Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Your double layer on the bottom will give the edges a different feel. I you whipped the ends (instead of channels) you might try pulling the outside corners father out in the whipping. That should tighten up the edges aand may equalize the feel between the edges and bottom to some degree.
    Thanks. That is my next step. When I put the hammock together, I did pull the side corners out about 2" further, but I think I need to go around 4 to 6" per corner per end. I'll go in steps. That's the best part, if the whipping doesn't work, take it out an do it again. Thanks for the input.

As a finishing note on the tarp. I did my own silicon treatment to the exterior surface. Using 100% silicon thinned with mineral spirits, I brushed the mixture on with a firm sponge. Works like a charm. I even treated another piece of ripstop with it just so I have a yard of silnylon handy.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by doogman4 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I have never been in or slept in a hammock before, so I am going on my gut instinct for a lot of thing.

Stretch, it just seems that the sides are very slack and the mid area of the hammock is under a lot of tension. Now the one thing I can say is I can get flat. I think that's the main objective. The way it feels is the either my feet or my head could pop out the side without much effort. But, like I said first time.
    Maybe try pulling a few more inches on the sides when you re-whip.
    Loose sides are a bit annoying but for me if they are tight I wont be able to get as comfortable. Once I am laying on the diagonal the sides usually tighten up nicely.
    When I whip my hammock I like to have one end hanging so I can see exactly what a change I have made before whip it. Also I learned here that using a double sheet bend instead of whipping is a lot faster and very secure. http://www.animatedknots.com/sheetbe...matedknots.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wish my first attempt at a tarp looked that good! Nicely done.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I agree that you've got a wonderful looking setup there. The BlackCat is especially nice. I think it's dimensions are perfect for a hammock tarp.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    You guys are very kind.

The results are a good reflection on the contributers to this site. You all can be proud of the community that you have built and the quality of information that you provide. Thank you all for the guidance.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Maybe try pulling a few more inches on the sides when you re-whip.
    Loose sides are a bit annoying but for me if they are tight I wont be able to get as comfortable. Once I am laying on the diagonal the sides usually tighten up nicely.
    When I whip my hammock I like to have one end hanging so I can see exactly what a change I have made before whip it. Also I learned here that using a double sheet bend instead of whipping is a lot faster and very secure. http://www.animatedknots.com/sheetbe...matedknots.com
    I have used the sheet bend on a trial set up. I just didn't like the idea of losing the length. And besides, speed? No need to rush for me.

I will definitely give the whip it while hanging the one end a go. That makes great sense.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    wow, making your own hammock and you've never even slept in one, you're brave!! Gotta say though that the pictures look really good. Try setting it up in your back yard or within walking distance from your vehical for you first couple of nights in it. And try to test it out in safe conditions when it's raining. That'll give you a good indication of if you need to tweek your tarp to stay dry. I've tried making some of my own gear and I've gotta say, I would be kind of nervous trying them out for the first time, but after spending the night with whatever it was, and it works, well, there's just no other feeling like knowing that YOU constructed it. Congrats on a nice job, now go test it out!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12