Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

New guy from Mississippi

Hey everyone:

Found this site after googling Hammock reviews. I am wanting to get a hammock to pair with a backpacking tent or to use in solo-hiking/backpacking.

One of the reasons I want to get a hammock is to encourage myself to get out more and exercise. Although I was once in really good shape, a few athletic injuries has led (over the years) to packing on extra pounds I need to get rid of.

Locally, the only brand is ENO hammocks and I am leaning that direction because of access and the extra weight limit these have. However, I see a lot of posts seem to indicate there are a lot better models out there.

On a budget of $150, is the ENO DN still a decent hammock to choose or are there a few other brands I need to take a look at? I am not too fond of the opening on most of the Hennessey's but will def need a skeeter net living in Mississippi.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. If you have access to a sewing machine, you might try DIY. It looks a lot harder than it is.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    No access to a sewing machine. Definitely a BIY, rather than a DIY. Ha!

Welcome to the fray. Where abouts in MS?

John

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Welcome from the south end of the state. Have you looked at what the skeeter beeters have to offer. Had the standard at frist, but found I was too tall to fit well. The PRO turned out to be real nice. I would still be in it if I had not given a Blackbird the try out.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Welcome from the North! Being new on the forum, I would watch the For Sale thread for a few days before committing to an ENO. Not knocking them and actually took one along on the AT a few weeks ago as a "lounger" and a "chair". Took JRB Bridge as my primary sleep hammock. I started with a Eno and still love it, but I ended up wanting more (and more, and more, and more....) The point I am trying to make is your 1st hammock purchase could be your last (only for a while though) if you are patient and ask lots of questions here and decide on a nice cottage hammock or a possible DIY from someone on here. (or HH) You will end up investing a lot of money trying to find that perfect hang if you are not careful. The full ENO setup is most of the time, the same price as a nice integrated setup. What do you not like about the openings on the HH. I have a HH Deluxe sidezip and love it. (i am not fond of the bottom entry if that is what you are talking about) Slept in it last night, until the wife called me at 4AM and notified me that both of the kids were awake!!! Cheers and good luck. There is much to be learned here and everyone is most helpful.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Welcome to the fray. Where abouts in MS?

John
    I live in Tupelo. I like to hike a lot up at Tishomingo State Park and over in Alabama in Sipsey. I mostly camp with my family but may do a little solo hiking to try and get more exercise.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    Welcome from the North! Being new on the forum, I would watch the For Sale thread for a few days before committing to an ENO. Not knocking them and actually took one along on the AT a few weeks ago as a "lounger" and a "chair". Took JRB Bridge as my primary sleep hammock. I started with a Eno and still love it, but I ended up wanting more (and more, and more, and more....) The point I am trying to make is your 1st hammock purchase could be your last (only for a while though) if you are patient and ask lots of questions here and decide on a nice cottage hammock or a possible DIY from someone on here. (or HH) You will end up investing a lot of money trying to find that perfect hang if you are not careful. The full ENO setup is most of the time, the same price as a nice integrated setup. What do you not like about the openings on the HH. I have a HH Deluxe sidezip and love it. (i am not fond of the bottom entry if that is what you are talking about) Slept in it last night, until the wife called me at 4AM and notified me that both of the kids were awake!!! Cheers and good luck. There is much to be learned here and everyone is most helpful.
    It is mostly the bottom entry I was not as fond of in the HH. Plus, they didn't seem to have quite the same weight limits as the ENO or some of others like the Warbonnet Blackbird which I just discovered because of this site.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78573 Take a look MississipVol. You may be in luck! There will be a 2 night hang at Dismals Canyon over in Phil Campbell, AL next weekend. We will day hike in the Sipsey on Saturday if you would like to join us. There should be a lot of different setups you could try out. Man you are too close not to take advantage of this!! Hope you can make it!

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    welcome from east tenn.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast