks too.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    30D ripstop is a tried and true fabric. That said... it comes in different qualities from different manufacturers. It sounds like you are dealing with a loose weave problem. This is one of the problems with a denier rating as opposed to weight. The denier rating on poorly made fabric can be identical to that of a high quality fabric. Denier refers to the individual threads woven into the fabric. Loose weaves will be cheaper because there is less thread in the fabric. But the threads in a loose weave are able to slip around more than in a tight weave.

How much does it matter? In as much as 30D ripstop is manufactured for garments and not weight bearing, it probably does not matter much. But for weight bearing applications I would go with a higher quality fabric. That's the problem with Wally World's bargain bins. You never know what you are going to get. If I was working with mission critical lightweight fabrics I would buy from one of our cottage vendors. For just a backyard lounger or similar diy project you would probably be alright. From a commercial manufacturer, cheap hammocks are made with cheap materials. You may have a poorly woven fabric that is the culprit. Will it hold you? The answer to that is the same as any hammock. It will hold you fine, until it fails. Inspect it carefully with each use. If threads begin to break... replace it. If they just separate but stay intact you are probably alright.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What Ramblinrev said. Keep an eye on it and you'll be okay.

I'm 200#, give or take, and I hang from 1.4 oz/sq yd material just fine (and I've been in 1.1 hammocks; they stretch just about the same as my 1.4). You should be just fine with 30d, assuming you bought it from a reputable vendor.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I have a 12' DIY made from the 1.1 MarPat from DIY gear supply. I'm 210# when I'm not telling lies, and I could be telling a lie right now. I've had no problems and I have slept in it every night for about three months now.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I have a 12' DIY made from the 1.1 MarPat from DIY gear supply. I'm 210# when I'm not telling lies, and I could be telling a lie right now. I've had no problems and I have slept in it every night for about three months now.
    Does yours have any of these marks? I like how the fabric feels quite a lot?
    Paragon Fury

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Well are some 30d ripstop nylons more suited for hammocks then others? While still being 30d/1.1?
    I'm confused at how I got these marks with being so low under the hammock weight+I take good care of my hammocks.
    Paragon Fury

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast