Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images

Underquilt Suspension Ideas (diagram added)

I have been researching UQ suspension a bit since I am looking to DIY an IX underquilt soon. In one of Shugs videos he mentions that some people have a problem with the UQ not staying in place at the feet because the feet are kind of sticking way out there (on a full length UQ I assume). I have definitely had this problem. The solution he gives is to make sure to cinch the suspension up real tight on the foot side and to leave the other foot-end corner a bit looser. It occurs to me that this would only work with a suspension attached at each corner. But I really like the idea of easy adjustability and a good seal that a through channel suspension gives. I also read about the latest LeighLo suspension and that fixes the sealing but I would still like some adjustability. I don't like how it ties off to the UQ. So here's what I thought up. Please tell me if this has been done and what your thoughts are on this.

Attach a couple of cord locks to a through channel style UQ, one at each of 2 opposite corners (head-side/head-end and foot-side/foot-end), using a loop of non-shock cord. The cord loop should pass through the center hole of the cord lock. Now string the shock cord suspension through the channels like normal and also through the cord locks. What you should have now is a normal through channel style UQ that hold its position unless you release the cord locks. It won't be as easily adjustable as a standard through channel suspension but it's not permanently fixed in place at least. Plus I think it might fix some of the problems inherent to the through channel design.

In my head at least, this should give you the ability to cinch up the cord lock ends tight without tightening the whole suspension and compressing the UQ. It should also help with the problem of your feet or shoulder not being covered well. Also, it might help if you have issues with the UQ sagging/bunching up to the middle.

Edit: See attached diagram

Another idea to help give an asymmetric flair to the UQ is to tie it off to different points along the ridgeline. Use a triangle thingy but bring the 2 tie off points together and attach the foot-side/footend to that point. (this would only work with an exposed ridge line)Then connect the non-foot-side/foot-end a little further away, maybe where the triangle thingy connects to the hammock or where the hammock suspension connects to the hammock. Then use the same concept for the head end.

Thoughts anyone? Has any of this been tried? Am I overlooking some major flaw? Have I described everything well?

--Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nomoore; 10-05-2013 at 09:09. Reason: Add a diagram

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    so if im understanding this right the cord lock grip the shock cord and prevent the quilt sliding along the suspension? if so what is the purpose of the small non shock cord loop? sorry its late here and my brain is struggling to visualise!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images
    The small non shock cord loop is to secure the cord lock to the UQ. It goes through the locking hole because there isn't a mounting tab. Plus, as far as I know the cord lock is supposed to have 2 cords through it anyway and would potentially work better that way.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    For your first idea I need pictures or a diagram to understand just what you're trying to say.

But as far as the asym thing goes I've started toying around with that same idea. I tried using two prussiks on my RL so that I could offset the ends. I've also played with having one side of one end attached at the hammock end like normal and and the other side of that same end attached to a quilt hook on the hammock. I don't have anyone to lay in the hammock while I check around outside of it so it's kind of hard to figure out if any of it's working or not. As soon as I have an assistant I'm going to explore it more. But I do think you could be onto something so keep messing with it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings

Re: Underquilt Suspension Ideas

I have been using the triangles to pull up the suspension on hammocks with the bug net because I can't attach them to the ridgeline.
    On the open hammocks, I have been using Dutch quilt hooks on a prussik tied to the ridgeline. I tried using them tied in different positions to make the quilt asym, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. It created gaps that bothered me. I have settled on one hook at each end to make it easier for me to close up the gaps and keep the quilt in place.
    Hope that makes sense and these pics help make what I can't explain a little clearer.

"I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    DH DB 11'x72'',WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OMW 144'' Black
    Insulation
    UGQ 40*+0*,Inc 20*
    Suspension
    dutch & whoopie
    Looks just fine to me! I will try this mode of suspension for my UQ.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    For your first idea I need pictures or a diagram to understand just what you're trying to say.

I added a diagram. Does this make it clearer?

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I cannot take credit for this idea. There was a recent thread but I cannot find it now. My suspension is a loop sewn onto each corner of the UQ. 4 loops sewn onto the edge of my hammock in the appropriate place. The UQ loops are attached to the hammock loops with 6" of elastic cord and cord locks.

Absolutely the easiest suspension I have tried.
    AND absolutely the best seal betw. UQ and hammock of any suspension I have tried.

This weekend I packed my hammock with UQ attached as described in a bishop bag. I was able to deploy hammock and UQ in under 30 seconds. The UQ did not need any adjusting.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I knew this was an asym post, but forgot by the time I decided to post. However, the system I mentioned may have some use in asym. Just sew the loops on the hammock asym. If it doesnt work no time, money or gear lost.

the complexity on this stuff is alarming; some serious thinking going into this engineering!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast