Hammock
    Byer Moskito and Barbados
    Tarp
    Byer Rain Fly
    Suspension
    Byer Micro Rope

Your ideal winter hammock set up

Here is my set up so far. Easy Traveller to sleep in and I want to use another hammock (my Traveller Lite) to hang under and then use something for insulation. I have a 40 degree sleeping bag.

Anyone use a similar set up? What I need to know is what can I put between the two hammocks for insulation? What is your best suggestion for a pad or other items and how low can I go? What temp would your suggestion allow me to get down to?
    Thank you.
    Danny Hammock
    www.ByerofMaine.com

Images
    Trying to use another hammock to support a sleeping to use as an uq will cause you more fiddiling and headaches that you want. The bag will be shifting and sliding, it'll never stay where you want it. Plus the colder it gets, the less you want to mess with it, and the more you'll need that quilt hung right. You would be better off attaching the bag itself to the hammock ends. There are many threads in the DIY section on turning a bag into a quilt.
    Then you can use that hammock as an uq protector if you'd like, attaching it as well to the hammock ends. Will hold the heat in the quilt better, which wind can rob your quilt of.
    Dutch makes a variety of quilt clips to make things stay put better too.

Hammock
    Byer Moskito and Barbados
    Tarp
    Byer Rain Fly
    Suspension
    Byer Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Trying to use another hammock to support a sleeping to use as an uq will cause you more fiddiling and headaches that you want. The bag will be shifting and sliding, it'll never stay where you want it. Plus the colder it gets, the less you want to mess with it, and the more you'll need that quilt hung right. You would be better off attaching the bag itself to the hammock ends. There are many threads in the DIY section on turning a bag into a quilt.
    Then you can use that hammock as an uq protector if you'd like, attaching it as well to the hammock ends. Will hold the heat in the quilt better, which wind can rob your quilt of.
    Dutch makes a variety of quilt clips to make things stay put better too.
    Sorry for the confusion. I will be hanging the second hammock under the hammock I am sleeping in and using the sleeping bag inside with me as my top quilt. Now i need suggestions for insulation to go into my second hammock that will be hung under the sleeping hammock attaching it to the hammock ends.
    Danny Hammock
    www.ByerofMaine.com

Images
    so you want to use the second hammock to hold your bottom insulation? That's what I was saying, it won't hold it right. You want to attach the insulation itself to the hammock, not use a second to hold it up.
    I think what your looking for is and underquilt, something like these for example...
    http://undergroundquilts.com/uq/default.html
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/quilts/

you can also make them yourself out of an old sleeping bag, poncho liner, etc...

you can also buy a premade shell and stuff it yourself. can buy the down from a cottage vendor or cut up an old down comforter.
    http://underquilts.com/shop/

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    It especially won't work too well holding a pad as per the forum you posted in. However, what you could do is use the second hammock as a garlington insulator. Though I would suggest a poncho instead of a second hammock. Inside the garlington taco, place 1 (or 2) garbage bag(s) with crumpled up emergency blankets and just barely enough air to not have them squashed. Goose neck the ends and seal with a rubber band (better is a piece of cord with a clove hitch.) The Garlington Insulator has been around a long time and works extremely well. http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/Hammoc...r/Original.htm

• + New Posts