Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Asym Tarp

I like being able to see your corner detail. I'm tempted to make a tarp so that sort of information is appreciated. I'll probably make something larger than the standard tarp that came with my HH. Rectangular with doors, I think.

Just curious, but why use plastic D rings on a tarp instead of a plain loop of webbing/x-grain? To avoid wear on the webbing?

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I agree, looks pretty great, now string an 11'-er under it to show us how much room you have in that mansion!
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Looks great LB
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    yeah man looks great. I'd like to see more pics if you could. I"m curious to see how much coverage you get with that.
    Your wish is my command - see pictures below.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Some people are just born with a talent and LB is one of them
    Nice work@..
    Yeah, I wish. I'm self taught on 85% of everything I can still remember how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
    I like being able to see your corner detail. I'm tempted to make a tarp so that sort of information is appreciated. I'll probably make something larger than the standard tarp that came with my HH. Rectangular with doors, I think.

Just curious, but why use plastic D rings on a tarp instead of a plain loop of webbing/x-grain? To avoid wear on the webbing?
    I find this type of corner to be extremely strong. Here's the winter tarp I made : https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77129
    I now use 3/4 beastee rings for everything instead of metal rings. It weighs less than 20 oz. without suspension. I use the rings so I can really crank it down hard - it's very windy here in Indiana. The grossgrain ridgeline is extremely strong.

Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I agree, looks pretty great, now string an 11'-er under it to show us how much room you have in that mansion!
    Thanks! You too have a wish fulfilled - see below.

The hammock you see is my latest and it is 11' 6" long. There's 18+" clear at both ends - I hung the hammock so you can see the ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Those pics got me thinking about a nap out in the yard

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Asym tarp

Nice work as usual FB...I made one of those myself from the DIY plans on Scott's site...My complaint was without a ridge line seam the tarp bunched up along the ridge line and would not pull taught...I see from your pics that yours has similar bunching too along the ridge line ..I ultimately scrapped the tarp and would add a flat felled or French seam if I make another one...the HH Asym tarp I have has a flat felled seam and it pitches nice and tight....Keep up the good work!!

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fortran42 View Post
    My complaint was without a ridge line seam the tarp bunched up along the ridge line and would not pull taught...I see from your pics that yours has similar bunching too along the ridge line.
    Really nice job on the tarp. Thanks for the pics.

I too like the tarp but have the same concerns about the ridge line. I was wondering if a reverse tie out on the inside of the ridge line corners that would allow a sort of structural ridge line under the tarp would raise it back up. The material stretches so much along the diagonal is why this occurs. I am getting ready to make one soon and will report on how this works.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    You got sewing skills! Looks great!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fortran42 View Post
    Nice work as usual FB...I made one of those myself from the DIY plans on Scott's site...My complaint was without a ridge line seam the tarp bunched up along the ridge line and would not pull taught...I see from your pics that yours has similar bunching too along the ridge line ..I ultimately scrapped the tarp and would add a flat felled or French seam if I make another one...the HH Asym tarp I have has a flat felled seam and it pitches nice and tight....Keep up the good work!!
    Thanks! Your floppy bunching complaint is valid, but for a light weight mild weather tarp, it fits the bill. Also the best part is it can be made quickly. I think this tarp is only really meant to keep bird poop off my hammock and me.

I'm a huge fan of a ridge line in a tarp - I now only do the warbonnet method in tarp ridges as the construction time is cut drastically - it's also very strong and doesn't need seam sealing.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanguru View Post
    Really nice job on the tarp. Thanks for the pics.

I too like the tarp but have the same concerns about the ridge line. I was wondering if a reverse tie out on the inside of the ridge line corners that would allow a sort of structural ridge line under the tarp would raise it back up. The material stretches so much along the diagonal is why this occurs. I am getting ready to make one soon and will report on how this works.
    Yes - also a ridge line run under the tarp would work well. I only want to use this in very clear/mild weather. It sets up fast!

I think I'll try a diagonal ridge line as a experiment - it wouldn't add much more than an ounce to the total weight, but would be as easy to set up and use as a minimalist tarp and still be a rectangular tarp. Hmmm....yeah, that would work. Gotta make time to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    You got sewing skills! Looks great!!
    Thanks Mountnman! My Singer 201 makes the beautiful stitches - I just feed it the thread!

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Asym tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Thanks! Your floppy bunching complaint is valid, but for a light weight mild weather tarp, it fits the bill. Also the best part is it can be made quickly. I think this tarp is only really meant to keep bird poop off my hammock and me.

I'm a huge fan of a ridge line in a tarp - I now only do the warbonnet method in tarp ridges as the construction time is cut drastically - it's also very strong and doesn't need seam sealing.
    Do you think the warbonnet ridge line method would work okay for the Asym tarp? I would like to give one a try as I hate sewing flat felled seams! No complaints about your work, it's Excellent..just observation about the ridge line..I personally like Asym/diamond tarps especially if the bad weather isn't in the forecast...but just in case it does rain.
    Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast