Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentor-Camping Buddy Needed

I am still pretty new to the area and I don't meet people easily. Pathetic I know.

And my other half doesn't camp. And lives in the world where the boogey man is behind every bush.

Soooo, in order to keep peace I need to find a friend to camp at the same time I do.

Somehow it seemed pervy asking around work if anyone camps.

I had hoped to car camp just to get out sometime this weekend,( as I am off sat, sun, mon, tues could have gone on one or all nights) and mayble fiddle with some amsteel and practice learning suspensions with a tarp.
    Last edited by Shelly O'Smelly; 10-05-2013 at 10:25. Reason: formatting fail

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Exclamation

Based upon your user name i assume you are female, if i am wrong please forgive me, i recently changed my user name for several reasons and one small reason was i was mistaken for a girl once or twice.(saedy)

Anyway that being said if that is the case i would ask you to be careful when metting new people.
    As far as that goes this is most likely one of the safest sites on the web to do so.
    For the sake of safety post who you are going to meet, make sure they are a member that did not just sign up today .
    This advise is all mute if you are a male , i am a very prtective person as it is a scarey world.
    I have been on this site and a member for a couple of months now and i am still amazed how friendly and helpful the people are

Good luck,
    Over protective husband
    Zilla

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My suggestion is to plan on getting to the Texas group hang in Nov. You can check out all the options available but maybe more importantly actually rub elbows with people who might fit your bill _in person_. That might make for safer feelings all around. If you can introduce your other half to the boogey man behind bush it may be easier to get out.

Not to flame zilla... but for me his advice is _not_ moot if you are male. It is a reality for any one dealing with on-line people meeting. Sad but true.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My suggestion is to plan on getting to the Texas group hang in Nov. You can check out all the options available but maybe more importantly actually rub elbows with people who might fit your bill _in person_. That might make for safer feelings all around. If you can introduce your other half to the boogey man bush it may be easier to get out.
    This is an even better way to get to know hangers in your area, great idea!

My suggestion is to plan on getting to the Texas group hang in Nov. You can check out all the options available but maybe more importantly actually rub elbows with people who might fit your bill _in person_. That might make for safer feelings all around. If you can introduce your other half to the boogey man behind bush it may be easier to get out.

Not to flame zilla... but for me his advice is _not_ moot if you are male. It is a reality for any one dealing with on-line people meeting. Sad but true.
    +1, 2 and 3 (thats all three of my personalities voting, )
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

TX Hang

I have my reservations for the Nov Hang. I'm just socially challenged, lol.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'm out about twice a month (usually with others from the site) and you are welcome to tag along with us on any of our adventures. Just keep an eye on the planning thread. We are going to Texoma next weekend. It's a great trail and doesn't cost anything to camp
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

I would love to go But I have a commitment that weeked.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Contact my son, Yorik Mori. He's a member and lives in Carrollton. He's a noob, but I've been sending him gear and information. He's hung his Hennessy in the yard a couple of times. Sometimes it helps to solidify what one knows when one tries to tell someone else what one has just learned.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly O'Smelly View Post
    ... my other half doesn't camp. And lives in the world where the boogey man is behind every bush.

I had hoped to car camp just to get out sometime this weekend,( as I am off sat, sun, mon, tues could have gone on one or all nights) and mayble fiddle with some amsteel and practice learning suspensions with a tarp.
    Figuring out a way to give some peace of mind to the ones you love is really important. Several suggestions already made can help with that, but don't underestimate the value in it.

+1 Meeting in advance with your SO along is an excellent idea. AND I also agree that it makes no difference if you are M or F, caution just makes plain sense.

Group hangs are excellent places to fiddle with amsteel and tarp suspensions.

Another idea is to meet somewhere locally for some set up practice. I bet if you started a post asking for DFW/North Texas/Metroplex hangers to meet one afternoon for some practice you'd find some helpers. I know there are a lot of good folks up there, (directional orientation makes sense coming from a south central Texas person), who have already demonstrated a willingness to help others learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I'm out about twice a month (usually with others from the site) and you are welcome to tag along with us on any of our adventures. Just keep an eye on the planning thread. We are going to Texoma next weekend. It's a great trail and doesn't cost anything to camp
    Caveman is one of the good guys, in spite of what everyone says about him.

You can also look up the folks coming to the November hang this year, (stalk them, read their posts for this event and others, see their comments from previous years), and send some messages to those close to you.

I have an annual conference I attend that happens to be in the Metroplex frequently, (Allen this year in a couple of weeks), and what I've done in the past is post an invitation for folks to meet for coffee, dinner, or a beer and conversation so that we can get to know one another better before a hang.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast