diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images

Anyone use low R inflable pads for lift/flat lay in a bridge during the summer?

Contemplating switching from an XLC to a WBRR, mainly on basis that I like that the flat lay with a pad lets me sleep on either side in a really comfortable position.

Been thinking about it, and I suspect the pad is comfortable not because it keeps the corners from curving up around my shoulders and head, but because it lifts me out of the "U" shape enough for the curve to be lessened and to provide greater arm room.

This is all fine and dandy in colder temps when the pad is providing lift and insulation. My question/concern has to do with summer temps though.. going with a thinner pad will help with warmer temps, but won't provide any lift thereby making the hammock unsuitable for my side sleeping needs (just tested with doubled up GG pad, wasn't good).

So I'm curious if a) I'm an idiot for thinking that lift/flattened lay is that important and I should ditch the conversion idea altogether, and b) if not, do people who like the lift/flat lay just use something like a torso length NeoAir Trekker (R=2) or an Exped AirMat (R=0.7) in the summer?
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Anyone use low R inflable pads for lift/flat lay in a bridge during the summer?

People use pads for comfort on the ground and are fine. Your bed at home has a fairly high R value. I think you will be fine.

Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I retried my old Therm-a-rest standard (20"x1.25") and camp rest (25"x2") full length pads in my WBRR last night. This was indoors at 70* and I let a small amount of air out of both pads.

Both pads helped flatten the lay across my shoulders while the wider pad provided additional room for my arms to rest on the flattened area as well. I feel that part of the "flattening" comes from lift and part from the stiffness of the pad actually shaping the RR slightly.

I spent the night on the camp rest and the temp was fine. The back of my tee shirt was slightly damp when I woke up. I attribute this to the pad acting as a vapor barrier and not due to over warmth.

As Packeagle stated, you are on insulation with most sleep systems no matter the temperature. I had previously been using a Lynx 20* torso length UQ indoors.

I suspect that in really warm and humid weather, I would ditch the pad and "suffer".

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    I suspected I may be overthinking it, your collective point about beds having a high R value makes sense as well. I had stumbled across the NeoAir thread as well, was part of what got me curious about looking into pads + a RR in the first place. The added lift greatly increases the comfort of the RR for me, but after a few more trials I've decided it's just not for me.

Thanks for the replies.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

• + New Posts