HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook

DIY dog pad/ground blanket, advice requested on materials

I have an idea for a multi-use ground blanket/winter "pad" for my dog.

Basically two materials sewn on three sides with a zipper on the fourth that will allow for a thin sheet of some synthetic insulation to be inserted in the winter. Ideally one of the materials, would have a reflective side like the reflective ripstop I've seen, for heat reflection, being a dog he produces a lot of heat, I would like to prevent him from loosing much of that to the ground.

The bottom material I imagine would need to be WPB or at least DWR, and strong enough to withstand the torture it will receive from being scratched up against whatever is on the ground. I'm thinking something like DX40, but a 1.7oz ripstop may be enough? does anyone have an idea for a WPB material that is strong, WPB, and somewhat light? It doesn't need to be bullet proof, just fairly strong.

The top material I'm a little lost for ideas on. Ideally the top side would be "soft" like the "Dryline" fabric BlackRockGear uses for it's pillow, which is my first thought, however I'm not sure how strong the backing of this material is for this use. ie. ideally a D20 or maybe even a M90 type material as the backing from strength and the softness to the touch of Dryline on the top, but more durable to getting dirty perhaps?

Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: DIY dog pad/ground blanket, advice requested on materials

Any reason your dog cant sleep on foam? I think closed cell foam or reflectix would be a better option. If i understand you, your dog is going to compress the insulation rendering it ineffextive. If you want to cover the foam you could use tyvek for the bottom like a ground cloth, but with the pad itself being waterproof its probably not needed.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A simple closed cell foam pad works well. 2' x 2' will accommodate most dogs.
    For packability, you can segment the pad into smaller sections and put them into a sleeve with pockets. Similar to the Segmented Pad Extender (SPE) Link to JJ's must read hammock info page

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    I've tried CCF, and he refuses to lay on it, at least in warmer weather, he ends up finding a patch of leaves and laying there. if I try and put the foam pad at that spot he just finds another spot. I don't know why, but he just won't do it. He will, at home, sleep on the 1/2" memory foam dog pads I found at Ocean State Job Lot, so I'm hoping something softer like a synthetic insulation will be enough to make him happy.

What I've been using recently that he likes is the paw-print for my Nemo tent, which weighs >1lb, thus my thoughts on this solution. It's a soft material which I think he likes.

My concept is something he can lay on similar to the paw-print, but both smaller in dimensions and lighter in weight. The insulation idea is mostly for padding, which is why I think a reflective layer for heat, like the reflective ripstop, would be good to use.

I may find he doesn't want any padding and I could fore-go the whole zipper idea, but I figure I'll give it a shot and see what he thinks. in the end I may even just make two, one with and one without "insulation".

thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    My black lab Gus won't sleep on anything but the ground, he will lay in the mud before he sleeps on a pad or anything for that matter I guess it's just a me thing wanting him to sleep on a mat or something but he always ends up just flopping on the ground under my hammock. I have tried everything I can think of under my hammock and he just moves it, almost like he is to big a dog to lower himself to sleep on something other than the ground he may change his mind the older he gets just like me maybe I'll make him a doggie hammock!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You don't need WPB for the gound layer; you need waterproof. Actually, waterproof is good for the top layer, too. I'd use Tyvek for the bottom layer and silnylon for the top. Fill it with a ccf pad and put some cheap polyester insulation of top of that to make it soft. I bet you'll be stealing it to sit on, yourself.

• + New Posts