Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Diy climashield top quilt question

Hello all. I finished up on my new top quilt last night. It is 1.1 rupstop with 5.0 climashield. So far the test run was good. It ended up being a little too short, about 6 inches or so. I am thinking of making an oversized baffle about 6 inches across and the full width, sewing that on the head end so it can wrap around my neck and shoulders. What do you all think? Do I give the quilt to someone shorter or do you think the baffle idea will work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ray Jardine uses what he calls a gorget as an option on his quilts. They are just as you describe but I don't think they are the same width all the way across. They taper from the edge to the middle of the quilt. I see nothing wrong with adding one to your quilt. I would make sure the seam is on the outside so it won't irritate you.

Hammock
    dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    bullfrog
    Insulation
    leighlo top&bottom
    Suspension
    woopies

baffle

That should work just fine,I've made a top quilt and a combination top and under quilt with 5 oz cs got down to 28f toasty warm

Hammock
    dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    bullfrog
    Insulation
    leighlo top&bottom
    Suspension
    woopies
    Should work great.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Draft collars are always nice if you're going to be using your quilt below freezing. Above, I've found that they really aren't necessary, but drafts are so cold once you get below freezing that collars are worth their weight.

I'd make sure to do it as a tube and sew it so that the seam running the length of the tube is the portion that gets sewn to the outside top of the quilt (so that irritation doesn't occur from the seam against your throat).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    It will more than likely be the first of many, or at least a couple more. You may have one that is trimmed down as small as possible for long treks in the summer and you may want one thicker, longer and wider for the snow trips and one inbetween for the majority of your trips. May is the operative word there, and one strictly from observation and personal experience.

It would make a great Christmas gift for a special son, daughter, neice or nephew but as always, HYOH.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I added a collar to the top quilt last night and tried it out overnight in the backyard. It worked out great! It only got down to 46 degrees but I was toasty warm. It is amazing how light the quilt is compared to my military green bag that I have been using! Next is a summer quilt. The diy stuff is just way too fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Ray Jardine uses what he calls a gorget as an option on his quilts. They are just as you describe but I don't think they are the same width all the way across. They taper from the edge to the middle of the quilt. I see nothing wrong with adding one to your quilt. I would make sure the seam is on the outside so it won't irritate you.
    I like the gorget on my Jardine Quilt, but there are times I'd rather it wasn't there. As soon as I'm done making stuff to outfit the Grandkids for Christmas, I'll be making a 5.0 TQ for myself that will have that as a feature.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eviscerate3 View Post
    I added a collar to the top quilt last night and tried it out overnight in the backyard. It worked out great! It only got down to 46 degrees but I was toasty warm. It is amazing how light the quilt is compared to my military green bag that I have been using! Next is a summer quilt. The diy stuff is just way too fun.
    Yah, it looks good. I made a nice lightweight Prodigy Clone out of 2.5 Climashield with a 1.1 ripstop outer shell and an Argon inner that I've been using every night for the past couple of weeks. Weighs next to nothing and if it performs as well as my Prodigy does, it will be good down to 40*. Its nice to have something that will keep you comfortably warm in a 30 degree or more temperature range without getting too hot or too cold.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I like the gorget on my Jardine Quilt, but there are times I'd rather it wasn't there. As soon as I'm done making stuff to outfit the Grandkids for Christmas, I'll be making a 5.0 TQ for myself that will have that as a feature.
    Hello, just curious what those times were when you would rather it not be there? i had thought about trying to make it removable but could not come up with a good way to attach it. The only thing i could come up with was velcro and that seemed heavy and most likely uncomfortable.

• + New Posts