HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line

Cutting the cord Question

Recently I put Garda Rings on a new DIY ENO with fantastic success.

Now I'll do one of my Hennessys, probably the Explorer, which will be the crash-test-dummy cuz most of the time it is the loaner and short-distance-hike-fair-weather-weight-is-no-problem hang. The HHBPA and DIY Mutts get to all the good places.

Jeff provided a way to clove hitch Garda Rings to the intact line which goes thru a binner(or hugger loops) and back to the rings.... nice and it works BUT I think ringing close to the hammock has sufficient advantages to cut the cords.

I tarp separately from the hammock suspension line, but wonder if there may be a problem if a SuperShelter is in my future -- preliminary check indicates about 18' end line will provide line space for knots and the girth hitch ... but will cut a little more of course.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The attachments for the super shelter are elastic shock cord so there is some flexibility there. I don't know how much rope I left when I cut mine off but I could measure it and find out if no one else has a figure. I used the stock ropes to larkshead the rings and then tied off the extra with a loop and some stopper knots for a clean finish.

I have 9" from the end of the covers to the larkshead on the rings. It works fine for me. YMMV. I have used small biners to hold the elastics for the under and overcover so they do not release from the hooks and slide under the snakeskins.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I have 9" from the end of the covers to the larkshead on the rings. It works fine for me. YMMV. I have used small biners to hold the elastics for the under and overcover so they do not release from the hooks and slide under the snakeskins.
    The 9" -- Could you get by with it a little closer, IOW fewer inches.

The reason is that virtually of my hammock use is in the back country and often good hang trees are a little closer than I'd like --- OTOH sometimes but not always the size of the tarp pushes the tree spacing. My Hennessys are typically used w/o a set up tarp in our summers which contrary to popular notion are quite dry.

EDIT -- I just realized that the 9" is where I would park the SnakeSkins

PS -- Dad was a country preacher for about 25 years then a missionary in Haiti for about another 20.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    The 9" -- Could you get by with it a little closer, IOW fewer inches.

The reason is that virtually of my hammock use is in the back country and often good hang trees are a little closer than I'd like --- OTOH sometimes but not always the size of the tarp pushes the tree spacing. My Hennessys are typically used w/o a set up tarp in our summers which contrary to popular notion are quite dry.

EDIT -- I just realized that the 9" is where I would park the SnakeSkins

PS -- Dad was a country preacher for about 25 years then a missionary in Haiti for about another 20.
    To set the SS up per (correctly?) remembered directions, you first set the tarp up per the directions on the stuff sack. Then, whatever that gives you on the prussicks, that's what you use to hang the SS from. I think that is right. That includes not tightening the prussicks until you have applied some tension to the sides ( a pre-tensioning I think to reduce tarp sag when you get in) but I don't think many folks actually do that last part.

So, even if you hang your tarp from the trees, if you just set it up per original directions, that should give you a good idea of how much rope you need to make enough room to slide your prussick/hooks for correct tensioning of the SS, plus maybe a bit extra. I think mine worked out to about one hands length ( to the hooks). That is what I used when I removed my HH ropes and replaced with a shorter piece of Spider line to the cinch buckles. That was on an Explrer UL, might be dif on another model.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    That is the correct way to set up the super shelter. If, of course, one has the stock tarp to use to do it. hehehehe

By the time I got my super shelter I had already cut up my stock tarp to make my HH Hex winter mod. So one improvises.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    The deed was done yesterday... about 9 inches cover to rings....can shorten or lengthen an inch or 2 if necessary.

No problem at all because this hammock will never get a SS, the other HH might.

Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's how I've rigged mine. I put a small Figure 9 biner on my ring buckles and attach the SS and pad to this. The bottom line is the SS and the top is the pad.

• + New Posts