WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Another backyard test, this time with a buddy!

I had a little buddy in the backyard with me for a test hang for the first time on Saturday night--my 5 year old son, in a hammock I made for him from dollar-fifty bin fabric from WM. He was on a blue pad in his 15 deg TNF Tigger bag, and says he was comfortable all night, even with me constantly checking on him (he's just a little guy). I really love those bags. I got one for my daughter, too, and they are simple and keep the kids warm. They are synthetic, which means they are a bit heavy and don't compress a lot, but I don't have to worry about the kids rolling off their pads as much, either.

I was pretty pleased that it worked out, considering that this was my first DIY hammock project and all. We hung it up a week ago along with mine in order to get the bugs worked out. When hanging from the same trees, I need to hang the bottom of his just a few inches above the bottom of mine so that we "match up" when hanging.

I made the bottom out of ripstop (nylon I assume--the bolt wasn't marked) and the bug net out of some fine netting they had on clearance. It wasn't noseeum, and it's a bit heavy and stiff, but it worked pretty well. I attached it to one side only, and it flips up and over the ridgeline, and hangs over the other side. I sewed some pockets on the inside bottom edge so my little guy can store stuff there, but also so the weight will keep the netting firmly in place. I got the netting idea from Risk's site. The ends can gap a bit, but I think a loop of shock cord would keep the ends closed up pretty well. Total cost: $9.50.

I'm really excited about this hammock and how it will keep ME off the ground as well as my son. I started taking my children on an overnight backpacking trip for their birthdays last year, which they think is pretty awesome. They love to spend a couple days 1 on 1 with Dad, and the woods provide endless fascination. Only problem (for me, that is) was that we had to take my backpacking tent, which meant I couldn't use my hammock. The kids aren't old enough to want to sleep in a separate tent, and I wouldn't feel comfortable enough letting them yet. Now, we have the best of both worlds! If you'd like to see a slide show of last year's trip at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky, click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonsaih...30312550/show/
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I'll bet he's one happy camper. Nice work, and I like the bug netting idea.
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Images
    Great job on your son's hammock. This kind of stuff is what being a Dad is all about. He'll remember hangin w/ his Dad for the rest of his life.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Great job! Some of my favorite memories and lessons learned where on camping trips with my Dad.

I've been wondering about my bugnet, I might have to borrow your pocket idea for a weight.
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks, all, for the comments. He really had a lot of fun, and, I have to admit, so did I.

Just to clarify, though, the netting was not really my idea. I got it from Risk's site (the link is in the above post). He did it that way to save weight. I did it because I didn't want to deal with sewing on a zipper just yet, and I'm not entirely sure I'm keeping that netting, anyway. If I can find some noseeum or something similar I'll just rip that seam and sew on the better stuff. I thought this would be the easiest way to do it for now.

Glad you all enjoyed this post!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts