WL Lite Owl or Snipe/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF/Superfly/OMW
    Insulation
    Quilt/Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/AWS

Question re UQ Weight

I have a question - probably stupid - about an UQ I recently purchased. It's a partial length quilt for which I ordered a couple of additional ounces of down. Because I ordered two additional ounces of down, I expected the quilt would weigh roughly two ounces more than the weight listed for the standard quilt, without any additional down. My quilt, however, weighs less than a half ounce more than the standard quilt. I realize these quilts are custom made and are not cranked out using a precise mold, but I still expected there to be more of a weight difference. I'm happy the quilt doesn't weigh more from a backpacking standpoint but I'm concerned that perhaps it doesn't have the full benefit of the additional down I ordered. Perhaps I'm misapprehending the effect of two ounces of additional down on the overall weight. I emailed the vendor but so far have received no response. I thought someone here might be able to tell me whether my concern seems well-founded or not. Thanks.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    --General George S. Patton, Jr.--

Hammock
    wwbb 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    wb adj.webbing
    I have the same question. I have an underquilt that weighs a couple of ounces less than the manufactures website lists it at. It not quite as warm as I thought It should be.....

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    2 oz is 2 oz. The question is how much variation in weight does a typical quilt see, and were there any design changes from when the advertised weight was taken? I can't answer that, but the vendor should have some idea.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If its HammockGear, I've had issues with getting direct answers to my questions regarding what's on the website. Some of the weights may be prior to using the Argon material as standard.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes it could be a newer shell fabric that is lighter or even 900 fill down rather than 800 or 850. Best to keep trying the vendor.
    Have his tel#? Call 'em and email.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Over the past few years,,,I have bought about 12-14 UQ and TQs for the wife and I,,(when I buy one for me,,I have to buy one for her ) and,,most of the quilts I have found, come in under what the advertised weight is, by sometimes, 1/2 oz all the way to 1.5 oz,,which is fine by me. the ones I have had a extra oz or 2 have been on the money all the way to a 1 oz more in advertised weight and I think a lot as to do with the suspension, material usage, as they make the quilts they refine their workmanship here and there,,and that can change it a dash here and there. I wouldn't worry about it as all our cottage makers overstuff from the git go and your covered by the temp rating and that is more important to me than anything. Enjoy the quilt and its lightness is all I can offer you as I am sure,,its a fine piece of workmanship and will serve its purpose.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl or Snipe/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF/Superfly/OMW
    Insulation
    Quilt/Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/AWS
    Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses. I'll see if I can get any clarification from the maker but in any event will look forward to putting the quilt to good use very soon.
    Last edited by Old Curmudgeon; 10-11-2013 at 19:58.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    --General George S. Patton, Jr.--

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    Another possibility is there are allot of us who like very light gear and may buy one over another just because they want to save weight. if your more liberal with your advertised weight you will be safer. There are not many who would complain about their gear weighing to little but over weight even 2oz on a couple pieces of gear ads up
    Cummins powered.
    Gear: superfly tarp gt double hung from whoopies and an eno bug net.
    WBBB XLC under a super fly

• + New Posts