Question about underquilt

I have been hammock camping for about two years. I will never go back to a tent. During the winter, I have used a walmart closed cell pad under me to keep me warm. It works, but is far from great.

I am looking for a better way to stay warm. I know very little about under quilsts. Please give me what you believe to be the best system. My hammock is a Hennessy Deluxe Explorer A-sym.

Are there any good pictures or vids that show underquilt set-up with my hammock? Thanks in advance.
    It's all good!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There really is no "best" system. Each person will give you different opinions on what works for them and I doubt any 2 systems will be the same. Start by reading through the under quilt forum and check out Just Jeff's page on staying warm for pictures and details.

You may also look at the JRB, Speer, and KAQ websites
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    There really is no "best" system. Each person will give you different opinions on what works for them and I doubt any 2 systems will be the same. Start by reading through the under quilt forum and check out Just Jeff's page on staying warm for pictures and details.

You may also look at the JRB, Speer, and KAQ websites
    What I am wondering, is will all systems work with my Hennessy, or do I need to look for certain ones that are desigend for mine? Will pretty much all of them work?
    It's all good!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Welcome!

jacksrbetter.com, tothewoods.net, and this site provide EVERYTHING you need about underquilts, and hammocking in general.

I have used a JRB nest for years underneath my hammock. Couldn't be happier. The new Driducks poncho weathershield from JRB is a great addition as well.

Good luck, and ask lots of questions.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have recently adopted the Super Shelter and am very pleased with the system. Prior to that I used some DIY quilts based on the pre-recommercial KAQ designs. I think there may be some vids of my suspension for them in the Cheap under quilts vid. That may or may not be helpful
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Most under quilts will work on any hammock, but may require a bit of tweaking for optimal fit. Some quilts have features that help them work better with the HH, like side tie out loops that correspond with the asymmetrical tie outs on a HH.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone40on40 View Post
    What I am wondering, is will all systems work with my Hennessy, or do I need to look for certain ones that are desigend for mine? Will pretty much all of them work?
    Unless you get a zipper mod tat allows you to get the net completely out of the way, the super warm Speer PeaPod will not work on a HH. And the great WarBonnet designs would probably be a problem, because you would want to be able to reach out and adjust after you lay down. But most other JRB and Speer Snug fit ( I guess, does it work with bottom entry?) or KAQ ( and of course a HH SS) should work fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Unless you get a zipper mod tat allows you to get the net completely out of the way, the super warm Speer PeaPod will not work on a HH. And the great WarBonnet designs would probably be a problem, because you would want to be able to reach out and adjust after you lay down. But most other JRB and Speer Snug fit ( I guess, does it work with bottom entry?) or KAQ ( and of course a HH SS) should work fine.
    My thoughts exactly. I haven't found one that doesn't work on a HH, but the ability to reach outside the hammock once you're in it is critical for the Yeti.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    the UQ's i make in 2/3 length work well on the HH line. Get in, and put your leg pad in place. Voila!

i think any 2/3 quilt will do great. Ive found the small UQ+leg pad combo to work better in all hammocks ive tested (skeeter beeter, HH explorer, 2 diy Bridge's and the BB)
    a leg pad performs multi-duty... pack frame, fire fanner, sit pad, and if reflectix, a signal "mirror" (it works)
    that is what I believe to be the best "system" as per your original question. 2/3 quilt is less bulk, less weight and you dont have a gap under your legs. I still feel confident in my belief that full length UQ's leave gaps, and to avoid under leg gaps you have to over-compress the torso area. I have tested this on numerous hammocks at different sags, and found the shorter UQs just plain work better. that's why I make 'em
    my 2˘

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    the UQ's i make in 2/3 length work well on the HH line. Get in, and put your leg pad in place. Voila!

i think any 2/3 quilt will do great. Ive found the small UQ+leg pad combo to work better in all hammocks ive tested (skeeter beeter, HH explorer, 2 diy Bridge's and the BB)
    a leg pad performs multi-duty... pack frame, fire fanner, sit pad, and if reflectix, a signal "mirror" (it works)
    that is what I believe to be the best "system" as per your original question. 2/3 quilt is less bulk, less weight and you dont have a gap under your legs. I still feel confident in my belief that full length UQ's leave gaps, and to avoid under leg gaps you have to over-compress the torso area. I have tested this on numerous hammocks at different sags, and found the shorter UQs just plain work better. that's why I make 'em
    my 2˘
    Does that apply to your DIY bridge? Though I think JustJeff might have had a different experience, I don't seem to have any gaps at all when using my MWUQ with the BMBH. Though I do often use a "mod" of a piece of shock cord attached to tiny grip clips to give a little extra "lift" on the foot end, though I'm not sure it is really needed at all with the BMBH. But it seems to help a great deal with when using my MWUQ with my BB.

It is hard to argue against the weight/bulk efficiency of a torso length UQ with a leg pad, as I always have a pad with me any way. But I must admit that it is awfully convenient, comfortable and warm when I use my MWUQ/BMBH combo. Never any concern about staying on a warm spot when moving around, warm head to toe or even above my head, like if I have an elbow up a bit over my head like I do on my side sometimes.

• + New Posts