Tarp
    Exped Tarp II
    Insulation
    Therm-a-rest
    Suspension
    DIY Woopie Slings

N00b needs help!

Hi,

I have just brought my first hammock an Exped Scout, and I have problems getting a constant good hang.

The suspension is different compared to other like, ENO Singlenest, I have attached a adjustable ridgeline but still get problems with ridges/uneven fabric tension. Will a structural ridgeline work with this kind off hammock, or is more a NON-structural ridgeline?!

Can anyone give me a hint to set this up in a repeatable way.

/J

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Are you laying diagonally?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Exped Scout Hammock
    Tarp
    Exped Tarp II
    Insulation
    Therm-a-rest
    Suspension
    DIY Woopie Slings
    Yepp, I am trying to lay as diagonal as possible.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    You may already know this. . .

When I first started hanging up hammocks I was amazed at how little change is required to make a noticeable difference in hang feel. An inch longer on one strap--change in hang!

As you have added a ridge line this adds a variable. So you may already be doing this, but a good amount of set up, hang, change something, try it out, rinse and repeat is an excellent education process.

good luck!
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j.m View Post
    I have attached a adjustable ridgeline but still get problems with ridges/uneven fabric tension. Will a structural ridgeline work with this kind off hammock, or is more a NON-structural ridgeline?![/IMG]
    I always thought an adjustable ridgeline *is* a structural ridgeline?

I'm afraid that you'll only get to a comfortable lay by trial and error. Hang the hammock differently until you found the right hang. Then keep the ridgeline adjusted to that length (I would then replace it with a fixed ridgeline).

Usually, the rule of thumb is that the ridgeline should be ~83% of the hammock body. The Exped website claims the Scout has a length of 3.25m. So maybe try setting the ridgeline to ~2.70m.

I wonder, though: what's the reason for buying a camping hammock with strings in the end? My experience with that type of hammock is that the strings get tangled up quickly. I would also imagine, that with a camping hammock, the attachment point of the strings to the hammock body would be a weak point. The traditional hammocks have strings in the end because they're part of the body.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I wonder, though: what's the reason for buying a camping hammock with strings in the end? My experience with that type of hammock is that the strings get tangled up quickly. I would also imagine, that with a camping hammock, the attachment point of the strings to the hammock body would be a weak point. The traditional hammocks have strings in the end because they're part of the body.
    Not sure, but I know that WV was playing with a couple of designs that used shroud lines a ways back (one of 'em was his right-angle hammock, which might've been the initial impetus). So, they've got to offer something or he wouldn't've continued using 'em on his designs...no idea what, though...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Not sure, but I know that WV was playing with a couple of designs that used shroud lines a ways back (one of 'em was his right-angle hammock, which might've been the initial impetus). So, they've got to offer something or he wouldn't've continued using 'em on his designs...no idea what, though...
    I can kind of understand why the Exped Ergo is using lines; I assume that the different kind of lay (is that a "right-angle" lay?) makes it necessary. But in a normal camping hammock, I can't see the advantage. It would be interesting to know the reason behind it.

Hammock
    Exped Scout Hammock
    Tarp
    Exped Tarp II
    Insulation
    Therm-a-rest
    Suspension
    DIY Woopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The reason a bought it was that my local supplier just sells Exped hammocks and they usually now what they are doing, for instans the tangeling problem is minimized with "snake skins", and wanted a ultra light hammock.

Thanks a lot for the input, I will use a little more scientific approach on setting up it until I find the optimal hang.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    True, not many shops sell hammocks. In Europe even less than in the US. I wish I'd find a shop that sells Exped hammocks. I would love to test the Ergo. Heard good things about it.

Well, good luck with finding the sweet spot. If you continue to have problems, maybe just for fun try and make your own gathered end hammock. The DIY section here has some nice tutorials, and the materials shouldn't be too expensive. Sometimes hammock and user simply don't fit together. I sold a couple of hammocks which didn't work out for me. It just happens.

• + New Posts