11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: LNT Recommends 2-4-inch Webbing Straps

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I imagine any worthwhile scientific testing for cambium zone damage would have to involve hundreds of trees of differing varieties using many strap/suspension configurations repeatedly dynamically loaded over a period of time involving all seasons followed by core sampling a few years later to compare ring growth, etc., etc.

I doubt we will ever see this happen unless one of you wants to donate the funding.
    That's why both sides are just guessing and challenging the other to show proof. Neither wants to commit the resources.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I imagine any worthwhile scientific testing for cambium zone damage would have to involve hundreds of trees of differing varieties using many strap/suspension configurations repeatedly dynamically loaded over a period of time involving all seasons followed by core sampling a few years later to compare ring growth, etc., etc.

I doubt we will ever see this happen unless one of you wants to donate the funding.
    Exactly. Unfortunately it seems any rules will be based on hearsay evidence and ultimately decided by someone sitting at a desk.

For the record, I feel comfortable with my 1" webbing, but wouldn't make a fuss having to use 2".

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    From the LNT site
    We will ensure our information is science-based, effective and changing people’s behavior in the outdoors. - See more at: http://lnt.org/about/what-we-are-wor....SUcXnmHj.dpuf

A number of us are just asking to see the science before changing. The OP made it sound like the opinions of a bunch of people as opposed to science based recommendations, which is why he thought having a study done might be worthwhile (not to put words in his mouth).

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    The OP made it sound like the opinions of a bunch of people as opposed to science based recommendations, which is why he thought having a study done might be worthwhile (not to put words in his mouth).
    At the very least, you would think the LNT center might seek input from some group that might have some experience.

If only there existed a collection of individuals who have endeavored to enter the woods and actually hang hammocks from said trees. If only this group could collectively do this over and over and over for a period of several years, refining their techniques as they progressed. If only this group shared their ideas among each other advancing the techiques which were most successful. If such a group were to exist, the LNT would certainly take advantage of that valuable resource when formulating any recommendation.

I know, I must live in some fantasy world were reason has a place. Perhaps I'll seek medication to cure myself of these delusions.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    ...A number of us are just asking to see the science before changing...
    Is the LNT form of science anything more than "State Park surveys"? I doubt that State Park surveys will address cambium zone damage....how much trash they perceive to be left behind...maybe.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    At the very least, you would think the LNT center might seek input from some group that might have some experience.

If only there existed a collection of individuals who have endeavored to enter the woods and actually hang hammocks from said trees. If only this group could collectively do this over and over and over for a period of several years, refining their techniques as they progressed. If only this group shared their ideas among each other advancing the techiques which were most successful. If such a group were to exist, the LNT would certainly take advantage of that valuable resource when formulating any recommendation.

I know, I must live in some fantasy world were reason has a place. Perhaps I'll seek medication to cure myself of these delusions.
    Most excellent OCDave!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    If only there existed a collection of individuals who have endeavored to enter the woods and actually hang hammocks from said trees. If only this group could collectively do this over and over and over for a period of several years, refining their techniques as they progressed. If only this group shared their ideas among each other advancing the techniques which were most successful. If such a group were to exist, the LNT would certainly take advantage of that valuable resource when formulating any recommendation.
    What's considered a successful technique here at HF? Something that saves pack weight, or something that minimizes our impact on the environment where we recreate?

I've read thousands of messages here at HF, and haven't seen a lot of talk about going back to examine possible damage to trees. (Yes, Shug has pics of his backyard trees, and I've seen a couple of other examples....but not a lot...till this thread was started.)

OTOH, lots and lots of talk about saving a few grams by going to narrower and narrower hammock suspension straps (or even 7/64 cord with a fabric tube to 'protect' the tree) can easily be found.

And, there are posts here about 'campcraft' -hackin' and sawin' and buildin' and campfires, (and introducing the young 'uns to this camping style) so HF doesn't seem to be a hotbed of LNT thinking.

I'm not saying that LNT (LeaveNoTrace) camping is the only appropriate way, just that it is not surprising to me that the LNT movement doesn't consider us (as a 'community') here at HF a valuable resource.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    What's considered a successful technique here at HF? Something that saves pack weight, or something that minimizes our impact on the environment where we recreate?

I've read thousands of messages here at HF, and haven't seen a lot of talk about going back to examine possible damage to trees. (Yes, Shug has pics of his backyard trees, and I've seen a couple of other examples....but not a lot...till this thread was started.)

OTOH, lots and lots of talk about saving a few grams by going to narrower and narrower hammock suspension straps (or even 7/64 cord with a fabric tube to 'protect' the tree) can easily be found.

And, there are posts here about 'campcraft' -hackin' and sawin' and buildin' and campfires, (and introducing the young 'uns to this camping style) so HF doesn't seem to be a hotbed of LNT thinking.

I'm not saying that LNT (LeaveNoTrace) camping is the only appropriate way, just that it is not surprising to me that the LNT movement doesn't consider us (as a 'community') here at HF a valuable resource.
    I see your point but, hammocks in general leave little to no trace compared to tents. And as a community, the majority of us participate in using webbing for our suspension to the tree vs cordage. Personally I believe that we lean towards leaving less trace than most methods of wilderness camping just by the very nature of our shelter.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    ...I've read thousands of messages here at HF, and haven't seen a lot of talk about going back to examine possible damage to trees...

OTOH, lots and lots of talk about saving a few grams ...

... it is not surprising to me that the LNT movement doesn't consider us (as a 'community') here at HF a valuable resource.

So, let's change that. Rather than accept limitations placed by someone who is not invested in our hobby, rather than "bemoan" our lot, do something!

VictoriaGuy, I'm sure you've hung from the same trees multiple times over the years. What size straps do you use. What impact have you seen?

hk2001, you've seen damage to trees. Do you attribute that damage strictly to the strap width or did the tree size or species play some role?

Most hammockforum members have trees they have returned to over and over. What impacts have you seen? Should LNT center be made aware of those experiences?

DemostiX is absolutely 1/2 right, 'stead of bemoaning... elegant...solutions are required.

Many of the most experienced hammockers in the world are the members of this forum. If anyone in the world should value changing the LNT's guidance statement it should be this forum's members.

ANYONE want do DO anything about it?
    Last edited by OCDave; 10-24-2013 at 20:25.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Images
    Nah, not tonite anyway...ask me again tomorrow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast