UGQ Winter Dream vs. WB SuperFly

First post! ... I'm relatively new to hammocking but I am already hooked. Watched just about every YouTube video out there.

Looking to upgrade the diamond cut tarp that came with my Hennessy Ultralight.

Rather than purchase a 'standard' hex cat cut tarp AND then something more protective for winter it seems to make sense to me to just go ahead and get a more protective tarp from the beginning that can be 4 season functional. Seem reasonable?

I am looking at both the WB Superfly and the UGQ Winter Dream. I'd like something with doors and panel pull outs. These seem like very comparable tarps. Also ... WBSF has 132" ridge seam, UGQ WD has 132" or 144". In y'alls experience, is that extra 12" needed/critical?

Thanks in advance!

Images
    needed, no. nice to have, I could see it. especially during a nasty storm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The extra 12" is good to have if you get an 11 foot hammock. Many hammocks out there are 10 feet or less. The extra hammock length helps eliminate calf ridge pressure. Both are good manufacturers so you can't go wrong with either. The Wilderness Logics Old man winter tarp is also comparable. If you are not a gram counter, then using a larger tarp with integrated doors all year round makes sense.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I'm looking at these 2 as well. @Bubba brings up something I'd been wondering. Since I'm looking at the WB XLC, seemed strange they only offer a tarp that's just as long as their hammock. It's why I'm leaning towards the Winter Dream. Just wish it came in camo. I might email Brandon and see if there's a Superfly XLC in the works.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    The SF covers the XLC. As to a larger tarp, I always thought I would get a smaller one but have enjoyed the coverage of the SF.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Winter Dream

I have the longer version of the UGQ Winter Dream and love the extra room. Also, in bad weather being able to truly close and secure the doors on each end with snaps is really nice.

Michael

Images
    An 11' hammock and an 11' tarp are not the same length, the hammoc's 11' length hangs in a big curve while the tarps 11' length is in a straight line. The hammock's "ridgeline length" is what you need to be looking at...An 11' hammock has a roughly 110" ridgeline, so for practical purposes an 11' hammock is 110" long (9.16 feet) from one end to the other, so it's easily covered by a tarp with an 11' ridgeseam, an 11' tarp over an 11' hammock gives you about 11 inches of overlap at each end of the hammock, then if you need more coverage than that you can close the doors for "full" coverage. An 11' tarp with doors fully closed is the same protection you get from an 12' tarp with doors closed or 13' tarp with doors closed for that matter.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-09-2013 at 11:58.

I'm sold ... Warbonnet it is!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I'm an unabashed superfly fan but I gotta say that I saw that fella that runs underground quilts hang two blackbirds side by side under a Winter Dream tarp a couple summers ago and was fairly impressed.

Others have said it better but it's worth repeating that extra ridgeline length doesn't give you the extra usable space under the tarp that extra width does. Not to mention that more width also equates to more head room in a low pitch.

I use a XLC under an 11' ridgeline tarp and don't feel the need for a longer tarp.

David

• + New Posts