HH Explorer deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat LW 9
    Suspension
    sft shckls/whp sln

Your first time hanging/My first time hanging

My first time hanging was Oct 12, 2013. I picked a place I knew and had been to many times before. It had good spacing between the trees and it would not be hard to find a spot where I could hang my hammock. I went out into the wilderness and left civilization a good 200 yards behind me. It was a perfectly secluded spot and I could hardly hear the runners, dogs, planes and farm equipment. A double layer of grey clouds covered the sky, temperature in the mid 40’s, the wind was blowing and it was just a matter of time before the rain would come down on us. Us, me and my partner, a 120lb malamute mix with one brown and one icy blue eye and a broken fang.
    We got there at noon and I immediately started settings up my HH. I bought it with the larger Hex fly and the long 96” webbing straps. I picked 2 trees and setup the webbing straps, ‘biners and descender rings. I attached the hammock using the Garda hitch (yeah, I know the lingo), tightened it and sat down, h a r d, on the ground. – What the Hel(sinki)!? The hitch was done right, and the rope was still around and through the rings, so what’s the problem? I just tightened it again and sat down (you say: - I don’t think this guy is right in his head). This time it held, go figure!
    On to the tarp – I had memorized two knots for this first outing, the Prusik and the other one (yeah, I know). I wanted to use the other one to keep my Tarp ridgeline taught. Hmm, how did that joker with the clean hands and manicured nails do it in the Youtube video? Dang it, two knots and I forgot one of ‘em. Well, I gotta get that tarp up because it’s probably gonna rain. I’ll do my special knot then. I’ll tie a knot and then another one on top of that one and then another and another until this thing isn’t going anywhere. What shall I call it? The trip…, no, the quintuple special. Anyways, I got the tarp up and tied a couple of Prusiks to attach the tarp to the ridgeline (using a couple of sticks). To tighten the tarp I wanted an adjustable knot for the guy lines and all I had to do was to rap this line around that line 3 times and then come back and a… Hey, that’s the other knot! Whoo-hoo, my brain is not damaged. I remember how it’s done (but what i s the name of that sucker ?). Now I can redo the tarp ridgeline. I felt the tension on that rope and decided against it. It’s my first time, gotta give me some slack.
    Great. Done. Time for some relaxing and getting a fire going. I’m feeling the heat from the fire and I lie down and look up at the sky. Maybe the weather will hold and it won’t rain. I see the sky through the canopy, the clouds moving fast in the wind and the tree limbs all dark and threatening, really threatening actually. Those branches look dead and rotten. I mean those branches right over the hammock. Sh**t, what’d the old timers call it – the widow maker? But I’m not even married. Crap, I have to move it. I don’t wanna die on my first try! Found new trees and set it all up again but this time I used ‘the other knot’ for the ridgeline and tarp ties and I added a slippery something to secure the Garda hitch (why is that one so easy to remember?).
    I set the tarp up base camp style with one side open so I had a nice view of the surroundings. The hammock was very comfortable and I could have easily slept through the night but we had made camp right on a wildlife high traffic intersection apparently and my partner was bouncing of excitement a l l n i g h t l o n g! It is hunting season and the deer and boar that is prevalent here did not settle down after dusk. I tied my partner to one of the hammock trees and had him on a 30 foot leash running through my hand. I got up a number of times and made noise just to divert traffic and avoided a close call with a group/pack of wild boar. Phew! Dog and boar, I suppose that’s the same as wolf and boar, in the boar’s mind. My sidekick changed from barking at the deer to growling at the boar – there’s a difference between them to him too, you know. As the night passed I did fall asleep a few times and I know my buddy moved around, through and underneath the hammock but when I woke up and it was light outside, a l l the tarp guy lines were still in place. Can you believe it?!
    I made a few other mistakes and somehow got all the rain that had fallen during the night and was still on the tarp on to my backpack and other gear but it didn’t matter. I know I have a comfortable system that’ll only get better as I use it more and get more familiar with it. It will work with the dog I have now and I can’t wait to try it in colder snowy conditions. I just wanted to share this with you guys here at the forum and maybe you’ll laugh at me and maybe you’ll reminisce about your first hanging. Either way, this is the way to go no matter how many knots you know.

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thanks for the trip report, and I'm glad that you've got a great sense of humor.
    Also, welcome to the forums. =]
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
    --Guessing Emerson didn't practice Leave No Trace

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. -- R.G. Ingersoll

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Great first post to the forum! Welcome to the madness. With a little practice you'll be able to tie all the knots with your eyes closed.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Great trip report. Sounds fun, educational and comfortable. What are you doing next? Oh, the obligatory pictures or it didn't happen!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    Welcome! (Wilkommen? Welkom? Bienvenue? Velkommen? Tervetuloa? Powitanie? Välkommen?) +1 on "this madness".

your post was a great read! My first hang was on my girlfriends patio. It's arranged so that I can hang the hammock between the upper deck supports. I remember getting it all setup just right, and then sitting gently down and absolutely freaking out at the sound of the straps taking the strain with a short sort-of moaning sound. I thought for sure I was heading for the ground. so did she.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY 7.44oz with suspension
    Tarp
    WL tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ & WL TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna glide Woopie
    Welcome, sounds like a successful trip minus a few challenges. Thanks for the trip report!
    "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
    -Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Ropa, great, funny report. I remember my first hang like it was yesterday. It was, in july. The sound of the suspension tightening had my heart racing. Knots, I practiced and practiced and practiced with 2 feet of paracord one red one black. Remember the knots? I cant remember where the cord is.

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great trip report Ropa! Boar..... Those guys are nasty. When you do your longer trips will you have to do a boar hang for your food?

My first hang was pale in comparison, it was in my backyard that was rife with squirrels, skunk and raccoon. I was afraid to move much for fear that a skunk would get testy and let loose. My friends thought I was crazy and one even said that baby skunks might find my body warmth attractive....that I would wake up with some cute little black and white friends.

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the start of a great thread.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat LW 9
    Suspension
    sft shckls/whp sln

Thanks y'all for the warm welcome and comments.

Thanks y'all for the warm welcome and comments.
    - I do hang my food but that's so that I don't eat all of it the first day. I'm teaching myself to ration

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Good trip report Ropa, gave me a good laugh, and reminders of a couple not so successful hangs. Practicing in the backyard is a huge help.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast