Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

System Test

With the temps expected to drop just below freezing last night I decided to do a backyard test of my planned Maine in June sleeping system.

HH Adventure Racer
    JRB 11 x 10 Cat Tarp pitched like a tent
    JRB Summer Stealth Quilt rated 40º – 45º
    Montbell Ultra Light Alpine #5 bag rated 40º
    Medium weight polar fleece top and bottom
    Wool socks
    Small watch cap
    GoLite Down Jacket
    Torso 3/4" CCF pad

Crawled in around 11:00 pm. Started off without torso pad and down jacket. Woke around 2:00 am (mother nature) and draped the down jacket over my shoulders and went back to sleep. Around 3:30 woke a little cool on my hips and shoulders. I added the torso length foam pad and slept fine until 6:00 am. All in all I was pleased considering that I am a cold sleeper. It never got below freezing. The low at 6:00 am was 34º. This was my first night in the Adventure Racer. It wasn't bad. Of course it is not as roomy as my HH ULBP but I do not move around much and it saves my 15 oz over the ULBP.

Images
    Sounds like success!

Southmark, I think you are overstating the Racer hammock's weight savings a mite. The Hennessy UL Backpacker weighs 20 oz (hammock only), so how could the racer be 15 ounces lighter?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Southmark, I think you are overstating the Racer hammock's weight savings a mite. The Hennessy UL Backpacker weighs 20 oz (hammock only), so how could the racer be 15 ounces lighter?
    I don't know, but I want a 5 oz hammock!!!!!!!

Seriously, good job on a system test. Any test that doesn't involve you bailing and going inside for the remainder of the night is a gooooooood test.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    TAK,

HHAR is 15 oz incl the tarp/fly, about 6 oz for that model... so HHAR hammock only is about 9-10 oz

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    TAK,

HHAR is 15 oz incl the tarp/fly, about 6 oz for that model... so HHAR hammock only is about 9-10 oz

pan
    Well, a Hyperlite weighs a pound, and is the same size as a BPUL, so that racer must be absolutely miniscule, IIRC it's demensions are slightly shorter and ten inches narrower? Must be made from some thin stuff, I see why they don't offer them for sale anymore.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The racer weighs exactly 11 oz on my digital scale without fly. My ULBP weighs 26 oz on same scale without fly. That is a savings of 15 oz. I use the same fly for both and the same tree huggers for both.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, a Hyperlite weighs a pound, and is the same size as a BPUL, so that racer must be absolutely miniscule, IIRC it's demensions are slightly shorter and ten inches narrower? Must be made from some thin stuff, I see why they don't offer them for sale anymore.
    Yes it is small (and is extremely thin material but I am anal when it comes to gear care. You are right that Hennsey does not make them anymore. They were originally designed sort of as a throw away for adventure racers. They had a disclaimer on their web site stating that they were not recommended for backpacking but I am stubborn. I picked this one up used over on backpackinglight.com. It was a prototype and is actually smaller than the production model. Just had to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Yes it is small (and is extremely thin material but I am anal when it comes to gear care. You are right that Hennsey does not make them anymore. They were originally designed sort of as a throw away for adventure racers. They had a disclaimer on their web site stating that they were not recommended for backpacking but I am stubborn. I picked this one up used over on backpackinglight.com. It was a prototype and is actually smaller than the production model. Just had to try it out.
    One of the Jacks (JRB guys) has used a racer quite a bit with no problems. If they would make one from the same stuff they make the hyperlite from I would have to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    The racer weighs exactly 11 oz on my digital scale without fly. My ULBP weighs 26 oz on same scale without fly. That is a savings of 15 oz. I use the same fly for both and the same tree huggers for both.
    Your backpacker UL is heavier than mine or something is wrong with my scale. Do you have the 250# rated ridgeline?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast