Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

Help for JCP puffer underquilt

Hi all,
    I'm newer to hanging and DIY, but I am very inspired and grateful to everything I have learned so far. This Forum rocks and everyone here has been so generous with knowledge.
    I have recently ordered 9 JCP3XLT puffers and am looking forward to trying to make my first underquilt. (I have already made Whoopies and fronkey bugnets, though I paid the cleaners to do the sewing). The coats just arrived and now I am curious as to the best method to making them. I read all 37 pages on the underquilt, but there didn't seem to be a set tutorial as to how to make this. That is not to say there wasn't loads of information; thank you for inspiration Deerfu, HB, and everyone else on that thread.

It seems that the original design was to sew the bottoms of two coats together, remove the arms, and close the holes. Then attach grosgrain along the edge for the suspension system. Later, HB and some others really ramped it up by detaching all the panels and resetting them to form a classic underquilt model. My 2 questions are one, is there a consensus as to which method is the most effective for warmth? And two, is there a clear set of directions to go along with the patterns of either or both of these designs?

Also, if there is another design that is more effective, please let me know. Remember, this is my first real sew project, so if the results are extremely similar, I would prefer the job that is easier to undertake
    Thank you all again. I am really excited about this one. Everything people made looked amazing.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I have made both styles and the one which you sew the two bottoms together and cut off arms and sew the holes together had cold spots for me. Where the arms were it does not lay against my hammock so I cut some of the material out and sewed it back and worked better.

The disassembled one works great. It is alot more work but worth it in my opinion. You just have to be careful while seam ripping because the fabric is easy to cut. I would actually start ripping the seam with a seam ripper and they pull the pieces apart, I had no issues when doing it that way and it went rather quickly.

As for the sewing together, its not difficult at all. Just have to take your time. I would push all the down away from the seams I was about to sew and it went together nicely.

Hope that helps!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    I have made both styles and the one which you sew the two bottoms together and cut off arms and sew the holes together had cold spots for me. Where the arms were it does not lay against my hammock so I cut some of the material out and sewed it back and worked better.

The disassembled one works great. It is alot more work but worth it in my opinion. You just have to be careful while seam ripping because the fabric is easy to cut. I would actually start ripping the seam with a seam ripper and they pull the pieces apart, I had no issues when doing it that way and it went rather quickly.

As for the sewing together, its not difficult at all. Just have to take your time. I would push all the down away from the seams I was about to sew and it went together nicely.

Hope that helps!!
    That helps a lot, thank you so much!: I would definitely rather put in the extra work if the results are there, and now I know they are. Also, you connected the questions I had in my head about seam ripping and sewing.
    As far as ripping though, if I start ripping at the top of the seam, and then pull it apart, (carefully of course), I don't have to worry about the down pouring out, do I?

Where did you come up with 9 of the jackets?

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    "Grapenut" makes a pretty awesome under quilt out of the JCP puffer jackets . I would send him a pm. He could certainly put you on the right track.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    i like your avatar inspectorguy.
    and ditto. wheres the hookups

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    JCP, of course!!! However, they are now out of the 3XLT, but I do see some 2XLT and some 2XL left, but how many are left, I have no idea

They are on clearance for 25 a piece, but there is also a 15% off promo right now, which would make a coat $21.24. Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    "Grapenut" makes a pretty awesome under quilt out of the JCP puffer jackets . I would send him a pm. He could certainly put you on the right track.
    thanks for the heads up. I will def reach out to him. I really appreciate how helpful everyone is here. Cheers

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm newer to hanging and DIY, but I am very inspired and grateful to everything I have learned so far. This Forum rocks and everyone here has been so generous with knowledge.
    I have recently ordered 9 JCP3XLT puffers and am looking forward to trying to make my first underquilt. (I have already made Whoopies and fronkey bugnets, though I paid the cleaners to do the sewing). The coats just arrived and now I am curious as to the best method to making them. I read all 37 pages on the underquilt, but there didn't seem to be a set tutorial as to how to make this. That is not to say there wasn't loads of information; thank you for inspiration Deerfu, HB, and everyone else on that thread.

It seems that the original design was to sew the bottoms of two coats together, remove the arms, and close the holes. Then attach grosgrain along the edge for the suspension system. Later, HB and some others really ramped it up by detaching all the panels and resetting them to form a classic underquilt model. My 2 questions are one, is there a consensus as to which method is the most effective for warmth? And two, is there a clear set of directions to go along with the patterns of either or both of these designs?

Also, if there is another design that is more effective, please let me know. Remember, this is my first real sew project, so if the results are extremely similar, I would prefer the job that is easier to undertake
    Thank you all again. I am really excited about this one. Everything people made looked amazing.
    Take a look at my thread listed below and see what you think. I really like that it's 2 layers and one of them zips out to become of all things... a down coat!
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    That helps a lot, thank you so much!: I would definitely rather put in the extra work if the results are there, and now I know they are. Also, you connected the questions I had in my head about seam ripping and sewing.
    As far as ripping though, if I start ripping at the top of the seam, and then pull it apart, (carefully of course), I don't have to worry about the down pouring out, do I?
    I didn't have to much problem with the down coming out. I would rip the seam slowly by pulling it as I watched for any open spots. If there was one I would push all the down to the side and run a quick tight sea next to the one I was pulling apart then continue. Worked out well the material is really tough.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast