Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps

I've slept in a hammock before, but this weekend was a "test" of sorts.

Previously, we had spent a 3 day weekend in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. The weather was decent, and we slept in hammocks with nothing but bug nets. It was very comfortable, and I slept better than I'd ever slept in the outdoors in a tent. That was the first time I'd ever slept in one.

This weekend, we went to the cabin my girlfriend's family has about an hour and a half from Duluth. I, of course, took my hammock gear. I found two trees just right for my purposes, and had the hammock up in about 10 minutes. I knew it was going to rain and be rather windy this weekend, so I hung a tarp as well. With nothing but a tarp to keep the wind and rain off of me, and a hand-me-down sleeping bag, I slept like a dream, even in 45°F weather.

At one point, the hammock was swaying gently back and forth because the wind was blowing so hard through the trees, but it was still a VERY relaxing weekend.

I'll never camp on the ground again. Ever.

One question, however, came to mind during this outing. How far above the hammock should the ridgeline be for the tarp? I felt a bit closed in, but that might have been from having the edges of the tarp secured so close to the sides of the hammock, and I was unable to stand up (I'm 6'2 and some change) under the tarp where I had it setup?? Also, it was a square-ish (10x8) tarp. Is it best to hang it as a square, or as a diamond? I went square because it seemed like the rain would have gotten in had I hung it as a diamond.

My current setup is:
    ENO double nest modded with whoopie slings instead of the carabiner system it came with.
    Whoopieslings.com Single Line Tarp Ridge Line
    ENO bug net (didn't use this outing)
    1" cargo straps converted to "slap straps", using a marlin spike hitch w/ aluminium toggles.

The tarp I had was just a standard, blue, cheap wal-mart type tarp. I'll be getting a real tarp soon. Debating on a hex vs square at the moment.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I'm about your height and I too find that I can't comfortably stand up under my rain tarp, but I DO find that I am much more comfortable than I would be in a tent. You could always hang the hammock a little higher to raise the rain tarp if you wanted. I tend to leave my hammock around "chair height" for putting my shoes on in the morning.

If the weather is nice, hang as a diamond. If it's raining or threatening rain or you don't like wind, hang as a square. I use a hex tarp myself so it's a little of both. I'm debating what to do with my 2 tents now that I have 3 hammocks. >_> I'm not addicted though. Honest.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdire View Post
    One question, however, came to mind during this outing. How far above the hammock should the ridgeline be for the tarp? I felt a bit closed in, but that might have been from having the edges of the tarp secured so close to the sides of the hammock
    No straight answer for that question, it depends on the the anticipated weather.
    For cold or windy/rainy days I'll hand the tarp a bit closer to the hammock so I can 'batten down the hatches' and keep the nastiness from blowing in. On the nicer days the tarp can be strung up quite a bit higher with the sides staked out pretty far or even in porch mode to really open up the view.

Once set up, the tarp doesn't take long to make a height adjustment, so feel free to move it around a bit and see what she can do.

Jason

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    No straight answer for that question, it depends on the the anticipated weather.
    For cold or windy/rainy days I'll hand the tarp a bit closer to the hammock so I can 'batten down the hatches' and keep the nastiness from blowing in. On the nicer days the tarp can be strung up quite a bit higher with the sides staked out pretty far or even in porch mode to really open up the view.

Once set up, the tarp doesn't take long to make a height adjustment, so feel free to move it around a bit and see what she can do.

Jason
    +1 on that. The closer it is to you, the warmer you will be and the better it will keep blowing rain out (unless the rain is blowing down the centerline of the hammock).

The diamond might give you a longer ridgeline, but you have to be careful to insure that it will cover your head and feet when you lay on the diagonal.

Images
    As they said, it all depends. If it's warm and no rain I'll have it up so I can stand. Cold and/or bad weather, setup up right to the ground.

If the tarp covers you pitched square, I'd stick with that. You see diamond shaped tarps mostly with the minimalist crowd, wanting to shave off any gram they can. I personally prefer a full tarp with doors all year long. Bad weather can roll in anytime. Plus with the fabrics used today, the extra bulk/weight is so small I wouldn't consider getting a smaller one.

• + New Posts